by AWK

Comments (10)

Created

October 16, 2008

This post is subject to Adobe's Terms of Use.

Creative Suite 4 is shipping now, and here’s a short post on a few favorite accessibility features that you’ll want to check out:
#1: Flash video playback controls are accessible by default. If you want to offer controls that keyboard or screen reader users (and others) can interact with, you get this without trying when you export using the FLVPlayback skins in Flash CS4 Professional. More detail on accessible video.
#2: DAISY export in InDesign. We’ll be publishing more details about this soon.
#3: Integrated support for Color Universal Design (CUD) filters in Illustrator and Photoshop to help authors create accessible images.
#4: InContextEditing in Dreamweaver. Find out how to use InContextEditing to maintain an accessible site.
#5: New documentation for PDF accessibility in Acrobat. This is long overdue, but this is just a start – we will soon publish a series of video tutorials for accessible PDF also.
We hope you make good use of these features! Let us know about your experiences.

COMMENTS

• By Andrew Meit - 11:22 AM on October 17, 2008

Cool, thanks for the heads up on access stuff. But will your movies be more accessible than the ones on AdobeTV?? AdobeTV movies are too small and when viewed full screen are too blurry. I thought Flash movies were resolution independent?!

• By Deborah Edwards-Onoro - 12:16 PM on October 17, 2008

Andrew,
    Thanks for the update on the accessibility features for CS4. Great resources – I’m looking forward to the video tutorials.
    A couple questions for you:
    1. I’ve created captions using Captionate for Flash videos. Now that YouTube supports captioning, I want to add captions to the videos on YouTube. Captionate produces xml formatted files, while YouTube uses .srt formatted files. Any suggestions for a xml to srt converter? I found on application on Google Groups, but it threw a number of Java errors when I ran it.
    2. How is the InContextEditing in CS4 different from the functionality provided by CushyCMS(www.cushycms.com)? From what I’ve read, they look very similar.

• By Don Marang - 9:01 PM on October 18, 2008

I am ecstatic about the direction in Flash accessibility! My immediate thought, however, was how many years will it take for popular websites to update their site using the new tools and capabilities? To my surprise, the first website I tried, YouTube, was already using CS4 Flash playback features! I was thrilled! I really appreciate the fact Adobe decided to make accessibility the default and automatic! I guess that all I have to do as avisually impaired web surfer is to urge website developers to upgrade to Flash Professional CS4. Good business decision Adobe!

• By Andrey Petrov - 11:47 AM on November 3, 2008

> Integrated support for Color Universal Design (CUD) filters in Illustrator and Photoshop
    As the Fireworks user I would like to see this also implemented there…

• By Mike - 6:14 AM on December 14, 2008

The expanded Acrobat accessibilty documentation is great! – thanks

• By Daryl Crouse - 7:30 AM on December 31, 2008

I’m having the same situation as Andrew with Captionate and YouTube formatting requirements. Any one found a solution yet?

• By LN - 10:13 AM on August 15, 2009

This may be slightly off point, but I have been unable to find any posts here about Digital Editions and the lost functions “Autoscroll” and “Read Aloud” I used to use to read ebooks downloaded from the New York Public Library. The forced migration from older Adobe Reader versions that had these functions to Digital Editions, which lacks them, is a _major_ setback for accessibility. I’ve asked about it and gotten no response from Adobe. NYPL doesn’t seem to know what to do about it. I have seen other similar complaints by other users. Please take this up and correct the problem: accessibility shouldn’t be downgraded in a forced migration this way! Thanks.

• By Tommy O. Manning - 6:27 PM on October 20, 2009

my name is Tommy O Manning and i have suffered a traumatic brain injury from aautomobile accident in 1972 in august 22nd or 23rd i laid in a coma for 29 days with 2 or 3 brain surgerys in mary bridge childrens hospital in tacoma washington its been an uphill battle every swince

• By Douglas G Blane - 8:38 AM on October 21, 2009

Acrobat reader as a DAISY DTB player
    Do you have any plans to make Adobe Acrobat Reader into a full text to speech (TTS)Digital Accessible Information SYstem (DAISY) Digital Talking Book (DTB) player? If so when will this be available?

• By Douglas G Blane - 8:43 AM on October 21, 2009

I have imported and tagged the DAISY 3 DTD within InDesign CS4 in order to export the InDesign project as DAISY XML. However the export I got was far from desirable. I think it was because we were using a template created in InDesign CS3. Could you advise me on how I can achieve better DAISY XML output from InDesign CS4, preferably without redesigning our InDesign CS3 templates?