by AWK

Comments (28)

Created

October 24, 2006

This post is subject to Adobe's Terms of Use.

Providing captions in Flash just got easier. Adobe is making skins for the FLVPlayback component available for use. The skins were crated by Michael Jordan and are being provided by Adobe for developers to use.
To use these skins:

1. Download the caption skin MXP file
  2. Run the MXP file to install the extension
  3. once installed, you simply select a skin from the ‘Select Skin’ dialog that is displayed when changing the FLVPlayback skin in Flash 8, as shown in the image below. Selecting a caption-enabled skin from the 'select skin' dialog
  4. the FLV file that you display in your movie must have caption data to display. These skins are designed to work with FLV files that have captioned added by Captionate.

Please let us know how these skins work for you – we’d love to point to examples!
Update: We’ve uploaded a new version of the skins with the following issues addressed:

1. The updated skins now support the FLVPlayback Custom UI Controls, with a CaptionsButton symbol to the FLVPlayback Custom UI.fla library.
  2. bug fixed where the skins cause the FLVPlayback component to throw an “Invalid contentPath” error when the FLVPlayback component instance appeared after the first frame of the swf and the contentPath url was set in the components panel.

COMMENTS

• By Tom - 10:39 AM on November 5, 2006

Can’t get these skin. IE and Safari both just give me a page with strange text characters. Any other link? Thanks

• By Frank - 1:09 PM on November 5, 2006

Thank you vary much it a great extension.
    But more wants more, I would realy like to be able to have a previus/next caption buttons for navigation (read again).
    :O) Frank

• By Robin - 5:25 PM on December 10, 2006

Great stuff, but we really really need a simple to use duration flag for captions and events so people can fwd and rwd clips and have the right data show up.
    In the meantime I’d really like to know how to send external XML caption and event data to the caption area of this skin – so I can manually deal with fwd and rwd.
    Thanks

• By meconnell - 9:14 AM on March 23, 2007

Great CC applications. Howver has anyone been able to cc encode a live FLV stream and embedd the CC data within the stream?

• By Poker - 10:01 AM on May 12, 2007

Does anyone know how to convert FLV files to MPEG?

• By Air Jordan - 10:18 PM on September 26, 2007

i think i saw those skins somewhere. i can remmber someone talking about micahael jordan creating them

• By neil - 7:10 AM on November 12, 2007

When using this component the flv file path is hard coded into the swf. This means you can’t have the path dynamically filled in by the html of the page that is displaying the flash…. or can you?
    When you add flash video in Dreamweaver to a page using one of the standard components it uses a variable in the html called ‘streamName’ which allows you to change what video is being displayed. I was hoping for something similar.

• By Adonweb - 4:36 AM on February 26, 2008

I am using flvplayback component to show my videos. When i access through a web page on local computer or webserver , i cannot see the skin and controls to show up. It shows only the video. it shows everything when i view from flash. Wht i am doing wrong? please help me..

• By Andrew Kirkpatrick - 10:44 AM on February 26, 2008

Adonweb,
    Are you uploading the skin swf file along with the main swf and flv file when you move the files to your web server? You’ll need to if not…

• By Nike Dunks - 6:18 AM on March 20, 2008

Thanks

• By Andrew Kirkpatrick - 10:51 AM on March 20, 2008

Nike,
    These skins do allow you to reference an external DFXP caption data file. Is that what you are looking for? If so, you’ll find information in the Flash help system on this after the extension is installed.

• By Jason - 10:43 AM on March 25, 2008

Can I use these skins in Flash CS3?

• By Babe - 9:50 PM on April 1, 2008

Thx, great work.

• By mark - 4:56 PM on June 18, 2008

I dont know what is wrong but something is. The install seems to work. But no skins appear in the select skin dialog. The directory where they are supposed to be does not exist but trying to reinstall says it does. Any ideas?

• By Toe Cutter - 2:45 PM on October 9, 2008

How do I embed fonts? I need to know because the fonts aren’t showing up because I have them under a mask.

• By Régie - 4:53 AM on December 29, 2008

Please help me
    i’m looking for the fla of these skins. I don’t find them in my pc as said in the extension installation kit

• By mark coleman - 6:22 AM on January 21, 2009

Hi – i’m also looking for the .fla’s for this component. they defnitely do not install as claimed… in any location … i’v now checked with 3 other developers none of them have them either after installing. anyone who has them plz email me!

• By ugg boots - 10:10 AM on April 2, 2009

• By פומה - 6:56 AM on November 16, 2009

• By Singapore Real Estate - 1:04 PM on November 26, 2009

Using the New Skins
    This is how you normally use the FLVPlayback component:
    1. Launch Flash Professional 8.
    2. Create a new FLA (File | New, Flash Document).
    3. Drag and drop FLVPlayback component from Components panel to stage.
    4. Click on the component, in Property Inspector choose Parameters tab.
    5. Set the contentPath parameter to your FLV.
    6. Optionally set the skin parameter.
    7. Press CTRL+ENTER to test the movie

• By Anu Rytkönen - 4:19 AM on January 20, 2010

Also looking for those FLA’s.. has anybody found them?

• By suze gl mortgage - 6:10 PM on February 8, 2010

I still cannot get rid of the error message when my FLA playback starts.

• By health questions - 9:34 PM on February 12, 2010

• By Mike - 9:35 PM on February 12, 2010

Great article,thanks.
    Mike
    All QA

• By jasmin live - 5:40 PM on February 20, 2010

• By Pet Supplies - 1:36 PM on March 7, 2010

Very Interesting posts here, keep up the good work

• By Aishwarya Rai - 7:29 AM on March 31, 2010

Great extention, i’m having some problems with embedding fonts though, has anyone else experienced this or is it just my computer being weird?

• By Satellite TV on PC - 8:02 AM on April 1, 2010

Useful information, many thanks to the author. It is puzzling to me now, but in general, the usefulness and importance is overwhelming. Very much thanks again and good luck!!