Adobe Reader Blog
Stay up-to-date on Adobe Reader…

February 25, 2013

Adobe Reader XI: Not just for reading anymore

Adobe Reader has been around for a while now – nearly 20 years, in fact. In those two decades, there have been a lot of changes, both in the digital document industry and in Reader itself. The most recent incarnation of Adobe Reader is without a doubt the most robust version yet, thanks in no small part to the fact that this Reader is no longer just for reading. With Adobe Reader XI, we’re bringing your work tools to where you’re doing your work; we’ve added a new Tools pane to help you access our online document services quickly and easily from within the Reader interface. Here’s what we’ve included to help you get your work done:

• If you have a PDF file open and you want to make some changes to the content, you can export that PDF file to Word, Excel, and other formats using ExportPDF and continue your work in one of those natively editable formats. That includes scanned PDF files or image-only PDF files; even if you can’t search the file’s text, you can still export it. Instead of starting from scratch or manually copying and pasting text from the document, you can save time by converting to one of the formats that you edit documents with every day without skipping a beat.
  • When it comes time to convert that file back to PDF or to combine several files into a single PDF document, open up the “Create PDF” panel from the Tools pane and take advantage of the CreatePDF service to do just that. You can use CreatePDF to create and combine multiple files online and store those documents in the cloud from wherever you may be, and you can do it from Adobe Reader with just a few clicks.
  • When you’re looking at a PDF file that you want to distribute or share with colleagues and clients, you can send the document to them securely and track that document’s activity with Adobe SendNow. Your subscription will allow you to send documents of up to 2GB; you can even add custom branding to SendNow emails and download pages. Definitely beats sending a hard drive via overnight mail!
  • What about those times when you’re halfway through a 200-page document but you’ve got to leave the office? With a single click you can upload that document to Acrobat.com and access the file (at whatever page you left it on) from the Acrobat.com folder in Adobe Reader Mobile for iOS or Android. Acrobat.com lets you access all of your files from virtually any device, whenever you need them; why stay bound to a desk when Adobe Reader can follow you wherever you go, and Acrobat.com always has your files stored securely in the cloud?

Adobe Reader XI makes all of this happen directly from the Tools pane, your personal portal to productivity. Take a look at your options by clicking on “Tools” in the upper right corner of Reader the next time you open a document; you’ll be amazed at the things you can do. All you need to get started is an Adobe ID, which is free to create; sign in or create your ID through the Tools pane to see what these services can do for you and your workflow.

Next week, we’ll get granular and go over the how-to for each of the tools available to you in Reader; tune in to get the good news!

Bookmark and Share

COMMENTS

• By cesar - 11:53 PM on February 26, 2013

it works fine

• By Anne Haywood - 8:12 PM on February 28, 2013

I needed Adobe to download an application

• By joiemikitson - 9:41 PM on March 4, 2013

Hi Anne,

Adobe has a large number of products and solutions to help you out. Go to http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ to see a some of our top products including Adobe Reader.

• By james h waters - 11:16 PM on March 3, 2013

i do not see a “tools” pane anywhere in reader xi in windows 8 and i cannot print or do anything with the documents. what do i need to do to accomplish this?

• By Babatunde - 1:04 PM on March 5, 2013

I have installed adobe X on my vista operating system but opening document come up as error in the window photo gallery page. I cannot save as a pdf even when scan document.

• By davidsacoach - 2:41 PM on March 5, 2013

I have changed my email address thank you

• By khemrajlamichhane - 2:40 PM on March 6, 2013

i like it

• By Charlie - 2:30 AM on March 7, 2013

Adobe Reader XI stops working when I try to get it to read out loud. The failure occurs when I tell it to read this page only and also when I tell it to read to the end of the document.

• By joiemikitson - 5:01 PM on March 7, 2013

Sorry to hear that the Read Out Loud function is giving you trouble, Charlie. That can be very frustrating. It may be one of a few things. Can you please go to our help forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/adobe_reader. Our staff & community of experts should be able to help you find a solution.

• By Andrew - 6:42 PM on March 8, 2013

On my Windows7 I’ve upgraded to Adobe Reader XI, but on my Mum’s Windows Vista whenever I try to upgrade to Adobe Reader XI I keep getting re-directed to the Adobe Reader X download page… Is Adobe Reader XI only for Windows7 and Windows8?

• By joiemikitson - 9:09 PM on March 8, 2013

That is correct. Please see the Adobe Reader XI System Requirements here: http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/tech-specs.html That said, it is possible to install Adobe Reader XI on Windows Vista, but it’s not an environment we support. The last version of Adobe Reader for Windows Vista was Reader X which is why the page is redirecting you.

• By mwaba musonda - 6:54 PM on March 30, 2013

good and useful

• By joiemikitson - 12:36 AM on March 31, 2013

Glad you liked it! Thanks for reading.

• By Andy Woyen - 2:09 PM on April 2, 2013

After enjoying years of trouble free use of Adobe FREE PDF reader, you have now messed about with it, and updated it to 10 and now it doesn’t work anymore, (like all the rest of the software producers do).

It won’t read out aloud (That’s the main point), and there is something going on with folder selection on saving, (I don’t like having to navigate to the same folder 5 levels down every time I want to update a file)!

Why can’t you leave stuff alone, if it is working fine. DON’T FIX WHAT AIN’T BROKE! It was perfect as it was!

PLEASE give people the option to NOT UPDATE if they don’t want-to!
    Also, you SHOULD tell people, IN A BIG NOTE ON THE UPDATE, if you are going to REMOVE SOME OF THE FUNCTIONALITY if they upgrade. before they upgrade!

I’ve no real reason to use adobe now, if it won’t do what I need it to do; since I cannot get it to read my documents, I’ll have to fined some other way to get my PC to read my documents for me!

Re- My ‘Read Out Aloud’ is now not working, complaining that there is no voice available. NONE of your support (here on this page)- says how to fix it. None of your downloads specify that – …. ‘this is to add speech for the read out aloud’ feature. How do we do it? We are not mind readers you know!

Is this something you have started charging for? Or did you just break it? If so how can I fix it. Can you please tell up what’s going on? There are no updates available when I check for updates.

As you appreciate, I am annoyed at having to sort this out now, in the midst of a bunch of other problems I was having. At least I used to be able to depend and rely on Adobe.
    Not happy.
    Andy.

• By joiemikitson - 4:13 PM on April 2, 2013

Hi Andy,

We’re sorry for the trouble with the upgrade. We know there are a lot of changes to where tools and settings are but, we promise, everything’s there! Please make sure you’ve activated the “read aloud” function and selected the section to be read, though it seems simple a lot of times that can be the problem. Here’s some more information on the Read Aloud function in Reader X: http://adobe.ly/16joKDG, this may be helpful to you in finding an answer.

Before releasing the update we did extensive User Interface (UI) testing both before and during the pre-release cycle of the technology. We’ve also heard from multiple users that it was much easier for them to find (or discover) the tools with this approach. But we’re always listening to customer feedback and trying to improve, so we appreciate you reaching out. If there’s more we can do to help, please let us know, we want to make sure your issue gets solved and you are able to use Reader X for all of your needs!

• By Andy Woyen - 2:44 PM on April 2, 2013

Also edit needed – I forgot to add
    Your links from above are not of any help!

http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/tech-specs.html My spec is not the issue (2.4Ghz XP Home) etc.
    And my point there would be, that it WAS working fine – why did you break it?

YOU SAID http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/adobe_reader. in reply to
    joiemikitson says:
    March 7, 2013 at 5:01 pm

WHERE DOES IT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE #READ OUT ALOUD# FUNCTION not working – ON THAT PAGE?
    Why can’t you just put the answer on a page, so that you can direct people to all the fixes for READ OUT ALOUD NOT WORKING? Better still let them find it when they type READ OUT ALOUD NOT WORKING. And put a link that says READ OUT ALOUD NOT WORKING in the help files. It would save everyone, including yourselves a lot of heart ache.

An hour on this, today now and I cannot find one straight answer to a simple problem.
    I’ve had enough for today. Later…
    Bye. Andy- PS DON’T bother posting this, please email me or put the answer on this page or somewhere we can find it when we type READ OUT ALOUD Not working or problems. Try searching your own site like a customer, there’s no-simple help page for this topic.

• By joiemikitson - 9:54 PM on April 2, 2013

Hi Andy,
      We really would like to see if we can help! Can you provide us with a bit more detail about the problem?

1. What is the exact version of Adobe Reader you have installed? This can be found by choosing Help > About Adobe Reader
      2. Does speech to text on your computer work in other settings? For example, if you turn on Text to Speech within Control Panel > Speech, does it work for other content, such as web browsing in IE?
      3. Have you tried to repair your Adobe Reader installation via Help > Repair Adobe Reader?
      4. Are files you’ve had Reader read aloud in the past working or is the trouble only with new files?

• By Andy Woyen - 3:42 PM on April 2, 2013

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/795273 does not work!
    Re – Choose “General” from the Categories on the Left
    and at the bottom of the form you will find “[ ] Enable Protected Mode at startup”
    Uncheck it and
    Restart the program.

MY VERSION – has NO ( **** “[ ] Enable Protected Mode at startup” *****) OR I CANNOT FIND IT!

================
    I can activate and deactivate READ OUT LOUD – but the options below stay greyed out!
    ============

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3469277 My doc contains live text, in fact from Google Docs – where I always do it / the way I always do it. I also tried a previous doc, that I know TALKED to me, because I recorded the output for my car journey. It won’t play that now anymore.

===============
    Also at the above doc Someone said…. * This may seem like a silly response, but after you activate the read aloud function, you then have to select the section to be read. You can do this in the document itself by click the mouse on the section to be read……

Selecting text does not work..
    Highlighting does not work.

(There is a missing voice according to the message I originally saw, but ticked not to show again – and I cannot see how to turn it back on). Where can we get this ‘missing voice’.
    ==============
    Research shows you have OVER half-a-million results for “Adobe PDF reader READ OUT LOUD NOT WORKING”.
    Don’t you think its about time you gave us the answer?
    Andy.

• By Mark - 9:41 PM on April 14, 2013

Adobe has upgraded tiself to Adode XI. Now about half of my pdf documents don’t open, some do. The issue is that when I double click on the file the Adobe website opens up but the file doesn’t. What is happening?

• By joiemikitson - 3:41 PM on April 15, 2013

Hi Mark, sorry to hear you’re having trouble. It sounds like there could a few different things going on here. Could you share some more detail about the issue on our forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums ? Our experts and community professionals would like to help!

• By JulieWatson - 3:00 PM on April 22, 2013

I haven’t downloaded yet, as I’m not sure if it will accomplish my needs. With this free reader can we split multi pages to save as separate files?

• By joiemikitson - 3:14 PM on April 23, 2013

Hi Julie, Adobe Reader does not have the ability to split PDF files into multiple documents. For this function, you’ll need Adobe Acrobat. You can learn more about Acrobat by visiting: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat.html

• By Dina Di Marcantonio - 5:58 PM on April 23, 2013

Hola, he intentado descargar Adobe XI varias veces, la instalación se completa, pero cuando abro un pdf no se ve nada, sale un recuadro gris sin el texto del documento. Antes tenía la versión anterior, el X, y funcionaba perfectamente. No entiendo que ocurre con la XI. No consigo que funcione.

• By joiemikitson - 10:23 PM on April 23, 2013

Intente reparar Adobe Reader con el lanzamiento de la aplicación y seleccionando Ayuda> Reparar instalación de Adobe Reader.

• By paul chandra - 10:51 PM on May 11, 2013

I ordered Export PDF Files about two hours ago. Everything went smoothly in terms of purchasing it. After that, I tried to export my pdf file to convert it to MS Word but it would not upload it. I have a high speed Internet connection but it could not export this 2 mb file in over one hour. It is very frustrating. First I opened that file and then tried to export it. When that did not work, I thought that keeping it open might be a problem. So, I closed that file, killed the process that was trying to send the file over the Internet and then tried to export the file while it was not open. It has been almost one hour but still it says that it is “Uploading file to Adobe ExportPDF online…” How long does it take to upload a 2 mb file or a 10 mb file? I know that the Internet is working at good enough speed as I am able to go to various internet sites and the pages download very quickly. I have version 10.1.6 and using Windows 7. Even the need that arose to purchase this ExportPDF arose due to a problem with Adobe. I purchased a technical book online in PDF format. However, some of the technical data is not being displayed correctly. For example, some letters will be superimposed on each other. So, 750 mm will look as if 7 and 5 are superimposed on each other so you just don’t know what you are reading. Even if you can make out the two letters, it could very well be 570 mm. How do I know that the data was 750 mm? I copied that number and pasted it in Microsoft word and it showed 750. So, I thought that if I get this product, convert the file to MS Word, and then re-convert it back to Adobe PDF, maybe it won’t have this problem. However, I am having a big problem with the first step, which is just uploading the file to Adobe.

Any suggestion to fix this?

Thanks.

Paul.

• By joiemikitson - 3:57 PM on May 13, 2013

Hi Paul, sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This sounds like an issue with your network actually. From time to time we’ve encountered users who’s networks do not allow them to upload files online. As a test, could you try logging into http://files.acrobat.com with your Adobe ID and Password. Try uploading your PDF file here. If that too fails, you may want to simply try another network. Let us know how it goes!

• By jeff - 3:25 AM on June 20, 2013

Guys,

Hope this mail finds you well.
    Could anyone of you share to me the step by step procedure on how to split the pages of my PDF file,
    im using Adobe Reader XI now.
    I got a 5 pages pdf file and I need to save pages 4 and 5 as a seperate file.
    Thanks, hope to hear from you soon.

• By joiemikitson - 3:56 PM on June 20, 2013

Hi Jeff. Please check out this forums page for the answer to your question and let us know if this helps! http://forums.adobe.com/thread/339253

• By Linda Ryan - 8:54 AM on June 23, 2013

I am a tutor. I can no longer keep pdf files open long enough to read. Please help.

• By joiemikitson - 3:09 PM on June 23, 2013

Hi Linda, Can you please provide us with a bit more information? Which version of Reader do you have? What operation system do you have? Have you received any error messages?

• By Mahima Prasad - 10:40 AM on July 25, 2013

sir,
    Just recently when I tried using the “READ OUT LOUD” option in Adobe reader, the program did not respond & closed. Even, I saw a lag in all my other open programs for some time. Is there a solution or should I skip that option? please suggest/help.

Thanking you..

• By joiemikitson - 9:09 PM on July 25, 2013

Hi – what OS are you using? Have you tried ROL on a different file?

• By Mahima Prasad - 1:20 AM on July 27, 2013

Mine is windows 7 home basic 32 bit. Now I m experiencing “not responding” message sometimes even without using the ROL(it also heals itself aftr sum tym). ROL doesn’t work in any file. Behaves as if no effects of that command on ADOBE. I m also using the latest version of adobe reader.

• By joiemikitson - 1:44 AM on July 28, 2013

Hi Mahima,

• By . - 6:40 PM on July 28, 2013

Not so bad…

• By SL - 6:56 AM on July 31, 2013

I can’t copy and paste a scanned file in PDF. I can’t even find recognize text under tools. I am using Adobe Reader XI. Help please.

• By joiemikitson - 6:21 PM on July 31, 2013

Hi there. Please visit this link for assistance on how to solve your issue: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/acrobat-xi-tips-tricks/how-to-edit-a-scanned-pdf-file/

• By SL - 1:09 PM on August 1, 2013

I could not find recognize tools under tools. In my Adobe reader, under tools there is only Export PDF, Create PDF, Send Files and Store Files. I am using Adobe Reader XI Version 11.0.3

• By joiemikitson - 6:00 PM on August 1, 2013

Do you mean, “recognize text?” In the video we posted earlier, it shows you step by step how to edit a scanned PDF, including the step where it tells you where to find “recognize text”. Let us know if you find it. Thanks!

• By SL - 5:52 AM on August 2, 2013

Yes…I mean recognize text… I could not find it under tools and else where……:(

• By joiemikitson - 5:44 PM on August 2, 2013

“Hi SL. Try these steps:
            1) Open Reader
            2) Click “File,” then “Open.” Search for a scanned document in the pop-up window, select it, and click “Open.”
            3) Select the “Documents” tab, and select “OCR Recognition,” and then select “Recognize Text Using OCR.”
            4)Select the number of pages you wish to apply OCR to in the “Recognize Text” pop-up window.
            5) Click “Ok.”
            6) Optionally, you may select “Edit” to open the “Recognize Text – Settings” window to change your preferences.

• By SL - 5:49 AM on August 3, 2013

I dont seems to be able to find “documents’ tab in my adobe reader. :( and in edit, there is no recognize text settings…

• By joiemikitson - 6:57 PM on August 5, 2013

Have you tried installing the latest version of Reader: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

• By SL - 3:43 AM on August 6, 2013

Yes…mine is the latest version….

• By joiemikitson - 5:17 PM on August 6, 2013

Check out this video for steps on how you can use Acrobat to OCR your document so you can recognize the text: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-acrobat-x/recognizing-text-in-scanned-pdf-documents/

• By SL - 5:33 PM on August 6, 2013

Hi joiemikitson, I still could not find recognize text or OCR recognition in my Adobe Reader. I updated mine quite sometime, therefore it’s the latest version of Adobe Reader XI. It’s alright I guess…i give up..but i appreciate your help. Thank you very much! =)

• By Robin Turner - 11:54 AM on August 15, 2013

I can’t get Read Out Loud to work with Reader XI (11.0.03). I have already turned off protected mode. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Other sound functions (MP3’s// MP4’s websites) work fine. Adobe and the operating system both have the latest patches.

Help!

• By joiemikitson - 4:40 PM on August 15, 2013

Are you having trouble with all files, or just specific ones? Can you please make sure that the Read Out Loud function is activated? Use this help page for instructions: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7d24.w.html#WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7d15.w

• By Robin Turner - 12:52 PM on August 18, 2013

None of my PDF Files will read out loud. The actions in the instructions do not produce results. Where can I get a copy of Acrobat 9? – ROL works fine with version 9

• By joiemikitson - 5:16 PM on August 19, 2013

Hi Robin. Sorry for the inconvenience. Have you tried repairing Reader? Choose Help > Repair Adobe Reader Installation. Let us know if that helps.

• By Robin Turner - 3:38 PM on August 20, 2013

Help > Repair Adobe Reader Installation did NOT fix the problem

• By joiemikitson - 5:31 PM on August 20, 2013

Hi Robin. Have you tried visiting our forums for assistance? We have experts there ready to help out with any issues: http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa