Automatically Add Exhibit Numbers with a Free Acrobat X Action

Adobe Acrobat X Pro allows you to save time and standardize processes by automating routine, multistep tasks in a guided Action.

Interestingly, Actions can also be used to create new capabilities that might not be in Acrobat itself. Since Actions can be expanded with JavaScript, entirely new functionality may be added.

Recently, I worked with a developer to create and document a series of nine FREE Actions that I think have great utility in the legal market. In this article,

In this article, I’ll discuss one of these Actions— Document Numbering.

Document Numbering Action

To support your case, you may be need to create exhibits. Complex cases may have a number of exhibits. It is important to have a precise way to refer to a given page in an exhibit. For that reason, the practice is to refer to exhibit pages by both document number and page number.

For example, Exhibit 5, Page 3.

Manually creating exhibit numbering is time consuming. The Acrobat X Document Numbering Action can automate the entire process allowing you stamp many documents in a few seconds.

What does the Document Numbering Action do?

Choose Documents
Stamp
Save Numbered Copies

Import the documents in the order you wish to stamp them.
Apply a stamp to the document containing the Exhibit Number. You can choose from a colored or transparent background
Choose to rename the result documents with a prefix or suffix.

How do I get the Document Numbering Action?

You can get the Document Numbering Action over on the Actions Exchange on AcrobatUsers.com,

Alternately, you can download it direct below.

The PDF document you download below includes:

1. Installation and use instructions
  2. Action (embedded in the PDF)

Enjoy!

Document_Numbering_Action.pdf (821K)

Hint:

Right-click and Choose Save Target As . . . to save to your desktop

13 Responses to Automatically Add Exhibit Numbers with a Free Acrobat X Action

1. Redwood says:

Awesome script. Only improvement would be to add ability to handle Exhibit “A”, “B”, etc.

2. Sharon says:

When I am redacting a PDF I have click on the Mark for Redaction than select the information (ie bank account number) than before I can select another area to select I have to click Mark for Redaction. This is very time consuming. How can I make it let me click Mark for Redaction and than go threw the entire document selecting what I need to redact than click Apply Redactions. I am spending to much time clicking Mark for Redaction than selecting area to be redacted than Mark for Redaction before I can select another one.

Please help this is to time consuming!!!!!!!

• Rick Borstein says:

The default with Acrobat is to Keep the Tool selected. Here’s what you can try:
      - Select the Mark for Redaction tool
      - Hit CTRL-E to show the Properties bar
      - Chekc “Keep Tool Selected”

3. Tim says:

Redwood is correct about the exhibit numbering limitation. Unfortunately, I just spent 45 minutes with a customer service representative who could barely speak English to confirm this.

4. Ben says:

Rick: Can you add exhibit stamps with adobe reader x?

5. The action appears to be broken for Acrobat X Pro Version 10.1.4 on Mac.

Rather than creating Exhibit numbers, the stamp says “Exhibit NaN.” After the first document, the Initial Value of the Exhibit is changed to “NaN” (referring to Document Number Option number 5 of on page 4 of the how to PDF). Does any have a solution?

6. Diana Solarski says:

I am having trouble using your Dynamic Exhibit Stamps from http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2009/05/add-dynamic-exhibit-stamps-in-acrobat-using-a-free-stamp-set/#comments to work with my Acrobat X. I get a static stamp with no interaction at all when I place it in my 10.0 stamps folder. Can you tell me how to make this work? I had hoped to use it for exhibits we plan to use in a trial coming up very quickly, but I think I’m going to have to do it manually or use this, which doesn’t have the cool box outline we like. Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

• Rick Borstein says:

Carefully follow the installation instructions or the stamp won’t work dynamically. Also, make sure the Javascript is enabled in Preferences.

7. Jim G says:

I just purchased Acrobat XI Pro. When I import “Document Numbering.sequ” I get a warning that the file was prepared using a version older than Acrobat XI Pro and any additional functionality of Action Wizard for Acrobat XI Pro will no longer be available. I do not know if functionality is lost for only documents using “Document Numbering.sequ” or if Acrobat XI Pro is effectively downgraded to Acrobat X for all documents. Is there a “Document Numbering.sequ” version prepared using Acrobat XI? Or, is this just something not to worry about.

• Rick Borstein says:

I haven’t updated these yet for Acrobat XI, but I am working on it. I will post the to the blog when they are ready.