Traditionally, at the end of a transaction such as a real estate closing, we would present our client with a binder stuffed full of all of the documents associated with the deal. These “old school” binders were time-consuming to create and costly to distribute.
Creating an electronic closing binder in PDF is a far “greener” alternative that saves time and enhances client satisfaction.
I recently delivered a 1-hour eSeminar on Closing Binders which was well-received.
Check it out! Watch the Recording—> Electronic Closing Binders eSeminar
In the one hour event,
I showed how to create two kinds of closing binders; 1) PDF Binders and, 2) PDF Portfolios
|I also created a 36-page guide Creating Electronic Closing Binders using Acrobat 9. This document should give you everything you need to create great closing binders.|
Read on for a TOC and download instructions.
Downloading the Document
Because of the file size (about 4.5 MB), I’ve placed the file on my Acrobat.com file share.
You are welcome to redistribute the document in its entirety, so go nuts! If you do, I ask that you provide the following attribution:
Creating PDF Electronic Closing Binders with Adobe Acrobat 9 is from the Acrobat for Legal Professionals (Acrolaw) Blog at http://www.adobe.com/go/acrolaw.
What does the document cover?
Here’s the TOC from the document:
- What is a Closing Binder?
- Binders or Portfolios: What’s the difference?
- What do I need to create Binders and Portfolios?
- Should I use a PDF Binder or a PDF Portfolio?
- Getting Ready
- Creating a PDF Binder
- Combining the Files
- Setting Default Open Properties
- Customizing Bookmarks
- Creating Links on the TOC Page
- Adding Non-PDF Attachments
- Adding an Attachments Bookmark Link (Optional)
- Add a Full Text Index (Optional)
- Add a Bookmark to open Full Search (Optional)
- Creating a PDF Portfolio Closing Binder
- Two Ways to Create Portfolios
- Create a PDF Closing Portfolio using the Assembly Method
- Create a new Portfolio
- Add Files to the Portfolio
- The Portfolio Window
- Enter Descriptive Text
- Selecting a Portfolio Layout
- About the Welcome Page
- Customizing the Welcome Page
- About the Header
- Customizing the Portfolio Header
- About Portfolio List View
- Customizing the List View
- Entering Field Text
- Create a PDF Portfolio using the Combine method
- Add a Full Text Index (Recommended)
- How will a Portfolio open in Adobe Reader 8?
- Replacing the Cover Sheet (Optional)
- Miscellaneous Portfolio Tips and Tricks