A few weeks ago, Adobe switched to a new blogging platform.
One result of the changes is that a few of my blog pages many now have some issues such as:
- Broken links to downloads
- Broken links to pages
For example, you might go to one of my blog pages to download a copy of a presentation or other material and, uh, not be able to.
That’s not good.
I am trying my best to fix any problems I find, but I could use your help! I went through about fifty blog pages so far to fix any problems.
If you experience any problems on the blog, please use the email link below and send me:
- Web Address of the page (the URL)
- What is missing