ColdFusion Cookbook recipe drive

Contributions to the ColdFusion Cookbook have been sparse as of late, so I wanted to see what I could do to jump-start some recipe contributions.

You may be asking yourself, “what is the ColdFusion Cookbook?”  In short, it is a repository for community generated code samples that offer fellow developers CF-focused coding tips & tricks, workarounds and solutions to specific development challenges.  If you are still uncertain as to what the ColdFusion Cookbook is, or what a CF code recipe should look like, take a peek at this recipe to get a better sense.

Now let’s move on to the gory details of the recipe drive!

From Sep 20 – Oct 18 EVERY person who contributes a code recipe to the ColdFusion Cookbook will receive an ADC branded t-shirt.  If you contribute two recipes in that time frame, yes, you will receive two shirts!

How do you collect your shirt, you ask?  Simple: drop me an email <esulliva at adobe dot com> with the link to your recipe contribution, your preferred t-shirt size and your mailing address/phone.  That’s it…you’re done!

But wait…there’s more.  Whoever submits the most recipes during the contest duration will receive an ADC-branded Timbuk2 bag that will contain some additional yummy surprises in it.

Ready to start submitting?  Well we’re not quite done yet!  At the end of the submission period, we will be choosing the top 5 recipe submissions and putting them out to a community vote to determine who submitted the best recipe.  That individual will be awarded a copy of ColdFusion 9 Std!

When I said “we” will be choosing the 5 finalist to put to vote, I was not speaking in terms of the “royal we”; I have enlisted the help of some CF heavyweights to assist in determining the list of recipe finalists.  You may even know a few of them.  Without further ado, I introduce our esteemed panel of judges:

1. Raymond Camden – While Ray is probably best known for his love of all things Star Wars, he has also been known to dabble in ColdFusion from time to time.  If you know CF, you know Ray.  Give him a follow on Twitter, or check out his blog.
  2. Terry Ryan – A long time CF’er, Terry is now a Platform Evangelist here at Adobe and is constantly on the road speaking to customers and presenting at various industry events.  You can stay current on Terry’s travels and see what he is up to on his blog and by checking out his Twitter account.
  3. Kevin Schmidt – An unabashed Colts fan, Kevin has been in the CF community for about as long as I can remember as either a user group manager or an Adobe Community Professional.  Kevin recently joined the Mothership as a Solutions Engineer focused on LiveCycle and Flex.  Be sure to follow Kevin’s escapades on his blog and give him a follow on Twitter.

One final word: please don’t rush over to the cookbook and submit a bunch of a half-baked code recipes just to get a t-shirt.  That’s not going to help anyone.  If you really need a t-shirt that bad, email me <esulliva at adobe dot com> and I may take pity on you.  I really hated to even bring this topic up, but the last recipe drive I did resulted in only a handful of top notch contributions and way too many incorrect or incomplete code recipes, which really dilutes the value of the Adobe Cookbooks.

OK, finally…that’s it!  So come share some code with the CF community and get yourself a cool t-shirt.  Or share a bunch of ColdFusion code recipes and take a shot at getting the Timbuk2 bag full of Adobe goodness.  And who knows…maybe your recipe will be selected as one of the 5 finalists and you’ll grab that copy of CF 9 Std!!

If you have any questions on the recipe drive or the cookbook application itself, don’t hesitate to drop me a note <esulliva at adobe dot com>.

Happy coding!

26 Responses to ColdFusion Cookbook recipe drive

1. PaulH says:

some of the cookbook categories are redundant, 1i8n, internationalization & ll10n, localization.

2. Edward Sullivan says:

Thanks Paul. Those tags are write-in tags provided by community members when they contribute a recipe, but we’ll see what we can do to clean some of them up and merge tags where appropriate.

3. Wil Genovese says:

Sure thing, I’ll add some of my stuff there. But hey, I didn’t even know this “Cookbook” existed.

4. Edward Sullivan says:

Hey Will. That would be great, thanks! Look fwd to seeing some of your stuff.

5. inj says:

Shirts only for U.S. residents? 🙂

6. Edward Sullivan says:

@inj: CF code knows no geographical bounds…shirts are for EVERYONE who contributes a recipe!

7. Khoa says:

Is there any expected code size of the recipe that you are looking for? Such as how long or how short should they be?

• Edward Sullivan says:

Hi Khoa – there is no expected size. Great CF tips come in all sizes! I see you posted a recipe…thanks! Great contribution.

• Khoa says:

Hi Edward, thanks for setting up the cookbook. It is a great idea to keep cf community more active. I’m always sad when hearing someone saying cfml developer number are dropping and even some companies are thinking of switching to another language because it’s hard to find good cf develolers compared to php, java and other languages. Things such as this cookbook is what we need to keep the community stronger.

BTW, just got my 2nd recipe up. Wait for more! 🙂

8. Ryan says:

Is it just me or is there no way to search just the ColdFusion cookbook? The search in the upper right of the cookbook site searches all cookbooks. I wanted to see if my idea is already in there but I’m mostly ending up with Flex stuff when searching.

9. Ryan says:

Ed that first link just searches the Adobe Cookbooks for ColdFusion. I’m trying to find results only within the ColdFusion cookbook. For example if I search for ColdFusion Array, some of the results are still Flex only recipes.

For your second example of using tags – not everyone who wrote something about arrays will tag their entry with “array”. I really think there needs to be a way to just search for ColdFusion recipes.

10. Ryan says:

Looking at this a little more, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying about using tags. I tried searching for Array, then clicked on the ColdFusion tag on the right to filter my search to only records that had a ColdFusion tag. But when I click on the ColdFusion tag it seems to drop my array search, now I’m just looking at everything tagged with ColdFusion.

11. Edward Sullivan says:

Hi Ryan – the search box performs a full text search across all Cookbooks for your search terms, so it will not return results specific to only the CF cookbook.

The tag navigation filters results by which tags were applied to a recipe, which is the only way to specifically search just the CF cookbook. However, currently you cannot combine the two (do a full text search and then filter by tags), which is what you are trying to do in your most recent comment.

However, the full text search using “ColdFusion” and “Array” should return all recipes that contain those two terms in the body of the recipe, even if the recipes were not tagged with those terms; as you mentioned previously, not everyone will add the “array” tag to their recipe, even if it does deal with arrays. You may see a few recipes that are only tagged with “Flex” in the search results, but if that recipe has the terms “ColdFusion” and “Array” in the body, then the recipe will still get returned when you do a full text search via the search box.

This link is from a full text search for those two terms: http://cookbooks.adobe.com/search/ColdFusion%2C+Array?hl=en&start=0.

I did notice in the results set at the link above that there is one recipe that got returned that did not have both terms in it (the “Array Shuffle” recipe) and I will look into why that recipe was returned since it did not contain both the search terms “CF” and “array”.

Hope that helps.

12. Khoa says:

Hi Edward, just on the search topic, I couldnt manage to find anywhere to see the list of all recipes at once. I know there are tags at the front page but while going through them (and I did, for every tag, every post!) I come across the same recipe over and over again because they contain multiple tags.

Is there any way I could see all of the recipes in one single list? Just a standard list. Sorry if I missed something too obvious there on the page.

Actually I dont really need them as I read all of them(!) but think it would be handy, especially for new users who doesn’t want to miss one single tip like me :-p

13. Edward Sullivan says:

Hi Khoa – thanks for your contributions! Unfortunately we do not have a way to display all the recipes at once, sorry. You can subscribe to the RSS feed that will push any new contributions to you though: http://cookbooks.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=rss&category=template&entity=recipes.

Hope that helps!

Ed

• Khoa says:

RSS feed? Oh, almost forgot we got such thing, just kidding 😛

I do follow the adode cookbook Twitter account but as this is for the whole cookbook, not just coldfusion, I receive recipes of other languages as well. But I think that’s fine due to the small amount of recipes posted everyday.

Thanks Edward.

14. Edward Sullivan says:

Hi Khoa – if you are talking about just CF recipes, you can see a list of all available recipes ordered by date of submission at: http://cookbooks.adobe.com/recipes/tags/coldfusion?s=date.

Thanks!

Ed

15. Khoa says:

That’s what I was looking for! Thanks Edward.

16. Edward Sullivan says:

REMINDER:

If you have submitted a CF code recipe since I announced the recipe drive on 9/20, be sure to email me your shipping details and shirt size to claim your shirt!

Thanks for all the great contributions so far. Lots of great code has been contributed and lots of t-shirts have already been sent out. The leader for the ADC Timbuk2 bag is currently sitting at 4 recipes…can you beat that? If so, the ADC bag could be yours!

Ed Sullivan

17. Khoa says:

Hi Ed, you said above your email is does it miss an “n” at the end as your last name is Sullivan (has an extra “n”)?

18. Khoa says:

Oops, it stips out your email!!

Here it is again. You said your email is:

esulliva at adobe dot com

But your last name has an extra “n”. So is it the correct email?

19. Khoa says:

Edward, never mind, my email client tells me which is one correct 🙂

20. So whatever happened with this? Were the finalists picked and the votes taken and I simply missed it? If so, is the list of winners posted somewhere?

• Edward Sullivan says:

Hi Brian,

Look for more info this week. Last week was MAX and all of my judges, who are helping me determine the top 5 recipes, were at the event.

Thanks