Adobe Reader for iPad and iPhone is Available

Legal professionals are increasingly using mobile devices to access documents. Of course, usage of PDF in the legal industry is widespread.

I’m happy to report that Adobe Reader for iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) is now available. It’s free.

There are quite a few PDF-related products in the app store, but it appears that a lot of folks were looking forward to the "real" PDF Reader.

Adobe Reader for iOS let’s you:

• View and magnify PDFs on your iPhone or iPad
  • Search for text
  • Navigate Bookmarks in the PDF
  • Scrolling Control
    • Continuous vertical
    • Swipe left and right
  • Supports password protected documents
  • Supports rights-managed documents (Adobe LiveCycle)
  • Email and Print documents

Adobe Reader for iPad includes a graphical Getting Started document, but the app is so easy to use I doubt you’ll need it.

I’ve included a screen shot below which shows the bookmark view.

57 Responses to Adobe Reader for iPad and iPhone is Available

1. Angelo says:

That is welcome… I would suggest the ability to remember the last page read on each document.
    Without that, I find it hard to use it with multiple docs.

2. Alyx Perry says:

I would recommend reflow for when zoom is applied to the document. Hard to navigate pdf when zoom feature is on. Thank-you.

• Rick Borstein says:

Unfortunately, very few PDFs actually have the reflow tags turned on.

• kent dayton says:

Are you suggesting that since “Unfortunately, very few PDFs actually have the reflow tags turned on,” it’s not necessary to add reflow to Reader on the iPad? Regardless of how many documents have reflow tags turned on, the feature should be a must for smaller screens. I create my own documents to view in Reader on my iPad, so I can control tagging. As it is now, I have to spend extra time formatting the document with a custom page size and sized fonts, so they read comfortably on the iPad. Reflow would make it so much easier.

3. Eran Hami says:

A feature that is still missing, is filling in forms and signing them. Does anyone know if this is planned in the near future?

4. Martin says:

Merci Bien

5. Ew says:

What about being able to rotate a document, very frustrating

6. Jessica Izutsu says:

Does this reader allow you to view annotated pdfs?

7. Teen says:

Can i record my voice to pdf file like Acrobat Pro on Windows ?

8. O.T says:

The pdf that I’m viewing does not have the bookmark option available. I understand that the pdf might not have existing chapter bookmarks, but don’t tell me it’s impossible to do bookmark system just based on user defined page numbers. Your software doesn’t seem to have it.

I also don’t see an option for rotating pdf’s, which is fun if I happen to be viewing a file which has a native sideways orientation.

I also can’t zoom and lock the image.

How the F is it so hard to do a document viewer? I’ve tested 5 different ones and they are all missing something. The one that had mostly everything I need actually lagged on the page peripherals, unbelievable. How hard can it be to do one properly?

• Rick Borstein says:

I love your comment! Thanks for sharing. Adobe Reader isn’t a PDF editor and adding bookmarks changes the file, so that is not supported. I will share your comments with our engineering team.

9. Andy Byron says:

Why does the Adobe LiveCycle token for the measuring tool not work on the iPad version or reader?

We publish online plans and drawings to scale and being able to measure online would be a great development!

10. suly says:

does any1 know if the editeble pdf form can be emailed after being edited ?
    so the person i send it to can see what i edited ?

11. Jennie Mitchell says:

We need to fill forms, but we password protect them (encrypt) in Acrobat. Is there any way to fill these protected forms?

• Rick Borstein says:

I tested this. Reader Mobile does not currently allow you to fill in forms which are encrypted.

12. Jamie says:

I’m using adobe for my ipad and the PDFs will not open. I keep getting the please wait message, but then the document never loads. It worked fine in the past, but now it will not load. Ive updated adobe reader, updated my iPad, turned it on and off, redownloaded the app, still will not load.
    Similarly nothing will load in the iBooks app or any other PDF viewer apps

13. Lydia says:

Good points… I love being able to add comments, underline relevant bits, etc. etc.
    But I’m a bit upset that the notes I make do not print when printing directly form the Adobe app on the Ipad. How does one fix this?

• Rick Borstein says:

Yes, I verified this. I’d never printed from my iPad before, but I found a hack that let me do so. I will look into this.

14. Mohsin Husain says:

How do I save the pdf files that i receive in e mail as attachment.? Every time i have to open the e mail and download the pdf file. kindly help me out.

• Rick Borstein says:

From Apple Mail, hold you finger down on the attachment to select it, then choose Open In . . . from the menu which will pop up. Then, choose Adobe Reader.

15. Pierre Mathonet says:

Hello, is it possible to use the “single page view” or “automatic view”, but without the “swipe effect” (so the page would be replaced by the next one without sliding on the left or on the right)? This would help me to use presentations that are created with latex beamer.

Pierre

16. Gareth Wood says:

I agree with a comment above that the product for iOS should have the ability to add bookmarks. This is the one feature that would add ease to the viewing of large documents.

• Rick Borstein says:

That currently isn’t supported in Reader on the desktop, either, but I understand the request.

17. Steve says:

can you create and fill forms in the reader for ipad?

18. Feature request says:

This is a great app: adnotate, select text etc. and free. Perfect. But you, Rick I mean, don’t understand the bookmark request mentioned above. In iBooks you can add so-called bookmarks, but they don’t chnage the file!
    They are stored in the app not the file. It’s not an editing feature just a way to know where you left off. Give it a try, see for yourself.

• Rick Borstein says:

If you haven’t used this feature in iBooks, the app creates creates a new window of thumbnails. I don’t find it particularly useful myself.

19. Feature request says:

One more thing: bookmarks or no bookmarks, at least a back button would be great (as in back to previous view). For example, you read a page, go the table of contents and choose another page, but how do you get back to the original page? Without a back button like the desktop version, it’s quite frustrating.
    Thanks for listening (well, reading :)

20. Chris says:

It would be great to be able to turn of the black pop up page number tab – I find it really distracting when reading on an iphone. I can just tap the screen if I need to know what page I’m on.
    Really like the continuous scrolling feature – so much better for PDF’s than ibooks.

21. matt davis says:

is the program able to open up and view pdf’s that were created from scanned images such as old, out of print books? (all the free books on google books for example)

22. Lucy says:

When I create a PDF Portfolio for meeting papers, when I try to open each individual file in the PDF Portfolio on my ipad a prompt comes up asking me to download Adobe Reader. I downloaded Adobe Reader and can now read the PDF’s but the ‘annotation’ icon is greyed out so I can’t write notes or highlight anything on the document. I can only do this if I open the same document in Notes Plus. Any ideas why I can’t annotate a PDF Portfolio document on my ipad? help please!

• Rick Borstein says:

We had someone else ask this recently and I have asked our product manager about this. I don’t think we currently support annotations on attachments. (the files in a PDF portfolio are considered attachments).

• Rick Borstein says:

UPDATE: Our product team let me know that commenting on attachments is not supported at the present time.

23. bethk says:

I get why there isn’t a bookmark function but is there a way to open a document on the last page viewed so that you don’t have to start from the begining every time?

24. Feature Request says:

It would be a great addition if the iOS version of adobe reader could record and playback audio, like the windows version of adobe reader XI.

25. Neal Gelderman says:

It would be really helpful to have a 2 page view option for the iPad, does anyone know if this is planned at all?

26. Richard says:

I would like to use an ipad/iphone app to annotate pdf papers and store them automatically in an online directory. the reader app along with files.acrobat.com works great, except the web interface seems to only allow me to upload one file at a time. I would like to add a library of 70 or so journal articles to my account, but do not want to do so one file at a time. Is there a tool I can use to move folders of files from my desktop to my files.acrobat.com account?

• Rick Borstein says:

On the iPad, you can only upload one file at a time. From your desktop, you can upload multiple files.

27. Cyndi says:

Does the ipad version of Adobe Reader have a read out loud option and if so how do you access this option?

28. Natlie W. says:

I own an iPad, I am trying to read my ebooks (textbooks) for class. They are in PDF files and adobe is required to read the books. I have downloaded the adobe app version 11.0.0. it seems like it would work great but, I need to be able to apply my password to the ebooks to open them. Unfortunately, I am not able to place my cursor in the box to enter my username and password. When I tap on the box, the screen either gets smaller or larger. Can this be your next modification/upgrade? I have to now print this book out so I can move around with the book instead of sitting at my desktop. Please look into this.