by Terry Hemphill

Created

June 23, 2009

Creating Accurate Ruler Guides in Illustrator

Contributed by Neeraj Nandkeolyar, Illustrator Workflow Team

Haven’t we all tried to create ruler guides as accurately as possible, but found after zooming in we found the guides were off? This is one of the reasons why most of us drag ruler guides out at maximum zoom. Here are some quick ways to get accurate ruler guides, without having to work zoomed in.

Choose the desired ruler units, either from Preferences, or control-click (on Mac) or right-click (on Win) on the rulers.

Pref_Units_Context_combined.png

First, the basics: to create simple vertical or horizontal ruler guides, drag from one of the rulers into your image. A guide appears where your release your mouse.Now, while dragging the new guide, press the Shift key. This makes the guide snap to visible, accurate sub-divisions on the ruler.Shift-Drag.pngThis snapping works only for new guides and not for existing ones. So how can you accurately re-position a guide later? First, select the guide, and from the Transform panel or Control panel, change its location on the x-axis (for vertical guides) or y-axis (for horizontal guides).Transform_XY.pngAnd finally, how can you create vertical guides from horizontal rulers? No problem, just just press Opt/Alt while dragging the guide from the ruler. And accurate snapping with Shift works here as well.

Comments

• By George Coghill - 8:23 AM on June 23, 2009

Nice tip! Never thought to use the Shift key, nor Illustrator’s Transform panel.

• By Mordy Golding - 9:52 AM on June 23, 2009

Thanks Neeraj! Great tips about working with guides. But I’d really like to see Illustrator adopt some of the functionality from InDesign in this area. Sure, you can easily reposition guides via coordinates in the Transform (or Control) panel, but you’d have to first unlock your guides. And if you have your guides unlocked, you’ll easily select them by accident when you select your artwork.In InDesign, there is logic that allows guides to be unlocked, but when you make a selection that also encompasses art, the art becomes selected and the guides are “temporarily” unselectable. While this would prevent a user from selecting and moving objects and guides together, I think it’s rare that designers would want that. I’d rather see a state where I could guides remain unlocked so that I can easily adjust them, but where the guides never get in the way of the objects.

• By George Coghill - 12:19 PM on August 10, 2009

Good to know about the Shift key feature.

• By Hassan Menedez - 6:05 PM on August 30, 2010

I usually read the article on blogs previous to I leave a remark. If I have not much to say of the piece topic, I may not leave any views. And I love to read someone else’s opinions on that post as well. Because I will find helpful ideas with the high-quality comments. I would have posted “Superior blog! Notable posts!” then I might possibly be spamming your blog. I too develop a journal, the very first thing I would do day to day once i signed up on my blog is find out more about observations to my posts and manually approve or reject these responses. Keywordluv not simply brings you more commenters. It promotes your position in search engines on the grounds that you’re not just on a multitude of “dofollow blog lists” but in addition on a handful of those “keywordluv lists”. Thanks, Fiona

• By MaKA - 4:46 PM on December 20, 2010

This works fine with all ruler units, but not with Millimeter in CS5.
    Would be nice to get this fixed!!!

• By Richard Earney - 5:39 PM on January 26, 2011

If you unlock the guide View > Guides > Lock Guides you can also use the Move dialog to create copies (with Transform Again) to create complex but accurate grids. Then lock the guides a the end.

• By verena - 2:08 PM on April 28, 2011

GREAT! thanks very much!

• By Kimberley - 1:01 PM on January 26, 2012

I cannot get the guides to work! help!

• By Sue - 9:31 AM on February 7, 2012

Why don’t they let you type in cordinates? In Corel Draw you double click on a guide and from there you can move the guide by typing in the measurement you want it to be at. You can also delete the guide, make a new guide, or even switch from horizontal to vertical guides or angled guides. There are also presets for 1 inch margins, columns, printable area etc. and you can make your own presets. That is one feature I really miss since converting to Adobe.(Let me know if there is a way to do this in Adobe that I am missing)

• By Eric - 12:28 PM on April 10, 2013

Yes, this is a really helpful feature in Corel Draw, I’m hoping that it is also available in Illustrator, and I too just haven’t stumbled across it.

• By Alphonso - 12:34 PM on August 24, 2012

Excellent tips for working with guides, I also never thought about using the transform panel, until now, but I will certainly use it in the future!
    Thanks for that

• By Morten Seglem - 7:28 AM on January 30, 2013

Hey! Great tip, and here’s another one:

1 – Make two (2) guide of equal lenght, and put in both ends.
    2 – Object > Blend > Blend Options. Use “Specified distance”.
    3 – Object > Blend > Make.

Voillà!

• By Güneş Önderoğlu - 9:12 AM on February 28, 2013

I cannot get the guides to work! help!

• By kuaför - 9:13 AM on February 28, 2013

• By Gelin Saçları - 9:14 AM on February 28, 2013

This works fine with all ruler units, but not with Millimeter in CS5.
    Would be nice to get this fixed!!!

• By Matthew - 7:13 PM on July 13, 2013

Hi,

Am beginner designer, Very useful tutorial.

• By jdee - 11:42 AM on September 4, 2013

The horizontal ruler is the only one active. How do I also see the vertical ruler?