by infinite_resolution

Created

May 19, 2009

Startup Profiles – A Great tool to Customize your New Documents

Contributed by Rohit Guglani, Illustrator Team
A lot of time we hear from our users to have the default settings of a new document changed to suit their requirements. Document Startup Profiles – control the properties of new document. Following settings can be controlled using the startup profiles:

1. Swatches
16. Edges
17. Guides
18. Grid
19. Transparency Grid
20. Rulers
21. Smart Guides
22. Document Raster Settings (resolution, preserve spot)

So, next time you want to customize your default profile just create a new document and customize the various settings and save the file to any of these locations:

Mac : {user}:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Adobe Illustrator CS4:{lang}:New Document Profiles
Win : {drive}\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings\{lang}\New Document Profiles

and the new profile starts appearing in the new document dialog.

NewDocument_n.jpgStartup_settings_n.jpg

Comments

• By Neeraj Nandkeolyar - 10:27 PM on May 21, 2009

There are people who work with thinner strokes (say .25pts) and repeatedly reducing the default 1pt stroke is part of design process for them. I found some one who was making good use of Startup Profiles – he simply modified the Default Graphic Style of the Startup Profile – made its stroke .25pts. with no fill. He was too fond of Universe font, which he used rather extensively – so he had changed the Default Character Style as well. I’m sure he saves a lot of time.

• By Hector Matias - 1:11 PM on May 4, 2011

Hola…!!! Estos si se aprende, los cual estoy muy agrade sido, Gracia Adobe

• By Illustrator Training - 5:27 AM on June 19, 2009

Can you can set multiple profiles and toggle between them?

• By Karry Look - 12:17 PM on August 27, 2010

thats a great article!
    keep doing this huge job!
    free release downloads
    פורומים
    watch tips

• By Leadership Training - 7:02 AM on August 29, 2010

Wonderful to read!

• By Jesse - 2:37 AM on November 30, 2010

Is it possible to create a custom “Size” list within your custom profile?

I would like to create a custom profile for some design work, however I use a variety of dimensions which are not the “standards”.

Cheers.

• By Lucile Vancleve - 7:26 AM on December 19, 2010

I enjoy the efforts you have put in this, appreciate it for all the great blog posts.

• By Isaac - 11:14 PM on March 8, 2011

This is a pretty great thing to know! But is there a way to save your preferences in color or stroke?

• By 30 Second Smile - 1:30 AM on April 4, 2011

There must be an option to save the preferences in stroke and color Isaac. I am pretty sure there is a tutorial available to do this as well.

• By Thomas - 4:17 AM on May 10, 2011

What does it mean when I start Ai CS5 up it crashes and quits suddenly? It happens when I open a file and create a new file.
    I did recently copy my whole OS (mac os 10.6.7 & including AI CS5) on my Mac Pro to my 115GB Mercury Pro On-The-Go Extreme external hard drive SSD made by OWC so I can use it as my boot up disc, could that be the problem?
    I used Disk Utility to copy or back it up to the SSD. It was 94GB and I have 21GB left on the SSD.
    Can someone please help me I need to use my illustrator software for Graphics work and since I can’t figure out what’s the problem I’m out of work! HELP! Please!

• By Thomas - 4:19 AM on May 10, 2011

Oops sorry I didn’t mean to say it twice my internet is lagging. Very sorry for that.

• By Terry Hemphill - 4:35 PM on May 10, 2011

Thomas,

Sorry for your issues, but this blog is not the ideal place to get immediate tech support. Either Twitter or calling support is the fastest. I’m sending your issue to Adobe Tech Support. If your email address is not correct, please advise.

Best,

–Terry H.

• By laminate flooring - 3:22 AM on May 12, 2011

Thanks Terry I will contact you on twitter regarding my questions.

• By MatchRate PLUS - 11:51 AM on September 1, 2011

Still lost! Yes, there must be an option to save the preferences in stroke and color Isaac… but where can I find it?

• By Terry Hemphill - 2:06 PM on September 1, 2011

If you want to have a default stroke width and color different than what you have now, you need to know that those are set by the default graphic style. Say you want to set it to black strokes, 1.0 pt stroke.

To do this:

- Open a new document using the profile you wish to modify
      - Draw a square
      - Set the square to to fill [none] stroke [black 1.0 pt]
      - Select the square
      - Hold the option (mac) or alt (win) key as you drag it on top of the [Default] Graphic Style in the Graphic Styles panel
      - Save the new document profile with a custom name.
      -That profile should now be available from the New Document Profile menu.

Let me know if this addresses your issue.

Best,

–Terry H.

• By Phone Swipe - 12:09 PM on November 2, 2011

Thanks for this. I still am not sure how to use the Transparency Flattener Settings. Can you help me locate them?

• By Premium Stock Vectors - 3:30 AM on December 23, 2011

Thanks for this post. I have a question on color profiles. For creating web icons, etc should we use CMYK or RGB color mode? How will they effect the final output?

• By Wilfredo Liedberg - 3:16 AM on September 30, 2012

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

• By Graphic Design - 12:43 PM on December 2, 2012

Awesome info over again! I am looking forward for more updates;)

• By David Laufer - 10:20 AM on March 31, 2013

sorry, still not getting this- I get as far as {user}:Library:Application Support:Adobe: but there is no folder for Illustrator CS6. I find Photoshop and assorted other CS applications, but no Illustrator. What now?