by AWK

Comments (63)

Created

July 15, 2008

This post is subject to Adobe's Terms of Use.

Adobe Reader 9 is out and I wanted to point out where to download Reader and to mention that there is a new document available to help screen reader users understand how to access PDF.
The Guide was created in conjunction with AFB Consulting (the consulting arm of the American Foundation for the Blind) and provides information for users of two tools (JAWS and Window-Eyes) to help understand what is possible and expected when interacting with different types of PDF documents that are commonly found online. The types are PDF documents that are:

1. tagged correctly for accessibility
  2. untagged, with no author attention to accessibility
  3. scanned documents
  4. interactive forms

Helping users understand the differences between these documents and how their assistive technologies can be best used is an important step toward efficient user of PDF files by screen reader users. We hope that this guide is useful, and are interested in any comments.
The guide is presently available as a PDF file, but will also be available as a series of HTML pages soon.
The guide and reader 9 can both be accessed from the Reader 9 accessibility page, at http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/reader/.

COMMENTS

• By J.J. - 9:05 AM on July 19, 2008

I Need to read the user guide to understand how it can work for me.

• By Bob Meinerding - 10:05 AM on August 6, 2008

Incompatibility using Adobe Version 9 witn PDF Converter 4. Adobe Reader works fine after PDF Converter 4 was uninstalled!

• By Dinesh Kaushal - 5:08 AM on January 25, 2009

I am a blind person and I use JAWS with Adobe Reader. I am unable to find how to use digitally signed pdf files with Adobe Reader 8 or 9. Digitally signed files only work in AdobeĀ® Digital Editions, which is not accessible. The another suggested way is to use Adobe Reader 7, but I am using vista and vista does not recommend installing Adobe Reader 7. Even if I ignore vista advice, some of my files are not working on Adobe Reader 7, which means I need to install / uninstall Adobe Reader 7 or 9 for each type of file.

• By bishoy - 4:17 PM on February 5, 2009

I can not change the voices of the readout loud. I have only one installed Anna, Using version 9 with Vista any solution

• By Andrew Kirkpatrick - 5:05 PM on February 5, 2009

Bishoy,
    Vista only gives you Anna, but if you bought additional voices you’d be able to use them in Reader.

• By phil lamebull - 3:56 PM on February 11, 2009

can someone please tell me how to accept the license agreement. There is no accept button on the page , the page is too bi, I cannot make the page shrink, and I must restart to go on. It is crazy and I can’t fugure it out. Help

• By Ashley - 10:20 AM on March 11, 2009

I downloaded 9.1 and when I tried to use it a license agreement appeared. It would not let me use 9.1 until I pushed the accept button but no such button appears. How do I fix the problem. I saw above that another person has the same problem but no response or advice was given.

• By ray - 2:58 AM on April 28, 2009

my adobe rader 9.0 dose not work it keep giving me an error msg. i want to uninstall the pc dose not let it gives me error #1606

• By john c.jackson - 5:35 PM on May 1, 2009

I’m experiencing the same problem of no accept button to push which has been going on for the past two months. Seems like you could have corrected this by now.

• By Bill Laffin - 2:24 PM on May 3, 2009

My new Dell laptop came preloaded with Adobe Reader 9. When I try to use it, I am presented with a license agreement to accept, but NO ACCEPT BUTTON. Others seem to have the same issue. HELP.
    Thanks.

• By Lisa - 9:41 PM on May 7, 2009

I have “Adobe 8.1 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.” Then I am led to an update is available-Download the latest version of Adobe Reader 9.1, which I try to download and then I get a message-error 1606 could not access local network %APPDATA%-can anyone direct me to solving this puzzle?

• By leslie - 4:06 AM on May 29, 2009

my adobe reader does not allow me to accept the agreement what isthe problem

• By jean vecchi - 1:03 PM on June 13, 2009

I CANNT GET THE ACCEPT BUTTON EITHER WHAT CAN I DO? HELP

• By Matt - 4:40 PM on June 17, 2009

I’m making some accessible PDFs for a government website, and one of the pdfs has several tables in it. The original documents are in InDesign. I have the structure set up, and tagged in InDesign, and it exports just fine. The screen reader has no problem reading it, however, it always reads the table across, row by row. Some of these tables are meant to be read down in columns. I can’t figure out how to make it read tables in a different order. Any help?

• By Andrew Kirkpatrick - 12:55 PM on June 19, 2009

Matt,
    Screen readers will read the table in the tagging order, and unless your table is rotate 90 degrees, that will mean left to right across the first row and then the second and so on. Screen reader users can read in the order that they want with table reading keys, so users can read down a column if that is what makes sense for the data, and they choose to do that. Your job is to provide the right structure, and it sounds like you’ve done that.

• By rae lindsay - 1:08 PM on July 8, 2009

can’t get “accept” button either – and want to use firefox, not explorer – help

• By Steve - 1:14 PM on July 11, 2009

Where’s the “accept button”??????

• By christian schultz - 12:24 PM on July 12, 2009

my mother installed adobe 9.1 and there is no agreement button for the liscensing… I have looked all over the document and have even edited the monitor to view all of the document.. a little help??

• By Valdez - 9:13 PM on July 16, 2009

Put the stupid Accept button ON TOP. No one gives a tinker’s hoot in the firt place what the agreement states. Be easy, be smart.

• By larry williams - 11:43 PM on July 17, 2009

I can not locate the accept button on the license aggrement. As a result my computer has been rendered inoperable

• By Arnasia H - 10:59 PM on August 17, 2009

Hi I have an acer computer and it is really small and everytime i try to dowmnload a document the adobe license agreement pops up and it says press the accept button but i go all the way down to the bottom and there is nothing to push i try to minimize it and everything and it wont even minimize. Could you please help

• By tony rogers - 4:47 PM on August 19, 2009

no accept button on agreement. How do I accept?

• By susan - 11:38 PM on August 30, 2009

please tell me where to go for the I accept button.

• By Al - 12:36 PM on August 31, 2009

Please help!
    I cannot find the “accept button” either. for reader 9.0 or 9.1
    Al

• By Deborah Armstrong - 12:06 PM on September 14, 2009

I was very impressed with the access guide for Adobe reader 9. I feel I finally have good access to most of the PDF files I encounter.
    I do have a big concern however. Adobe seems to completely ignore the problem with Digital Editions being inaccessible. I work for a college where more and more textbooks students can borrow or purchase are only available through that venue. And of course many libraries offer PDF files through Digital Editions.
    Previously, the workaround was to use Adobe Reader 7. I kept that running on my laptop but compared to Reader 9.1 with all updates applied, Reader 7 is a poor substitute. It’s always a bad idea to run out-of-date software, anyway, and users have to be savvy enough to ignore Adobe’s constant prompting to update.
    Even worse, most e-publishers and libraries now won’t accept connections from Reader 7. So Digital Editions is the only application that can download the book for a user who rents or purchases it.
    I have told everyone I know online and off to boycott Digital Editions and complain until this is fixed.
    Again I applaud all the work that’s gone in to making 9 so usable and also well-documented. Now it’s time to do the same for Digital Editions, please!

• By TG - 9:11 AM on September 15, 2009

Exact same as Lisa above:

• By Kevin - 2:08 PM on September 21, 2009

Perhaps it is at the bottom of the “EULA”… scroll to the bottom of the agreement, and see if it is there.

• By Brittney - 6:09 PM on September 21, 2009

When i down load Adobe 9.1, it only installs Anna, is there a way to get other voices for the adobe reader?

• By Kerlandy Rijo - 7:32 AM on September 28, 2009

I finally found a way to be able to accept the License Agreement, simply press Alt Ctrl left or right, this will turn your whole view sideways and you’ll be able to accept
    ps. notice that it says quit and save and the accept button could be too far away to see what is written in it

• By sorin - 10:20 AM on September 30, 2009

i cant install adobe reader .error 1606
    i have vista 32 bit

• By sorin - 10:22 AM on September 30, 2009

i cant install adobe reader .error 1606
    i have vista 32 bit

• By Zack Gardlund - 3:07 PM on October 14, 2009

I have downloaded adobe reader 9.2. Can NOT use it until click accept button. THERE IS NO ACCEPT BUTTON. Please contact me – I nee help. Thank you.

• By Julie Golden - 3:47 PM on October 16, 2009

I keep getting the error 1606 on Adobe. I am unable to uninstall adobe and reinstall it. Can someone help me please?

• By Chris - 2:08 PM on November 15, 2009

I have been SOOOO frustrated with my new gateway laptop,because like many others apparently, I cannot scroll far enough to click accept button. Adobe is doing NOTHING about it! I will try your solution of Alt,CTRL sideways! God I hope it works! Thanks-Chris

• By Jennifer - 9:41 PM on December 13, 2009

I can not get my adobe reader 9 to work. I kept getting a “1606 error; appdata” so I’m trying to uninstall it and it will not let me uninstall. The same error pops up. I Was going to uninstall and then reinstall. Please Help! Thanks.

• By w hawn - 9:13 PM on January 1, 2010

I cannot find “accept button” on 9.2. Please email when and if you find it
    Hawn

• By David Coutts - 1:55 PM on January 2, 2010

I, like many others, am getting: “Error 1606. Could not access network location %APPDATA%\.” Java says this is an InstallShield code, which indicates that an action failed during the installation process. Read it here: http://www.java.com/download/help/6000061100.xml
    I called Adobe customer support and they had no idea; that explains why no response here. I did read somewhere (sorry, not sure where) about having to do this multi-step change to the registry that the person said could make things worse if typing one character incorrectly, so I passed on that. I cannot run/install/delete Adobe Reader, Java Update, and now the Microsoft Zune program; I’m sure this will happen with anything else I try to install or update.

• By Yvonne Clark - 12:16 PM on January 9, 2010

I am being told that Adobe has stopped working. I am given an error message 1606. I cannot uninstall adobe acrobat or anything. Can you please tell me what I need to do?

• By Adalberto Reynaga - 4:11 PM on January 12, 2010

“error 1606. Could not access network location %APPDATA%\.” any one have a fix itn on a laptop with vista 64 ver.

• By venitia - 10:25 AM on January 19, 2010

I cannot uninstall Adobe 9.2 to install it again as I have been having servere difficulties with downloading files in .pdf format and it will not even print when I do get some success. Please someone help.

• By Judith Sipin - 11:07 AM on January 25, 2010

“error 1606. Could not access network location %APPDATA%\.” any one have a fix itn on a laptop with vista”

• By Lanette Sorenson - 10:50 PM on January 28, 2010

I’m having the same problem, and it’s been awhile since I’ve had it. I can’t even do Add & Remove Program, Adobe Reader 9.2 pops-up and says something like it don’t support that file. I can’t uninstall it either, I’ve tried everything I can think of. All the programs work like that, it won’t let me do anything or print. It doesn’t support that either. I don’t know what that means, and or why that would have anything to do about it. Please help us someone…….

• By kev - 11:24 PM on February 8, 2010

Solution for the clicking accept button on Adobe stupid agreement page: Change the screen resolution to 1,024×768.
    On Windows Vista:
    Right-click the desktop and choose Personalize.
    Choose Display Settings
    If the screen resolution is less than 1024 by 768 pixels, then drag the Screen Resolution slider to the right until the screen resolution is 1024 by 768 pixels.
    Click Apply, and then click OK.

• By terry - 3:16 AM on February 17, 2010

i am new to this adobe lingo, all i need is to install 1 of them because my pc locked down with a virus 10 minutes ago

• By Stacy Morris - 12:12 PM on February 25, 2010

I cannot get my Adobe Acrobat professional to work. When I try to print a document it give me this message “Adobe Acrobat 8.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience”. When I push don’t send report or send report it just shuts down.

• By Jo - 9:13 PM on February 25, 2010

Is anybody actually getting any answers to FIX this ERROR “error 1606. Could not access network location %APPDATA%\.”
    Cannot uninstall old Adobe to update new hence Error. YAY — NOT.

• By Anonymous - 9:40 PM on February 28, 2010

Windows Vista. The adobe reader 8.1 is not working. Code 1606 is displayed

• By Mac - 9:46 PM on February 28, 2010

Our computer has the same problem. Did you find a way to solve this? If so, please share.

• By Martha Fitchett - 1:56 PM on March 10, 2010

where the hell is the accept button

• By lamalwhi - 8:10 AM on March 11, 2010

i registered for adope reader 9 and i recieved an e mail from the management that am now a member .But since then i was unable to domnload my e book from my e mail.please i need an urgent help.

• By joe - 9:34 PM on March 11, 2010

i cannot download the adobe reader it is downloading and instals then error pops up every time and saying cannot find network location???

• By DONOVAN GILES - 4:56 PM on March 27, 2010

error 1606. could not access networklocation %APPDATA%\ what the he** . cant do anything and you have no fixes or know anything about it……comeon already there are atleast alot of messages for the samething and yet still nothing…………..GET TO WORK ON A SOLUTION ALREADY

• By Toby - 8:18 PM on March 29, 2010

For those of you who are getting the error “Could not access network location %APPDATA%\” There is a microsoft knowledge base article with an automatic fix that should help the problem:

• By stacey - 7:33 PM on April 28, 2010

“error 1606. Could not access network location %APPDATA%\.” a laptop with vista

• By C. Knighton - 5:49 PM on June 10, 2010

I do not know if this will be useful in your situation, but as you probably know %APPDATA% is a Windows environment setting, which can be accessed by using the SET command from a Command Prompt, (off the Accessories menu).
    In your case, perhaps, it should be equal to C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming, a ‘hidden’ directory in which application data such as settings and configuration information, etc. are stored on a per user basis, (in later versions of Windows).
    I noticed your comment while searching for a PDF reader for my ‘Zune HD’. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who who knows of a ‘Zune’ PDF reader app.
    Cordially,
    C. Knighton

• By Vasantha - 12:30 PM on July 8, 2010

I am getting error 1606 could not access network location %APPDATA% on Windows 7 Home premeum edition. Cannot install, uninstall, or read any pdf file.

• By Sunomi - 9:29 PM on August 3, 2010

I had Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard and Adobe Reader 9.3.2 running on my laptop. A week ago I uninstalled Adobe Reader successfully. Then I had a start-up problem, restarted my laptop in “safe mode”, and decided to start it with a configuration at a date prior to the date I had uninstalled Adobe Reader. This automatically re-installed Adobe Reader, but now I cannot uninstall it, and I cannot download any PDF file from the web. If I try to uninstall it the message I receive is: “This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to very that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package”. If I try to re-install Adobe Reader through downloading from the Adobe web page, the process stops, and I get the same message. Cannot uninstall, cannot reinstall, cannot download files.
    Any suggestion how to get out of this catch 22?

• By Marta - 4:28 PM on November 1, 2010

Please help, I cannot access my just freshly installed Adobe Reader 9.4 and once I try open it the only message I have over and over is: Adobe Reader 9.4 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.I tried already reinstall the program, remove Acrobat. How to solve it??? What is actually the problem??? Please somebody help.

• By Jean McKee - 2:31 AM on October 19, 2010

have successful install today of Adobe Reader 9.4 but accept box not accessible???

• By Amit - 5:16 PM on January 10, 2011

• By Evona - 3:53 PM on March 1, 2011

I have a new HP laptop, with Windows 7 and Adobe 9. The Anna voice is the only one it has. Where can I buy, and how can I install/use a different voice? I like to use the read-out-loud function, and would rather hear a man’s voice reading. Where can I buy, and how can I install/use a different voice?

• By Sam Austen - 7:53 AM on April 26, 2011

Every time I activate “read out loud” Adobe Reader chooses down with the measage
    …Adobe Reader 9.4 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I have text to speech on XP home edition on my net book and check it that it works.

Have used ‘read out loud’ on computers at Uni and found it a useful tool to absorb information.

But just can’t get to work at home.

Please help!

• By Pam Giarrizzo - 10:17 PM on June 25, 2011

I see about a million comments from people who can’t find the “Accept” button for the Adobe licensing agreement and not a single response for where it might be. I have an HP Netbook and need to be able to access pdf files. How can I do that if there is no “Accept” button on the licensing agreement?