8 random facts about me…
Welcome to one of those blog posts where you get to hear a little bit of non-work related info about me. I hope to dazzle you with facts that very few are aware of in the halls of Adobe. Here we go:
1. I am an authentic hippie lovechild. Mom met my father working at a book store at 1800 Haight Street in 1969. I spent the first few years of my life at various communes in Northern California and Oregon before Mom settled down in the Sacramento region. In fact, my birth name (changed when I was 3) was Rashied Karl Delaney. Go figure.
2. My music tastes are all over the board, shifting from techno/ambient/trance to folk music in the blink of an eye. I grew up listening to a lot of 60’s/70’s classic rock, but when I hit my late teens, I had a huge penchant for punk that kicked in – Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Ramones, Black Flag. I really loved the musicianship of the early Police mixed with some punk energy – songs like “Next to You” and “Dead-End Job” are all-time favorites. Right now, I’m listening to a lot of Nickel Creek and Kings of Leon, with some Bowie thrown into the mix for good measure.
3. I would never consider myself a musician, although I try. I bought my first bass guitar when I was 17. This past year, I bought a mandolin, and, while still very much a beginner, I’m seeing progress made. I used to keep the mando handy during rendering of clips, but sadly, with CS4, I’m doing a whole lot less rendering. 🙂
4. I still love traveling, even after all these years on the road. Getting to travel internationally for Adobe fulfills one of my life-long goals of seeing the world. Seeing new places is always a thrill – I’ll be in Eastern Europe and Moscow in the next few months – but I’m always looking forward to returning to places I’ve been before.
5. I’m attempting to learn Mandarin Chinese. Wo bu shuo hao Hanyu.
6. The biggest creative weakness I’d love to overcome is the ability to draw. My skills of an artist are woefully lacking, and it hampers my creativity sometimes.
7. I am super-sensitive to caffeine. I’m not sure why, but coffee, tea, even cola can have a profound effect on me, more than the average person. however, this sensitivity doesn’t last long, and I very quickly can get into a multi-espresso-per-day habit. At least once a year, I take an extended break from the caffeine just to get back to baseline.
8. I have 2 webbed toes on my left foot. Yes, I can swim like Patrick Duffy.