Where is the Typewriter Tool in Acrobat X?

How do I find the Typewriter tool in Acrobat X?
With the changes to the user interface in Acrobat X, a few folks haven’t been able to find the Typewriter tool.

Don’t feel bad, you’re not the only one!

Adobe renamed the tool to make it easier for new users to find.

That probably won’t make you feel betterĀ . . .

The Typewriter tool is now called Add or Edit Text Box.

To get to it, open the Tools panel, then twirl down the Content section.

Acrobat X Quick Tools Bar

One nice new feature of Acrobat X is the new Quick Tools bar.

This toolbar at the top of the application window offers fast access to frequently used tools.

If you use the Typewriter tool regularly, you might try adding it to the Quick Tools bar:

1. Right-click on the Add or Edit Text Box tool
  2. Choose Add to Quick Tools bar

Now, it’s easy to access the Typewriter tool whenever you need it:

Using the QuickTools bar in Acrobat X

Changing the Font and Style

After you click the Typewriter tool, a toolbar will open which will allow you to change various characteristics of your text:

137 Responses to Where is the Typewriter Tool in Acrobat X?

1. Chris says:

I have a Mac and i am unable to find this tool anywhere
    any help would be great

2. Tom Henley says:

Where did the Acrobat Marque Zoom function go in Acrobat X?

• Rick Borstein says:

See my article on turning the page navigation tools on. Just right-click on the toolbar to turn on the tools you want.

3. Kathy White says:

Really stupid rename it so I can’t find it. I will not upgrade any of my other PC’s.
    —– Rick’s Reply —
    I’m not a fan of the rename either, but our user research said that most people did not understand what the Typewriter tool did when mentioned by name. Just drag it to your QuickTools bar. It looks like a typewriter!

4. luzmaritza says:

I cant change the font on the 7.0 prof. I have to save it and then open the doc with Reader. I can only change the font in Reader.
    —- Rick’s Reply—-
    You cannot change the fonts for the Typewriter in version 7. You need Acrobat 9 or later.

5. snobunny says:

I have Adobe Reader X, and I don’t have TOOLS. I have Share and Comment, but no Tools. Where do I find the typewriter?
    ——————– Rick’s Reply —————————–
    Adobe Reader users won’t have the Typewriter tool unless the file they receive has been Reader-enabled by Acrobat Pro.

6. Arthur A. says:

typewriter, or whatever you called it, is the greatest tool in Acrobat so far.
    As far as the name goes, you can call it whatever you feel is the right thing to do. Keep it up.

• Robert says:

I agree, I’m using Acrobat X and it threw me off for a minute but as long as able to find the tool to use. it’s ok.

7. Marie says:

Finding the tool wasn’t hard but what happened to the ability to change text size and color? Where are those options at?
    —- Rick’s Reply —-
    Use the Properties Bar (CTRL-E)

8. ljones says:

Is the renamed typewriter tool available in Acrobat X standard as well as pro?
    —– Rick’s Reply —-

9. I am new to Acrobat X. My document is in PDF and is about to be sent to CM/ECF; but I discovered a word that should be deleted. How do I send the document back to Microsoft Word X and edited it and send it back in line to be filed with the Federal District Court?
    ———— Rick’s Reply ——-
    I generally recommend that you go back to the source application (e.g. Word) to make the change, then re-PDF. If that isn’t possible, you can make single word edits using the Edit Document Text tool in Acrobat X (Content panel). For large scale edits, File>Save As> Word

10. Kelly Dukes says:

All I want to do is fill out a form sent to me in pdf form. I have Adobe Reader X, but it WILL NOT allow me to fill the form out and the form’s security says it can be filled out, just not saved.

• Rick Borstein says:

That’s right. Adobe Reader can fill in and print a form, but you cannot save the results. You’ll need Acrobat Standard for that. Or, if you know the form author, ask them to Reader-enable the file and send it to you. Reader is essentially just a form viewer, not an editor.

11. Ramona says:

Before I go buy standard – So does the add or edit text box tool mean that I have to create a text box every time I want to type somewhere instead of just being able to click and type? I know 7 had both add text box or typewriter. can someone answer please.
    ——- Rick’s Reply —
    With the Typewriter tool, you just click and type.

12. Com9600 says:

I tried the Add or Edit Text Box on a Real Estate Contract and it would not type in the doc except the space key would jump several rows down the doc. Is the tool bad or is the doc bad?

• Rick Borstein says:

Hard to say what happened without looking at the file. Make sure you are choosing the tool that looks like a Typewriter, not the edit content tool

13. Steve Hughes says:

I am find Adobe PDF’s an increasingly difficult format to use. Does Adobe inform the writers of files to unlock or enable fields to fill in, I hate getting PDF’s! Why can’t Adobe make the reader know that forms need to be filled in, what is the point of making a form not fillable by default.
    ———- Rick’s Reply —————-
    There are two issues. First, not all forms on the web contain fillable fields. Secondly, if there are fillable fields, the form needs to be enabled by a user of full Acrobat so that a Reader user can save the data in the form. Keep in mind that that are hundreds of tools that create PDF on the market, so it is beyond Adobe’s purview to fix this problem. If you find a form that doesn’t meet your needs, let the form author know.

14. Joan says:

I’ve found your blog and am adding it as a favorite! –

I am having a problem with my digital signature – I’m the absent minded professor and cannot remember the password. I’ve just upgraded to Acrobat X Pro..but it must have carried over from my last version.

I tried creating a new signature but without success. How can I eliminate the first signature so I can start over.

Thanks so much!

• Rick Borstein says:

Oh no! Signatures are encypted, so if you have forgotten your password that is not good! You need to be very careful when using digital signatures to always backup your security settings. Acrobat 9 and X offer this capability, then you can reimport the settings.

15. Karen Dodson says:

I downloaded your Adobe Reader X and I looked where your above illustration indicates the Typewriter tool should be. It is not appearing there. I am very disappointed. I am very used to change but I am finding your “improvement”over relocating the tool bars frustrating. Can you re-direct me so I can locate them?

• Rick Borstein says:

Reader does not contain the Typewriter tool, only Acrobat does. An Acrobat Pro user can Reader-enable the Typewriter tool on a file by file basis, however, so if you have a colleague that has Acrobat Pro, they can do that for you.

16. Saksit Kong says:

I have Acrobat X. Found the tool above BUT the “Add to Quick Tools” is disabled (grey out). Any idea why? Or better yet any idea how to fix?

17. Adri says:

Thank you! We recently upgraded to Adobe X and I couldn’t find Typewriter. This has been most helpful as I use the Typewriter tool nearly every day. The rename is illogical but that has nothing to do with Adobe – more to do with people that couldn’t figure out what to do with “Typewriter”.

18. Suzanne Allen says:

I just purchased Adobe X Standard. I converted a Word document to a pdf, added several text and check boxes and saved it as a reader enhanced pdf so that users could save their changes. Now I need to make a few minor text edits. My typewriter tool is grayed out, not usable. The Edit Document Text tool doesn’t allow me to type in changes. I don’t want to go back to my source document, make these small changes, then have to recreadte all of the text and check boxes I added to the pdf. I’m going out of my mind. Do you know anything I can do?

• Rick Borstein says:

When you Reader-enable a PDF it digitally signs it preventing any changes from — in your case with Acrobat Standard– adding any features other than filling in forms. Choose File>Save a Copy. Then close the R.E. file and open the copy which is not R.E. to make changes.

19. Adam says:

My toolbar doesn’t even show those options and I specifically downloaded Adobe X just for the typewriter option. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Rick Borstein says:

You should follow the instructions exactly. The tool is called the “Add or Edit Text Box” tool and it is in the Content section.

20. Bill says:

I have version X but it looks nothing like the instructions explained at the top. Still cannot find the typewriter tool. Any suggestions?

21. mike hutchinson says:

Just because Microsoft changes their interface doesn’t mean everyone should. It doesn’t mean it’s better either.

• Rick Borstein says:

Adobe didn’t mimic the Microsoft interface. The response by the hundreds of customers I have personally presented to has been overwhelmingly positive. To each his own, however.

22. B Pickman says:

My ‘Typewriter’ Tool provides an endless selection of font types, but only to 24 point. I’m working in ANSI E plots and need to add BIG text. Suggestions? Thanks. bap :-)

• Rick Borstein says:

The Typewriter tool is limited to 24 pts. Instead, try the Text Box tool which allows text sizes to 72 points. After creating the text box, select the text inside, then hit CTRL-E to bring up the Properties palette which allows you to set font size, color, etc. If you always want large type, set the text box the way you want, then right-click on the text box and choose Make Current Properties Default.

23. SJ says:

Thank You! I’ve been looking everywhere for this icon that I depend on!

24. Lorna says:

I used to be able to save the forms so users could save the filled in form. I am not able to find that any longer. Can anyone tell me where to find that tool?
    Thanks

• Rick Borstein says:

In Acrobat X, you would choose File>Save As>Reader Extended PDF and then choose the appropriate option.

25. Tracy says:

I see the comments here and I’m confused on the typewriter tool. I downloaded Acrobat X (typewriter tool is not there) Am I to understand in order to get the typewriter tool I need to pay for Acrobat Pro? I’m SO jobless and BROKE and need to fill out an applications. Thanks for any support you can help me with.

• Rick Borstein says:

You downloaded Adobe Reader, our free tool. Reader does not have the ability to edit PDF documents. If you have a friend with Acrobat Pro, they can Reader-enable the file so that you could use the Typewriter tool.

26. Paul says:

Not sure if this is where I need to be, having read all of the questions, etc. above though here goes.
    I’m attempting to fill in a pdf form with my computer as acessability to a printer, etc. is miles away.
    Clicking on “tools” in Acrobat Reader X only brings up “create pdf files” and “send”. There is no “typewriter” option nor the long list demonstrated elsewhere.
    The document is only recognized as a picture.
    Help!!!!

• Rick Borstein says:

Reader does not allow you to create or modify a PDF on its own. You will need a full copy of Acrobat to create form elements or use the typewriter feature. If you have a friend or colleague with Acrobat Pro, then can Reader-enable the document which would make available the Typewriter, Commenting and Form Save features.

27. Sidranski says:

I go to tools and all I have is a drop down to “Create PDF Files”, and “Send Files”. I use the typewriter to fill in forms that I do NOT need saved, just printed. The instructions above are useless/do not show what is on my screen. I’m going back to version 9 as it was WAY more user freindly. Typewriter is the only feature I really use. By the way, I can not even follow these instructions “In Acrobat X, you would choose File>Save As>Reader Extended PDF and then choose the appropriate option”

28. dlr says:

I see the comment that if the “Add to Quick Tools” grayed out when trying to add the typewriter, it means the typewriter is already in the toolbar, but I don’t see it. Is there something I need to do to make it visible in the tool bar? Thanks.

29. D says:

Do you have to be in Parallels or BootCamp to use the “Add or Edit Text” (Typewriter) while on a Mac?

• Rick Borstein says:

The “Add or Edit Text Box Tool” formerly the Typewriter tool, is available on the Mac, yep!

30. D says:

Note: I am presently using the 30 day free trial version. Not sure if that matters . Ideally I would do 100% of the work on the Mac side and not use Parallels or BootCamp as I have not been a big fan.

31. She says:

I created a signature in Adobe 9 now we have switched to Adobe Acrobat X and I am trying to create a new signature. Acrobat will not let me create the signature, it asks for my password even after I have completed the wizard of creating the signature and I’m at the step where I am creating my password. Only one password field is available, the confirm password is not visible. When I enter the new password I get a message that it is not the correct password. Others in my office that did not have a previous signature are able to complete this step and move on. Where is the old signature or signature file stored so that I can delete the old signature and create a new one?

• Rick Borstein says:

If you are talking about a digital signature, I hope that you backed up your credentials from your previous installation. When you create a self-sign signature, it creates a unique set of ecryption keys which cannot be replicated. You need to import them into your new version of Acrobat.

32. Piper says:

I type something and it is black but then when I click away the font becomes lighter grey. regardless of the color I use it becomes lighter. Can you help me?

• Rick Borstein says:

I’ve seen this issue in older versions of Acrobat, but not X. What version are you using?

33. Joe says:

Hi, I’ve just upgraded to Acrobat X from 8 and I’m having some problems with fonts when using forms. I created forms in 8 that use our house font (courier sans – not a system font), but when I’m trying to edit the forms now, or create a new one, it won’t let me use courier sans anymore and I’ve had to use courier, which just won’t do! Is there anything in preferences etc that I can change to allow for imported fonts or is it a new feature in acrobat not to allow for them? We mainly use the forms in our own office so there’s no issue of other people not having the font on their system and not being able to see it. Thanks

• Rick Borstein says:

In order to use fonts in forms, the fonts need to be embedded in the form and present on the operating system.

34. CA says:

I have Acrobat Pro version 10. Where can I change the font/font size on the typewriter tool? I right click, a small properties box comes up, but everything is grayed out.

• Rick Borstein says:

The Typewriter toolbar should open when you click on the tool. Make sure that you are not trying to type onto a encrypted PDF.

35. Mark Myers says:

• Rick Borstein says:

Changes were made to make it more usable for the average Acrobat user based on our Product Improvement Program, a database of millions of users who anonymously share product usage statistics. Yes, things have changed, but I don’t feel it takes long to adjust. I don’t know why they renamed the Typewriter, though . . . that never made sense to me since the icon is the same. Ah well.

36. Mark Myers says:

I am having a hard time with this and other capabilities that I used on a regular basis in version 9 (or whatever older version I was using). Seems pretty simple but I can’t even type an overlay into an (unencrypted) PDF. Sad that so many things were changed and moved just for the sake of changing. I’m going to have to invest more time now trying to figure out why this just doesn’t work. The cursor changes to an i-beam but I cant type or draw a box to type into. And now the final insult: I get a message saying (I) “have already said that.”

37. Stephanie says:

I use to be able to put the whole typewriter tool bar in my embedded tool bar so that its not a separate one. Am I still able to do this w/this version?

• Rick Borstein says:

Not possible anymore, sorry. Hopefully we will find a solution for this in the future.

38. TrishNHouston says:

If it isn’t broke… This new program is incredibly un-user friendly. Adobe should enlist the assistance of a focus group before release.

39. Susan Hobbs says:

I’m looking for the Tools menu so that I can activate Stamps. I’ve looked all over every menu in Acrobat Reader X and I can’t find anything that will enable me to click which tools I want to use. Help!?!?

• Rick Borstein says:

I assume you mean Reader X. Use the Tools panel. Note that Reader doesn’t have Stamps, though. You’ll need Acrobat to add a Stamp to the document.

40. Pam Hillman says:

The instructions for adding the Typewriter tool to the Quick Tools bar is incorrect. You DO NOT right click on Edit Document Text tool and choose add to Quick Tools bar. You right click on Add or Edit Text Box and choose add to Quick Tools bar.

41. JP Campbell says:

There are no words to adequately express my annoyance at the loss of the simple typewriter tool in this edition. When I open Acrobat (and I’ve had the pro version for years), I want to click on the typewriter, place my cursor and go. I don’t want to have to dig through menus and try to remember which disapppearing toobar should contain the right thing. I hate this. And the Acrobat interface in this edition looks fuzzy and clunky onscreen. I consider this a downgrade.

• Rick Borstein says:

Just add the Typewriter tool to the toolbar! Right-click on it and choose “Add to QuickTools”.

42. B Inguanti says:

I previously had the Typewriter icon on my toolbar and now it has disappeared. I have been using the typewriter for months and now I no longer have access to it. I have checked the ‘tools’ menu again and all I have there now is Create PDF, Export PDF and Send files. I know for a fact that my typewriter was there 3 days ago as that is the last time I used it.
    Please help if you can.

• Rick Borstein says:

Are you using Adobe Reader? Reader doesn’t have a Typewriter tool. Make sure you open Acrobat not Reader.

43. Themis says:

Why is Adobe Acrobat so user unfriendly? Little of it makes any sense. It feels like the inside joke of an engineer who lacks common sense.

• Rick Borstein says:

Can you elaborate? Tools are ordered logically, grouped by what you do to a document. For example, anything you might do to a Page in Acrobat, is in the Pages panel and so forth. I do agree that renaming the Typewriter tool was kind of dumb, though!

44. Dustin Johnson says:

I’ve followed the instructions above and they did not seem to work. I’m using 10.1.3 on Mac OS X 10.7.3.

I put the typewriter (aka Add or Edit Text Box from the Content section) in the quick tools toolbar. I clicked on the typewriter and typed in my text. It came out really large and in Courier. I could not find any way to re-size the text or change the font. I tried ‘right’ clicking on the text box and it only showed “delete”, “Set Status”, “Show comments List”, “Open All Pop-ups”, “minimize pop-ups”.

My work around is to open the document in preview and add the text there. Not ideal.

• Rick Borstein says:

You should see the a toolbar which allows you to change font characteristics such as size, font and style. I’ve updated the post to include a picture of the toolbar. You might need to reinstall the software.

45. Brian Stone says:

Rick Borstein’s comment about the typewriter tool was very helpful.

46. Ted says:

That would be nice if I had a CONTENT tab. Non existent.

• Rick Borstein says:

In Acrobat X, the Content panel should be right under the Tools panel. If it is not showing, click the Flyout menu at the upper right of the panel to turn the Content panel back on.

47. Eldon says:

I have a big pdf file (1,000 pages) and it uses Arial bold as the font for certain items. Suddenly I am unable to find Arial bond in the Typewirter list of fonts in Acrobat X pro. It only lists Arial Black, which is different (i.e., too heavy). How can I get back Arial Bold in Typewriter?

48. Beth says:

I have Mac OS 10.5.8 and I can open my PDF in Acrobat but it opens as a webpage and I can’t do anything with it. I can’t find Acrobat on my computer – I had version 2.0.0. but it wouldn’t’ download the latest update so I deleted it. How do I fill in PDF’s if I can’t do anything with the Acrobat as a web page??

49. Matt says:

I found the typewriter tool but in the older version it would allow you to type over a secured document. Has this function been lost in X?

• Rick Borstein says:

There have been no changes in this regard. However, you can use the Typewriter tool on a secured document if the document author specifically allows for it. I have tested this in Acrobat X.

50. You have wrecked a wonderful program. Your research was done by idiots (probably the same idiots that convinced Microsoft to change their standard user interface). There is no comments menu item to “twirl down”. I will try to go back to a previous version of Adobe Reader.

• Rick Borstein says:

There is no Typewriter tool in Adobe Reader, so that is probably why you are frustrated. Acrobat X is not the same as Reader.

51. Mike Slocum says:

I am using Acrobat X standard. I am attempying to transfer MS Word Docs into PDF format, mostly by Cut/Past because of formatting differences. But the biggest problem I am experiencing is the inability to copy a MS Word Doc containg “special chacters or synbols, such as Degree. Equal to or less than, etc. I cannot find the capability of the typewriter tool to ceated these symbols. Am I missing something?

• Rick Borstein says:

That isn’t a good workflow. Simply open the files in Word and print to the AdobePDF print driver.

52. Lorna Wingrove says:

Regarding the typewriter tool font, I can change it along with the size but it always reverts to Courier. How can I change it permanently?

• Rick Borstein says:

In my testing with Acrobat X, I was able to change the font and quit Acrobat, and have my font choice retained.

53. David Ferguson says:

I am trying to edit text that was previously entered via the Typewriter tool. Sometimes I am allowed to edit the text by double-clicking on the text box. Most of the time double-clicking just highlights the rectangle around the text. Right-clicking doesn’t help.

I tried to precisely click inside the rectangle, etc. It seems random and infrequent. Really easier to delete the text and start over if I have an edit. Is there a menu selection or hot key to allow me to edit previously entered typewriter text? And if not, why not?

• Rick Borstein says:

Using the Typewriter (Edit Text) tool can be a little fiddly. Try clicking on the Typewriter tool icon in the Typewriter toolbar, then on your text.

54. Tara says:

I notice a lot of negative comments about the typewriter and I have to agree, finding it and entering data was not a problem but going back and corrected a mistake is impossible this is a one shot deal when it comes to entering data with the typewriter tool so you better make sure you get it right the first time and no one asks you to change anything.

55. Don Pham says:

This tip very helpful. Thanks.

56. Michaela Slattery says:

I can’t for the life of me find the paragraph format tool box??? I’ve looked everywhere.
    I’m adding tex to an exisiting document-
    this is crazy!!!
    Thanks!

57. Pingback: Using The Typewriter Tool In Acrobat X | Bruceb News

58. Wil Kelsey says:

unfortunately, I have Adobe Acrobat X and when I access the typewriter tool, i do not get any box which allows me to change font type or size. How do I get that option?

59. Mat says:

Is there anyway to LOCK the texts you type using Typewriter tool so no one can edit it?
    Please advise. Thanks.

60. Joel Nossoff says:

I wish I had a nickle for every time someone I know WITH Adobe Acrobat (in addition to “Reader”) insists they cannot find a command or tool. This is very evident in the inquiries and comments in your blog. I stopped telling them to make Adobe Acrobat the “default” and instead instrucct them to DELETE/UNINSTALL “Reader”, so that ONLY Adobe Acrobat remains. I realize there is a means to CHANGE the default without uninstalling Reader, but my method is foolproof (except when you want to test a PDF in Reader). I suggest that Adobe add a step to installing Adobe Acrobat that makes Adobe Acrobat the default when there is already an installation of Reader.

• Rick Borstein says:

Well said. We generally do not recommend that customer have both Acrobat and Reader on the same machine. Prior to Acrobat X, it wasn’t even supported. However, we have many customers that run older Acrobat and newer Reader in enterprise environments, or who need to stick with certain versions of Acrobat for regulatory workflows.

61. Joel Nossoff says:

RE: Typewriter Tool problem. I independently figured out that in Adobe Acrobat X Pro the typewriter tool is now “Content/Add or Edit Text Box” (but am still confused about the difference between that and “Comment/Drawing Markups/add text box”). But, I thought I had gained control over the (former) typewriter tool. “Text Box Tool Properties” has NO application to the “text box” created by the (former) typewriter tool.
    In two recent documents, I easily added text using the newly named tool. But, clicking outside the box made the text dissappear. Re-clicking that location highlights the text box, and double clicking inside the box reveals the text, but clicking outside the box makes it dissappear again. I tried the same operation on the same PDFs at work, where I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0, and had no such problem.
    In one instance the PDF was a downloaded PDF from a web site,so it MAY have been protected in some way. But in the second instance the PDF was one I created/printed from “print this for your records” at a web site.
    Suggestions??

• Rick Borstein says:

The Typewriter Tool and the Text Box Tool are different annotation types and handled differently. You cannot edit a PDF which is protected. If it is printable, you may be able to rescan the document to PDF.

62. Susan Wygmans says:

No change. When I try to use the Text Box Tool, the font color is red and the option to change the color is grayed out. When I use the typewriter tool, same results as above, Text disappears upon clicking out of the box. I guess I have to switch back to my previous acrobat… what a pain.

• Rick Borstein says:

Make sure you select the text in the Text Box, then open Properties (CMD-E). If that doesn’t work, I would recommend you re-install the software.

63. I have Adobe X and I can select text within text boxes inserted using the Add text box or Add text callout and then use Cntrl-E the text properties box appears, however, when I do the same using the Add or Edit Text Box tool (selecting the text within the text box and using Cntrl-E) I get a properties box with only the Author in it — no text properties.

• Rick Borstein says:

You have to select the text (changing focus) inside the Text Box for text properties to appear.

64. Jon says:

How does one get the text in a typewriter text box to align in the center from top to bottom? We have several pdfs with this already done, but I’m not sure how it was accomplished. When I enter text in a text box, it always aligns across the top of the text box. If I edit previously centered text in an existing text box, it realigns across the top. Thanks for your help.

• Rick Borstein says:

The Text Box tool does not have an option for vertical alignment. Perhaps some entered returns?

65. Mary says:

I just downloaded the free trial version of Adobe Acrobat XI Pro. I’m trying to edit an insurance policy, and have been able to do everything but add text. I can’t find the typewriter anywhere. I do not have the “add or edit text” box.

66. tommy says:

Used the typewrite to add some comments to a pdf. They will not print to hardcopy, pdf, etc. In the print preview, the comments are not there. Is there a setting or something amiss?

67. Jeremiah says:

Just was forced to go from 9 to X on my new laptop

found the typerwriter tool, no problems using it

but how the heck do I get the font/color/etc. box that pops up to stay in my tool bar vs. being a “floating” box? Especially troublesome when I drag a pdf from one screen to another and the “floating” box doesn’t follow!! In 9 I just dragged it onto the toolbar up top and it clicked into place?

• Rick Borstein says:

The Properties Bar is not dockable in AX, sorry! I know, I know . . . I am pounding on our engineers about this feature.

68. Dcalg says:

I am running Acrobat Pro v. 10.1.6
    I can add text boxes and format them. i can add text BUT can NOT chnge font or size — the Typwriter tool bar is greyed out.
    Thanks

• Rick Borstein says:

If you are using the Text Box annotation tool, you will need to bring up the Properties bar to make changes. Hit CTRL-E.

69. Stef says:

Hi Rick,
    I have Adobe Acrobat X and am wondering if there is anyway to get the typewriter toolbar that pops out when I click on the icon to actually be in the toolbars and stay open like it use to in the older Adobes? It’s extremely annoying to have it floating over my document all of the time. And is there any way to rearrange the items in the toolbars like you use to be able to? Thanks!

70. Lisa says:

For Adobe Reader users, if you click on the SIGN tab and select Add Text, you can type on the document, change the font and size. Be sure to click on the document to change the font/size.

71. D. Quintal says:

I’m not getting options to Bold or Center Text in the Typewritter tool – and doing CTRL +E only yields a property box with my username initials. I have another PDF where the text box shows up instead of the typrwritter tool, and that has Bold and Text Justification options. Is there a difference in how these work?

• Rick Borstein says:

It sounds like you are not actually editing an annotation or that your Acrobat installation is corrupt.

72. jerry dubois says:

In the old adobe the typerwrite tool and the text box were different and i used them differently, getting rid of the typerwriter tool sucks!

• Rick Borstein says:

The Typewriter tool is not gone . . . please read the post. It has been renamed and moved, that’s all.

73. Kevin says:

I have Adobe Pro X and the typewriter tool no longer types in black. If there is anyone that knows how to fix this issue please let me know. Thanks

• Rick Borstein says:

Create a new Typewriter annotation. Use the Properties Bar (CTRL-E) to set the desired properties. Right-click on the typewriter annotation and choose to make the current properties the default.