Finding Answers for Installation Difficulties

Today David Johnson from Adobe Customer Care discusses some of the happenings for installers and licensing from the customer care point of view. David’s experience with customers and input from the Adobe Creative Suite 3 installation problems helped us fix the bugs that were causing retail customers the most problems in CS3. This helped significantly reduce customer support calls for CS4 installation issues. David also goes through some of the tools to help users help themselves when installation failures occur. –Eric
With the release of every product, inevitably customers will encounter some problems. Adobe Customer Care strives to provide support for current issues and to ensure that problems are addressed in future releases of our software. I am a member of the Technical Response Team, and we are the liaison between tech support agents around the globe and the engineering teams. We handle escalations, collect and analyze call trends to provide feedback to product teams on top issues.
With the Adobe Creative Suite 4 products, we greatly improved messaging around installation errors. If an installation wasn’t completely successful, you will see a dialog box with the error message encountered during the installation. The error message allows you to search for solutions in our Knowledge Base, http://www.adobe.com/support/. We are constantly creating and updating support documentation on the latest issues.
We also introduced a new tool with the Adobe Creative Suite 4 products that increases your ability to find resolutions to installation problems. In the ‘More Information’ dialog at the end of a failed or partial installation you can click Get Support. The Get Support option directs you to a tool called the Adobe Support Advisor (ASA), http://www.adobe.com/go/loganalyzer . The ASA tool is designed to analyze Adobe Creative Suite 3 and 4 logs on your machine and to display any known technical support documentation for your issue. This allows you to find solutions to your installation problem without having to search the support site or contacting Adobe Customer Care.
We recognize that we have not documented every installation problem (yet), but the ASA tool has a ‘Package for Support’ option that allows you to upload a package to Customer Care which can help us identify the source of your installation failure. The package contains your installation log file, the search results we found (which includes information on unknown issues), and a basic system information file. This information is assigned a unique token that only Adobe employees have access to.
When you exit the ASA tool you are also prompted to report the found issues to Adobe. If you click okay to accept, a small file containing statistical data about the failures you encountered during the installation process is submitted. The statistical data in that file cannot be linked to an individual machine and is intended to provide us with information on common failures.
The Technical Response Team is updating the ASA tool frequently to provide solutions for the issues we are seeing. Both Eric Wilde’s engineering team and the Technical Response Team are committed to eliminate known installation failures and the Adobe Support Advisor is a great tool that can get us there.
David Johnson
Technical Response Team

33 Responses to Finding Answers for Installation Difficulties

1. Thomas says:

simply WOW!
    Brains, man, Brains!
    Great to hear bout the improvements!

2. PerryCollective says:

Any links to the full install of Acrobat Reader 9.1? Why must I go through the “Download Manager”? It doesn’t work correctly on two different systems.

3. Piero Giobbi says:

One big wish; Please let me update users CS3/CS4/CS5/VCS6 etc. WITHOUT BEING AN ADMIN! Just do as every 1 000 000 other programs do; just authenticate as an admin okey? Why on god gray earth do i have to BE and admin to upgrade?!?!?!

4. Piero Giobbi says:

Are you sure these two are right?
    AdobeAcrobat9Core-sv_SE – This is the core payload for Acrobat 9 Pro for Romanian, Russian, Turkish and Ukranian. Without this payload, Acrobat 9 Pro will not be installed for the given locales. Note that the Mac Acrobat 9 Pro build has fewer locales supported and so only has a single, multilingual installer.
    AdobeAcrobat9Core-ru_RU – This is the core payload for Acrobat 9 Pro for Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish. Without this payload, Acrobat 9 Pro will not be installed for the given locales. Note that the Mac Acrobat 9 Pro build has fewer locales supported and so only has a single, multilingual installer.
    Looks to me that they should switch places.. : )

5. Eric Wilde says:

Piero wrote: One big wish; Please let me update users CS3/CS4/CS5/VCS6 etc. WITHOUT BEING AN ADMIN!
    Yes, this makes sense. I’ll get this added to our list of what we should accomplish in the upcoming Updater implementation. I’m not sure the change can actually make our schedule; but, it should at least get added to what we should try to accomplish.
    Are you sure these two are right?
    AdobeAcrobat9Core-sv_SE …

Thanks for catching this. Its a cut a paste error. Fixing now.

6. Piero Giobbi says:

Great!
    This is a major pain for me, i can’t upgrade CS3 without loggin in and out client/admin.
    Therefor i have not updated all our CS3 to CS4. ;)

7. Piero Giobbi says:

Thanks, that would be greatly apreciated by me and many others.
    Sorry for screaming, i was frustrated.. :)

8. vjshvj says:

I cannot install ASA.
    while installing it shows error message with number Error# 2032

9. Eric Wilde says:

vjshvj writes: I cannot install ASA.
    while installing it shows error message with number Error# 2032
    I’ll follow up in email. This is an AIR installation error and we may need to get the AIR team involved.

10. Monica says:

While installing ACS4,the first disk will not eject so that disk 2 can be inserted as prompted. There are no error codes. This happened on both attempts to install. The DVD player works otherwise. No problems with DVD reader/writer any other time. Strange?!?
    Thanks, Monica

11. Bradley Stock says:

I’ve got the same problem as Monica (19 June 2009). When installing CS4, it prompts me to insert disk 2, but won’t let me remove disk 1 (duh)!

12. Eric Wilde says:

Bradley,
    I’ve created a customer service case for you and will email you the details.
    Monica,
    Sorry, I somehow missed your comment back in June. If you’re still having a problem please let me know. You can email me directly at ewilde@adobe.com.

13. Wayne says:

Can you get this font any smaller? What is this, hard coded to 7 pts? Please activate the Font size change using the mouse wheel and, while you are at it, let the window resize. What is this, fixed for 800×600?

14. Eric Wilde says:

This is the first I heard of someone seeing this blog in a small point size. I’m seeing it in 11 pts myself. Its just the default CSS for our corporate blogs, let me check to see what the font size is.

15. Melissa says:

I’ve been searching, but haven’t found this question addressed.
    I have Dreamweaver 8 and am finally considering upgrading to Dreamweaver CS4. I just downloaded the trial version, so I can take a test drive.
    However, I’m concerned that installing the DW-CS4 trial will somehow mess up my DW8 installation.
    My DW8 is working perfectly, and I can’t really afford to mess it up, as I’m in the midst of some projects.
    Can anyone say, with any certainty, that installing the DW CS4 trial will or will not cause me problems?
    Thanks!
    Melissa

16. Eric Wilde says:

We did do coexistence testing with CS3 and DW 8, not with CS4 and DW 8. In general I expect it to work; but, it hasn’t been thoroughly tested. We have seen customer issues with using upgrade serial numbers from DW 8 (or Studio 8) to CS3 or CS4; but, I’ve not heard of actual functional problems.
    Another area where we’ve seen problems with CS4 trial installs is if the user installs trial in one language (say US English) and then serializes for a different language (say International English.) Please make sure that if you do purchase CS4 that you use the correct languages for both trial and serializing.

17. oh man ! my luck is bad in DW CS3 & CS4 says:

i’m running on vista home premium, my laptop is strong and able to run powerful softwares and games.. so it does meet the requirements
    i’ve installed CS3 , after it’s done, this message shows up:
    Errors: 2 Components
    Adobe DreamWeaver CS3
    Component install failed
    Shared Components
    Component install failed
    and so is the CS4 , after isntalling SUCCESFULLY, when i try to run the Application [ Clicking Dreamweaver.exe ] Nothings happen
    I’ve tried to run a portable version, an error message shows up: a dll file is not found
    I’m gonna get crazy >_

18. Eric Wilde says:

I’ll follow up in email.
    –Eric
    ewilde@adobe.com

19. Dave says:

Ready to buy Dreamweaver. First I installed the trial version (twice).
    However the second line of the Properties Panel only displays about one-half of the data and hardly any of the Title or Target Frame area of the panel. Thanks for any technical help.

20. Eric Wilde says:

Dave,
    This is really a product behavior question and not an installation issue. I’ve forwarded your comment to the Dreamweaver team.

21. James says:

I had the same problem as Bradley and Monica. I am now copying both disks to the hard drive to install directly from disk.
    James

22. Karen Thomas says:

While installing ACS4,the first disk will not eject so that disk 2 can be inserted as prompted. There are no error codes. This happened on both attempts to install. The DVD player works otherwise. No problems with DVD reader/writer any other time. I am using mac osx 10.5
    Thanks for your help.
    KT

23. andy says:

same problem as Karen Thomas but i’m using PC with Vista
    cheers for your help
    Andy

24. Eric Wilde says:

Sorry, I’ve been remiss in responding over the last couple of days. Just a mountain of issues to deal with right now.
    For the “first disk will not eject” issue, I’ve scoured our Knowledge Base articles and not found anything that helps shed any light on the subject. I am aware of some individuals who got around this problem by:
    (1) Mounting Disk 1
    (2) Copying the dmg to the hard drive
    (3) Removing Disk 1
    (4) Continue through the other disks
    (5) After all data is copied, mount the disk 1 dmg and start the installer.
    I haven’t tried this myself; but, please let me know what happens if somebody gets a chance to try it out. In the meantime, I’ll try to find some time on the engineering team for someone to try it. We’re pretty swamped right now and it may take a week or so before we get to it.

25. I like the blog, but could not find how to subscribe to receive the updates by email. Can you please let me know?

26. Eric Wilde says:

Its an RSS feed, so you should be able to point your RSS reader at it.

27. I like this blog very much. Please keep updating your blog. Even it is Christmas season now, I will still follow your site . I learned quite a bit from here. Happy holiday and 2011 new year!

28. Tammam says:

I need to install DreamWeaver CS4 in F drive, after installing it successfuly, and when openning it, I receive the following:
    “F:\CS4DW\Adobe Dreamweaver CS4\Dreaamweaver.exe”
    This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem”.
    Now, when I install it to default location, everything works fine, when I change the location I receive that error.
    I have re-installed dreamweaver more than 10 times now.
    I am using Dell 780 Machine and Adobe Creative Suite.
    Any help please.

29. dvd ripper says:

Good point about the difference between just scaling apps and the fuller UIs we”re getting on the i Pad. Content creation and productiviy apps are where the iPad is far ahead. A bigger screen (more pixels) is good enough for web surfing, games, and movies, but you need to redesign the interface for more sophisticated apps.This is exactly what the Ipad, Ipod and Iphone are all missing. Not only that but to be able to map a network drive and access it from any app would also be nice. Imagine being able to map a drive to your home network drive and then be able to play music or execute a file staight from there the same way you can on a PC!!!AT&T needs more android options and needs to quit bending over in front of Apple. I love the iPhone but to be honest the phones interface has not really changed at all since the day it was launched. Get some flagship android phones like everyone else. Increase your 3G coverage areas because the Edge is just unusable.

30. cheers for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and adore learning more on this subject. If possible, as you gain expertise, could you mind updating your blog with much more info? as it’s incredibly beneficial for me.

31. Nice read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch! “But O the truth, the truth. The many eyes That look on it The diverse things they see.” by George Meredith.

32. I have loaded the Adobe CS4 suite, however when i try to open the Dreamweaver CS4 application I get an error message exactly like Tamman received. The error message reads, “This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.” The path that shows up is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe DreamweaverCS4\Dreamweaver.exe I have tried reloading the application several times, reloded the Microsoft C++ 2005, and 2008 Redistributable X86, I have rebooted, and I still can’t get it to work. I am ronning Windows XP Pro SP3, Duo Core 2.3Ghz CPU, with 4 Gbt of Ram. Can you help me ? I hate the idea of having to rfemove the application, and have it end up being useless. I want to learn, and use this application, but I can’t gain access to it, I NEED HELP.