by AWK

Comments (8)

Created

April 5, 2010

This post is subject to Adobe's Terms of Use.

AFB Consulting and Adobe worked together to create a session that shares information about how users of assistive technologies can get the most out of PDF files that they interact with.
The session is targeted to users of assistive technologies, particularly screen reader users, and demonstrates techniques to use to access PDF using assistive technology. Topics to be covered include different types of PDFs, using Adobe Reader’s built-in accessibility features, and navigating PDF documents.
The webinar presentation document and demo files are available and will help users try techniques demonstrated by the presenters.
The recording of the session is available. The session is now also available as an mp3 file.

COMMENTS

• By rachael - 3:30 PM on April 13, 2010

the sound is horrible on the recording.

• By AWK - 3:31 PM on April 13, 2010

Rachel,
    Which one? The mp3 or the connect recording?
    AWK

• By Bill Joyce - 10:11 AM on May 5, 2010

Hi there,
    Just curious if you know if official “sufficient techniques” to test the accessibility of PDF documents will be added to the WCAG 2.0 documentation, and if so, when they will be published.
    Thanks for your help.
    Bill Joyce
    613 951-2683

• By AWK - 11:13 AM on May 5, 2010

Bill,
    We are working on draft versions of WCAG 2.0 techniques for PDF, I’m not sure of the timing for their ultimate release. There should be flash techniques in the next few months, and after that, the PDF ones.
    AWK

• By Bill - 8:39 AM on May 27, 2010

Thanks Andrew,
    In the meantime – could your recomend anything which could act as an objective “measuring stick” for how well a PDF document complies with the WCAG 2.0 standard?
    Our organization is in a position where we will need to objectly prove that our web content meets the WCAG 2.0 AA standards.
    -Bill

• By xhamster - 8:45 PM on July 8, 2010

By rachael Very nice thanks

• By sandy crotty - 5:37 AM on July 20, 2010

a hard time remebering have to print everything then do get it read or dont understand then buried in papers cant concentrate do you have anything to help me cant remember the shortcut keys or get them to work

• By patty porter - 3:31 AM on August 7, 2010

I’m using Acrobat Pro and the object touchup tool won’t let me add alternate text to a certain pdf. 1) The option in the tool is greyed out. How can I get the option turned on? That’s not the only problem. 2) I have adjusted the reading order but for some reason, the text isn’t always being read in the order I say and sometimes text is being skipped completely. I am wondering if there’s a way I can turn the whole page into a figure and put all the text in alternate text box so it reads everything and in order. 3) The pdf is a bit cryptic I think and I’m wondering what I can do to clean it up without having to redo the whole thing. I do have access to the native file in case that means anything though I’ve tried making the pdf several times with the same unhappy results. Thanks for your help, P.