by AWK

Comments (8)

Created

June 18, 2007

This post is subject to Adobe's Terms of Use.

I’m pleased to announce that Matt May is joining my team at Adobe working on accessibility. Matt will be working interally and externally, with Adobe product teams and customers to address accessibility in Adobe products, ensure interoperability with assistive technologies, and ensure that customers are aware of the many accessibility features that already exist in our products.
Matt is sure to be familiar to many of you from his work at the W3C. He joined the W3C/WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group in late 2000, co-edited the first JavaScript techniques document for WCAG 2.0 in 2001, and went to work full-time for the W3C in 2002. During that time, Matt was staff contact for the WAI Authoring Tool and User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Groups (ATAG/UAAG), and the Protocols and Formats Working Group, which reviewed W3C and related specs for accessibility. Matt’s most widely-seen W3C work is probably the W3C Note, “Inaccessibility of CAPTCHA”.
In 2005, Matt co-founded a standards-based design firm named Blue Flavor, and since January, Matt led client-side development on a new merchant platform for Amazon’s enterprise group.
We’re excited to have Matt on the Adobe accessibility team! Welcome Matt!

COMMENTS

• By Sharon Eilts - 10:56 AM on June 18, 2007

Great! I hope to learn from you all!
    Sharon

• By Joe Clark - 1:37 PM on June 19, 2007

Funny, the scuttlebutt in London was that he had gone to work for Amazon, discovered that the claimed Accessibility Coördinator rôle in the NFB agreement was unstaffed, and simply taken it over, all in that order.
    I was, however, unable to verify that, due to the embargo. I see it is a moot point.

• By Andrew Meit - 10:08 AM on June 20, 2007

Thank you Adobe to hire a full time, seasoned person on Accessibility. Matt, I am disabled but well versed in GUI issues over the last 20 yrs.; I am in process of learning CS3. I would like to send you my thoughts on accessibility in CS3 down the way when your ready for them. In time you will be ‘The Man’ to help talented but disabled graphic designers to have full “Creative License” with Adobe products. ;-) G-dspeed Matt

• By Andrew Kirkpatrick - 3:53 PM on June 20, 2007

That’s why you can never trust the scuttlebutt!

• By Andrew Meit - 9:48 PM on June 20, 2007

Matt, I hope at some point you could share some of your views on Accessibility for Adobe products, what you like or dislike. Andrew, perhaps he can guest write at your blog sometimes?

• By Vivek Gaikwad - 7:36 AM on June 22, 2007

That’s a great news. I wish Matt a good luck.
    I am inspired to do research and expert not only flash(accessibilty) but also accessibility in all the adobe products. Hope to learn a lot from you “gurus” and get right there :)

• By Marvin Hunkin - 11:19 PM on August 20, 2007

Hi. a blind person, learning to use dream weaver in my web design course. now come up with a tricky one, have to design a image map with hotspots. so how do i do this with jaws? are there any scripts, tricks or techniques to do this either in the image object area, or in code view. can any one help me out? cheers marvin.

• By Becky - 11:39 AM on October 17, 2007

Hello Matt! I am given products created in InDesign and asked to make an accessible pdf out of them to put on the web. There are so many layers of formatting graphics in these. Is there an easy way to do this?