« 100% CPU Utilization Problem | Main | Adobe Reader on Solaris x86 coming in 2009! »

Issues related to Printing and Uninstallation of Reader 8.1.2 on Windows

Although this blog is for the Adobe Reader on Unix Platforms only, we have received scores of user comments about some issues related to printing and uninstallation of Reader 8.1.2 on Windows. This post is meant to bring all those issues to one page and to provide a solution to those issues.

For all Windows Users – If you are looking for support related to issues with the Reader on Windows, please use the User-to-user forums. If you have purchased support for Acrobat, please use the official Acrobat Support Page.

Problem
Problems installing or uninstalling Adobe Reader 8.1.2 on Windows

Solution
Windows Reader users who are having problems in updating or rolling back from version 8.1.2, or getting the 1714 error during installation may find help on this official Adobe KB page at: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=320310&sliceId=1

Following is a list of the various comments we’ve received related to this problem:

The error I am receiving with my Adobe upgrade is that the older version of 8.1.2 cannot be removed. To contact my technical support people. However, as I am a private individual, I am the technical support. Any suggestions??

Posted by: Linda | February 19, 2008 12:35 AM

My Adobe Reader updated to the 8.1.2 version and now I can’t print from it. I am running a Windows XP operating system. I also can’t fix the update as it sayd that an older version cannot be removed. If I delete the Adobe and try to reinstall it, again it comes up with an older version cannot be removed with a file it sayd is not there. Any suggestions?

Posted by: Mary Anne | February 20, 2008 12:40 AM

I can open a pdf e mail file to read but it will not print,says unable to print…is printer ready,which it is.
also get error 1344 trying to open some pdf emails that have been saved.

Posted by: peter wilkinson | February 26, 2008 08:39 AM

I have the same problem as Linda. I don’t get any Icons for *.pdf documents! When I try the autoupdate, uninstall or manual remove and a new download and install, the install stops with the message Reader 8.1.2 can’t be removed. when I run adobe reader, it starts o.k. but tells me, it’s version 8.1.1 ! Any ideas? “please help me if you can, I’m feeling down, and I do apreciate …”

Posted by: Marc | March 7, 2008 04:52 PM

I’ve found it! Solution on http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c06482d
where maggie hallinan (http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?224@@2d1f975f@.3c06482d/2)
suggested to use the “Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utilities”.
Worked for me fine to!
cu, Marc.

Posted by: Marc | March 7, 2008 05:11 PM

The error I am receiving with my Adobe upgrade is that the older version of 8.1.2 cannot be removed. To contact my technical support people. However, as I am a private individual, I need technical support.

Posted by: rudolfo | March 8, 2008 01:18 PM

Unable to bring up any tax fil from my broker which i desparetly need When reinstalling says”cannot uninstall older version. Can you help me?

Posted by: DAN SMITH | March 9, 2008 12:29 AM

Unable to updated to Adobe 8.1.2…. I can’t even print pdf’s anymore with this application. Why can’t I uninstall Adobe’s 8.1.1 and update — Dialog informs me a “patch” is missing?? Rolled back to Adobe 7. I’m using Windows XP.

Posted by: Rosalyn Martin | March 10, 2008 12:16 AM

After downloading update 8.1.2 I haven’t been able to use AdobeReader. I keept trying to reinstall, update or remove and I keep getting a message saying, “The path ‘C:\DOCUME~1\CHARLES~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Adobe Reader 8_\AcroRead.msi cannot be found.’ And I also receive a message saying “The older version of Adobe Reader 8.1.2 cannot be removed. Contact technical support.”

What can I do? Please help!

Posted by: Charles Lovelace | March 10, 2008 07:25 AM

Adobe Reader 8.1.1 doesn’t function well: I can read PDF-pages, but I can’t print them. A new try to install failed and the message was that an older version couldnot be removed. When I tried to remove the program with the standard uninstall-possibilities of Windows XP I received the message that the program couldnot open the patchpack (or package?) and that I should ask you if the Adobe Reader contains a valid Windows XP Installer-Pactchpack(age?). Wat can I do and how can you help.

With regards,
Anton de Jong

Posted by: A. de Jong | March 11, 2008 07:13 AM

Acrobat was unable to print.
I tried to re install ver 8.1.2

Posted by: arnaud Bibard | March 13, 2008 07:36 PM

Or it keeps saying that the printer is unavailable?? Any suggestions??

Posted by: Ian Cullen | March 17, 2008 07:07 AM

I’m have the same troubles as many of the other users.
My Adobe Reader updated to the 8.1.2 version and now I can’t print from it. I am running a Windows XP operating system. I also can’t fix the update as it says that an older version cannot be removed. If I delete the Adobe and try to reinstall it, again it comes up with an older version cannot be removed with a file it says is not there. Any suggestions?

Posted by: Dean Avery | March 18, 2008 01:56 AM

When I tried to remove Abode Reader 8.1.1, there was an error messege: This patch package could not be opened!! I couldnt remove or update the program! Please Help!

Posted by: Nancy | March 18, 2008 08:27 AM

I am having same problem as Nancy…need this program for work! HELP!!!!

Posted by: Ganesa Wiens | March 19, 2008 08:50 AM

Same problem here. I can’t use it, repair it, delete it or even open it. Get a message telling me that the patch package cannot be opened. Verify that it exists. I have no idea what to do. Throw me a life line here…pretty please?

Posted by: Ganesa Wiens | March 19, 2008 08:56 AM

This patch issue seems to be a recurring problem. I too am unable to uninstall AR 8.1.1 for the same reason. Is there an answer???

Posted by: Greg Cooke | March 21, 2008 08:21 AM

Same as is the one posted the most….can’t print, can’t unistall.

where are the answers to these posts?

Posted by: Michele | March 21, 2008 05:32 PM

I have tried to remove adobe 8.1.1 as it is not working properly.
When I try to remove it from add/remove programs in control pannel a message appears: Missing patch file,make sure file patch exists.
It will not let me remove it. Any ideas?

Posted by: kEVIN MARSH | March 21, 2008 06:54 PM

I also have trouble with the reader pdf
same as others it will not work and can not remove it or reistall it as many poeple are having same problems how can I get to answer
is there somewhere i cat go to get a response

Posted by: bill thomson | March 22, 2008 12:26 AM

Same problem with the patch could not be opened error. Never had this problem before today. Where do we find help? All I get is directed to this page.

Posted by: Janet | March 22, 2008 04:32 AM

8.1.1 reader does not function it always fails cannot reload cannot uninstall refers to AC76BA-7AD7-0000-2550-7ABC-40000000 cannot use it update or remove it

Posted by: Tommy Wooten | March 22, 2008 10:36 PM

Posted by: richard ojeda | March 23, 2008 04:39 AM

NEED HELP. SAME PROBLEM CAN,T UNINSTALL OR PUT ANOTHER VERSION.

Posted by: JUDY FARK | March 23, 2008 11:37 AM

Same problems. Older version of 8.1.2 cannot be removed. Cannot use Reader or reinstall. WTF?!

Posted by: Shannon | March 25, 2008 06:20 AM

Same problem as preceding folks – how do we uninstall 8.1.1? Doesn’t function, no reload, no way out – how do we get rid of this thing?

Posted by: Pete Lord | March 28, 2008 06:52 AM

Or it keeps saying that the printer is unavailable?? Any suggestions??

Posted by: f.g.pachano | March 28, 2008 03:08 PM

Hi. I get the same results and messages as. A. de Jong | March 11, 2008. But I don’t see any answers for this problem. I tried to update to 8.1.2 but when i try to install it the message comes up that, it cant install because of the problem patch of 8.1.1.
Please help as I am stuck without the reader. It did not happen before i updated to newer version 8.1.1

Nic (XP)

Posted by: Nic | March 28, 2008 08:14 PM

I thought i was going “bonkers” till i read other persons are having the same problem of not being able to install 8.1.2

Posted by: Maurice | March 28, 2008 11:33 PM

I can read PDF-pages, but I can’t print them. A new try to install failed and the message was that an older version couldnot be removed. When I tried to remove the program with the standard uninstall-possibilities of Windows XP I received the message that the program could not open the patch pack and that I should ask you if the Adobe Reader contains a valid Windows XP Installer-Pactchpack.I need to print an important document.

Posted by: Tracey | March 29, 2008 03:00 AM

I can not remove or update Adobe Reader8.1.1 form my Pc it tells me Error 1714 the older version CAN NOT be removed.or this patch could not be opened,verify that the patch exists and you can access it.or contact the application vender to verify is a valid windows Installer patch package.

Posted by: Joe Perez | March 29, 2008 03:19 AM

Same as everyone else, can no longer open pdf files. Keep getting error 1714. I can’t remove the older version and reinstall. This is a BIG problem for me.

Posted by: Chris Watkins | March 31, 2008 03:04 AM

I am having the same issues like most of the postings. I cannot print, I have Windows XP, and Adobe Reader 8.1.2. I tried manually removing as per instructions on your website but when I get to removing c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\Active X\del ACroIEHelper.dll it tells me access denied. What can I do to correct this issue?

Posted by: Arleen Gross | March 31, 2008 04:47 AM

I have tried to remove adobe 8.1.1 as it is not working properly.
When I try to remove Adobe Reader 8.1.1 from add/remove programs in control pannel a message appears: Missing patch file,make sure file patch exists.
It will not let me remove it. Can you help me?

Posted by: Judith Abernathy | March 31, 2008 07:36 AM

Hi- I use the Canada Post website to print my shipping labels and it is always when using it that I get the notices of upgrades etc. I d/l 8.1.2 a few days ago but then I got error message that it failed to install. Message of upgrades popped up again today so I tried again. Still says failed to install. What do I do????

Posted by: Pat Pitcher | March 31, 2008 10:46 PM

Has anyone heard back about the “unable to uninstall 8.1.1″ due to patch package? I tried to do it as well with the same result. I would like to get 8.1.2 and I can’t due to the problems with 8.1.1. Please advise and help! Thanks…. Staci

Posted by: staci | April 1, 2008 12:05 AM

Same problem as Tracey, Nic, Pete, Tommy, Janet, Greg, Ganesa, and Nancy! HELP! I can’t print any PDF files, can’t uninstall, can’t update. Major mess!!!

Posted by: Lucy | April 1, 2008 10:20 AM

I’m having the same problem as most here. I can’t uninstall or remove 8.1.1 it’s crazy. Please ….some advice please.And i can’t update because of the error “patch” thing

Posted by: rebecca whitehouse | April 2, 2008 02:07 AM

Same problem, 8.1.1 does not function well at all and wont uninstall. Operating system is Windows XP. Does anyone have a solution???

Posted by: Andy Jones | April 7, 2008 05:45 PM

I need to uninstall Adobe Reader 8.1.1 before installing 8.1.2….cannot uninstall….need Adobe Reader 8.1.2 in order to print my income tax returns. Please help

Posted by: Claire | April 9, 2008 06:45 AM

abode8.1.1 wnat let me open to my broker/want let me uninstall it/say can uninstall old verion can not be remove/ helphelp runner window xp

Posted by: james brown | April 9, 2008 10:32 AM

cant remove old version … can anyone help me?

Posted by: Ron | April 10, 2008 09:43 AM

I cannot fully delete an earlier version of Adobe Reader in order to install an updated version. An update file [AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C40000000] cannot be removed. How do I uninstall this file so that I may install a newer version of Adobe Reader?

Posted by: Bob | April 10, 2008 08:09 PM

I am trying to install Reader 8.1.2 but it keeps erroring out telling me it can remove an older version of 8.1.2. I don’t have any versions of Reader installed and it keeps giving me this message.

Posted by: Russ | April 11, 2008 04:24 AM

how do you delete reader 8.1.1

Posted by: andrea dove | April 12, 2008 10:01 PM

Comments

Somewhat same problem, but cannot open pdf files.”Error 1714. The older version of Adobe Reader 7.0.9 cannot be removed”. I am a small, one-man business operation. Took computer to Geek Squad, they said contacted Adobe who said it cannot be fixed.

I click on to agree to the terms on the contract to open the new adobe 8.1.2 but it does nothing. I decline and it closes the whole program. I cannot access any of my documents now. I uninstalled this program and tried to use an older version but now it won’t work either. I am stuck. Please help, as I need to use my computer asap. Yours sincerely A Long

I have printed postage with USPS Click-N-Ship for years with Reader. Now the error: Printer unavailable” comes up. When trying to uninstall 8.2.1 and re-installing I get the error”AdbeRd812_EN_US.msi” is missing. Can not uninstall. Any Ideas?

Where are the answers to everyones questions ??????
    Do you people at Adobe just sit back and laugh at all the problems we are having????????

I’ve found it! Solution on http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c06482d
    suggested to use the “Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utilities”.
    Worked for me fine to!
    cu, Marc.

Posted by: Marc | March 7, 2008 05:11 PM

Don’t know if my other post got in or not.

This worked great Marc. Thanks ever so much.

I don’s see here and can’t find instructions for uninstalling Adobe Reader 8.1.2. Add/Remove (Win XP, Home Ed, SP3) reads from WIN Installer: “The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Try again (no use)or enter an alternate path to folder containing installation package AcroRead.msi in box below.”
    The paths do not work!

I have Adobe Reader 8 installed on my PC. I tried to generate reports but Adobe Reader did not work so I tried to instal Adobe Reader 9 but could not instal completely, an error 1714 appeared saying that the older version of Adobe Reader 9 can not be removed; whereas older version of Adobe Reader 9 was never installed. Please help.Thanks. Zaid Qureshi.

I am having the same problem with Adobe 8.1.1
    I also click on the terms and it will not allow me to print a form for my express-scripts.

I am running windows vista software. The adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not let me print from pdf. Fatal error 1311, cannot find source files and need a plug in. Please contact me wih help. My computer is brand new.

I downloaded Adobe 8.1.2 but am unable to print out my income tax report. Please help.

I can not print nor can I remove any old verision. I keep geting the same error message, (1714 )

What can I do? Please help!

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUES AS THE PEOPLE ABOVE. VERSION 7.0.9. I CANNOT REMOVE, THUS CANNOT INSTALL LATEST TO OVERCOME PRINTING PROBLEMS. NOW I AM STUCK: CAN’T REINSTALL 7.0.9, CANNOT INSTALL THE NEW 9.O WHICH I DOWNLOADED AND THUS STUCK IN THE MIDDLE.
    THE URL GIVEN ABOVE FOR HELP IS NOT WORKING EITHER (HAS BEEN REMOVED?) http:\\kb.adobe.com\… ANY NEW IDEAS?

How can I uninstall adobe reader 8.1.1?

I, like many posts, cannot install 9. Keep getting 1714 error.I cannot use Adobe and I need to do so today. Can you please help me. Carol

I have Adobe 6.0.0, 7.0.8, 8, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.3 all installed on my computer. I was going to upgrade to 9.0. Should I remove all the old versions before installing 9.0 ??

Problem
    Problems installing or uninstalling Adobe Reader 8.1.2 on Windows

Solution
    this address does not work!!!! HELP!!!!!

I can’t uninstall , as others have described. Please help.

Can’t print pdf files after updating from version 8.1.2 to version 9. I can open files but it will not print,says unable to print…is printer ready,which it is. It gives no choice to find printer, simply to exit.

Like everyone else I was getting Error message 1714 and have been going around in circles and tearing my hair out until seeing the posting from Marc on 7.3.08 referring to Maggie Hallinan’s solution – it works !!! I am so happy – I now have Version 9 installed and working properly, including printing thanks to Windows install clean-up.

Ihave exactly the same problem! Cannot uninstal Reader 7.09. Did you find a solution? Would appreciate your help

When I print any PDF file the text comes out in goobly-gook, just weird symbols. How do I correct this?

I am having same problem! I don’t know why Adobe can’t tell me how to remove the old version so I can install the new one. It is imposssible to check important documents with adobe reader.

I have had the same problems with printing taxes with reader8.1.4. so when I clicked print I went and highlighted microsoftxps document writer that is in the list with my printer, Saved file to documents using .xps opened that up and no problem with printing my taxes.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)