Adobe Reader 8.1.1 for Linux and Sparc Solaris is here!
We’re pleased to announce the release of Adobe Reader 8.1.1 on Linux and Sparc Solaris. This release comes packed with scores of new tools and features and improvements in the user interface and performance. You can go ahead and download the reader of your choice here and fontpacks here.
Features at a glance:
- New improved UI with more real-estate in terms of page view space. Only the most commonly used tools are present in the toolbar by default (and the toolbar can be customized by the user according to his/her own preference.)
- Sleek design and new stylish user interface elements (including toolbars, navigation tabs, panes, etc.) for a more rich user experience.
- Improved launch time and overall performance. Less waiting, more work.
- Support for Single Document Interface (SDI) mode for improved usability. Less cluttered, more intuitive.
- Always-available search toolbar (includes find and access to search pane)
- Support for DEB package installer, in addition to the RPM and TAR.GZ installers (linux). Better integration with the desktop.
- Use of standard tools such as XDG-UTILS. Better integration with multiple linux distributions/desktops(linux)
- Support for playing Multimedia-enabled PDF documents for supported media types (linux). Play Real media and more!
- Support for participating in Shared Reviews along with other users of Adobe Reader 8.x on Unix, and Adobe Reader/Acrobat 8.x on Win/Mac. Collaborate right inside the Reader.
- Improvements in Commenting and Drawing Markup tools.
- New tools such as Loupe Tool, Pan and Zoom. Expand your horizons, and control what you want to see.
- Support for dynamically rendered bar code generation in forms.
- Updated Review Tracker with inbuilt support for RSS feeds. Use the Reader as your RSS feed reader!
- New 2D and 3D measuring tools for more accurate control of architectural drawings.
- Printing: New support for Booklet Printing and Low Resolution printing of secured documents.
- Significant performance improvement for certain types of forms via direct rendering for Dynamic Forms.
- Support for documents created with Adobe Acrobat 3D including navigation, cross-section and rendering.
- Accessibility: Support for Orca.
- Various new additions to the Manage Digital ID feature, including support for Roaming Credentials, support for Cryptographic Tokens and Smart Cards (PKCS#11 compliant).
- Support for adding a Digital Signature Field in documents which have been “Reader Enabled” through Acrobat Professional on Win/Mac.
- Support for viewing PDF Packages – get an organized view of your PDFs in a single well-defined interface.
- Support for the PRC format for 3D data.
- Beyond Reader: New help resources that contains up-to-date information on Adobe products, Adobe Reader and how it can be used with Adobe’s other products.
- Adobe Help Viewer – a self-contained, one-stop shop for all help related to the Reader
- Improved Search capabilities, including searching of sub-documents in a PDF Package, improved searching of attachments, etc.
Do spare some time to take the feature tour of the Reader. We look forward to your comments and feedback on this release!