On Friday, November 9, 2012, the 12th annual Adobe Design Achievement Awards (ADAA) made its triumphant return to Canada during the DesignThinkers 2012 conference in Toronto. Held in collaboration with Icograda (International Council of Communication Design), the awards honoured students and faculty from around the world in new and traditional media.
Winning projects were selected from 41 finalists out or nearly 5,000 total entries from 70 countries. Winners were recognized in 13 categories including interactive media, video and motion, and traditional media; as well as three categories for educators celebrating innovative teaching methods.
Winning entries were selected based on originality, effectiveness in meeting the communication objective and skill in applying Adobe products. All nominated entries were on view for Canada’s design community during the two-day DesignThinkers conference. A list of nominees and gallery of the entries can be viewed at ADAAgallery.com.
Canada was well represented in the winner’s circle, with three out of four Canadian finalists taking home hardware. Vanessa Li from Sheridan College won for best browser based design. Richelle Rogers from York University and Sheridan College took home best packaging design. Finally, Professor Hector Herrara from the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD) was recognized for his innovation in motion and video in education.
Other winners include:
- Animation: Ainslie Henderson, Edinburgh College of Art, Great Britain
- Application Development: Bram Monstrey , Hogeschool West-Vlaanderen (HOWEST), Belgium
- Game Design and Development: Mitchell Brien (group leader), Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Illustration: Yeni Kim, Royal College of Art, Great Britain
- Installation Design: James Coltman (group leader), University of the Arts London, Great Britain
- Live Action: Christopher Lavelle, Sunderland University, Great Britain
- Mobile Design: Kirsten Southwell, North Carolina State University, United States
- Motion Graphics: Michael Rigley, California College of the Arts, United States
- Non-Browser Based Design: Lee Soyoung (group leader), Hongik University, Korea
- Photography: Pablo Jimenez, Academy Of Art University, United States
- Print Communications: Jeff Han, Art Center College of Design, United States
- Innovation in Interactive Media in Education: Anna Zyrianova, St. Petersburg State Academy of Art and Design, Russia
- Innovation in Traditional Media in Education: Kyuha Shim, Rhode Island School of Design, United States