- Saurabh Kumar Singh, Computer Scientist at Adobe
LiveCycle PDF Generator supports HTML to PDF conversions. HTML document can be provided in any of following forms:
- Submit an html file to be converted to PDF.
- Provide http(s) URL of the html to be converted to PDF.
- Submit a ZIP file containing an entire website (zip should contain index.html at the top level) for creating PDF.
While submitting an input HTML file, the user can provide a variety of options like:
- The level to which spidering will be performed
- Whether to get the entire site or not
- Stay on same path (in terms of URL), while fetching the HTML document(s)
- Stay on same server. It is useful when you have specified spidering level of more than 1 and at the same time does not want to create PDF from html documents linked on input html if it’s on a different server.
- PDF page size and margin options
- Add bookmarks
- Enable tagging
- Set initial views settings: It contains option like which page to open on PDF open
LiveCycle ES2 PDF Generator and later provides the facility to specify Adobe Acrobat Professional as the fallback to create PDF files. A downside to this fallback is that Acrobat based conversion is single-threaded, whereas LiveCycle PDFG based conversions are multi-threaded. Also, Acrobat Professional does not honor the options mentioned above. This facility is only available on Windows. LiveCycle Administrator can also configure the Generate PDF Service to always prefer the Acrobat route. To do this navigate to Home > Services > Applications and Services > Service Management > Configure GeneratePDFService and set the “Use Acrobat WebCapture (Windows Only)” option to True.
What’s New in ES3
The HTML to PDF engine creates high fidelity PDF documents. Time taken to create the best quality PDF document may seem longer to some users. For some user a low quality PDF is acceptable, if the conversion time is faster.
In LiveCycle ES3 a new conversion engine is introduced to achieve this and get a quick turnaround time for conversions. This engine is supported on all the supported platforms of LiveCycle. Moreover this engine honors all the conversion options mentioned above. There is a bonus option of specifying header and footer text to be put in the generated PDF document. This engine acts as fallback for high quality HTML to PDF engine on UNIX machines. In order to set this new engine as the preferred route, navigate to Home > Services > Applications and Services > Service Management > Configure GeneratePDFService and set “Use ICEBrowser based Html to PDF” option to True.