Turning off the Annoying Signature Status Bar in Acrobat XI

UPDATE:  This issue was fixed in the the Acrobat/Reader XI 11.04 update.

With the 11.03 update to Reader XI and Acrobat XI, you might have noticed that documents sometimes open with a green signature status bar:

I find this status bar really annoying and so do many of you.

Unfortunately, there is a bug in the code which leads to a lot of false positives. Thus, you may be seeing the green bar more than you should. We are going to refine the feature and likely include a preference to turn it off in a forthcoming update.

In the meantime . . .

On a document by document basis, you can reclaim the space taken up by the green status bar.

Here’s how . . . just click on the Signature icon at the top left of the status bar:

After clicking, the status bar is removed:

FYI, all of the Status Bars work that way. Just click on the leftmost icon in the status bar to reclaim the space.

9 Responses to Turning off the Annoying Signature Status Bar in Acrobat XI

1. Richard says:

Wouldn’t an X at the right side of the bar be a more conventional approach?

2. GiladD says:

How to disable the Sign pane and annoying Green Signature Bar (or just the latter) for good:

• Rick Borstein says:

I don’t usually recommend registry hacks. I hope a future update will make this moot.

3. Mark Brooks says:

Yes that’s fine, but every time you re-open the document it comes back.

• Rick Borstein says:

Yes . . . that’s why I said on a document basis. If you close the document, the process recurs. As I noted, I believe a future update will offer the opportunity to turn it off completely.

4. Evan Guthrie says:

That status bar can be annoying and distracting. Thanks for showing how to turn it off.

5. Brad Johnson-Buchanan says:

Hi Rick,

First, I like your Adobe Blog! I’m desperately trying to drag my HR department into the 21st Century, a lot of the things you mention, we can utilize . The following question pertains to the Click-Through Agreements, but the post wouldn’t let me comment and I couldn’t find the “contact me” area. Is it possible to also send a notification, maybe via email, when a person has “confirmed or denied” reading of the document? :) Thanks!

• Rick Borstein says:

No, and this is an older doc. I’d suggest using a tool like Adobe Echosign for this which can do everything you need.