Adobe Reader Blog
Stay up-to-date on Adobe Reader…

June 13, 2013

Updates to Adobe Reader Mobile

This week we’ve got a new release of the Adobe Reader Mobile app for Android and iOS. We’ve been reading all the reviews you’ve posted, and we’re happy to announce that we’ve worked in a couple often-requested features. We have three different platforms that we’ve just released, each with some unique enhancements.

File management for Acrobat.com files.

This has been a common request ever since we added both Cloud Storage and enhanced file management. It just took us a little longer to get the combination working together. Now you can delete and rename the files you have stored in Acrobat.com from directly within the Reader app.

View notes attached to text markups.

If your file has notes attached to the highlighted, underlined, or struck-out text, Reader will now show a ‘note’ icon to let you know that there’s a comment attached; just tap the icon to read it. In a future update we’ll also allow you to add a note to your own text highlights (right now, you can already add a comment anywhere on your document).

Updated iPhone UI

We’re adding more capabilities to our iPhone app, and we’ve outgrown the old bottom icon bar design. So we’ve moved to a new model with a sliding pane. Seeing this new design in action will make it much more clear than whatever we’d be able to describe here.

Access to your Acrobat cloud services. If you’re a subscriber to ExportPDF or CreatePDF, you can now take advantage of that subscription from within the Adobe Reader app on your iPhone or iPad. Just open the file you want to export from or convert to PDF and you’ll see an extra little button in the top menu bar. Track your file’s conversion progress in your Outbox (also new in this release). This will be coming to Android later this year, but we didn’t want to wait before letting our iOS users have it.

We’ve also made a couple of small improvements to our Android app that we think are worth mentioning, because they were direct customer comments that we addressed.

Keep your Cloud Cache private.

We want to keep an eye out for your data’s safety. The SD card of Android devices isn’t necessarily always safe from prying eyes, so we’ve moved our Acrobat.com cloud cache to the private data area so other apps can’t see the files unless you want them to. You can still move it back to the SD card if you really want to, though.

Open HTTP links

Our Android Reader can now directly handle links like https://path/file.pdf, so you can have Reader open PDFs without first downloading and locating the file on your device.

Performance improvements and Bug Fixes.

We’re always looking into fixing bugs and improving the performance of the app, and have fixed many of the issues that users have reported to us over the past few months. If you notice something that we haven’t, come to our forums to let us know what you’re thinking or experiencing!

Android forum

iOS forum

Now that you know what’s on the line, get out there and update! Don’t forget to give us a review in the app stores or leave us a comment here on the blog; we always want to hear about how you’re using (or would like to use) Adobe Reader Mobile. What do you think we should include in the next release?

Bookmark and Share

COMMENTS

• By Marketa Slamova - 11:47 PM on June 13, 2013

Je Adober mobile i pro Nokia Asha 309 ?

• By Sergejs Usakovs - 3:50 AM on June 14, 2013

(insert forum and email links)

===================

Rebecca, please do that! :))

• By Rebecca Staley - 5:46 PM on June 14, 2013

Thanks Sergejs, good catch! I added the forum links to Android & iOS; the Reader Mobile team reads and responds to questions & suggestions there, so if you’ve got a comment about the product or how you’re using it, we’d love to hear about it. Thanks again for the eagle-eye proof reading!

-Rebecca

• By kamal - 7:22 PM on June 14, 2013

i want to use this application in my personal deta.

• By armuser - 6:08 AM on June 15, 2013

hey Rebecca, you should link to the adobe wish/feedback form. that one should be common knowledge to users. ;) ty.

• By Sergejs Ušakovs - 9:21 AM on June 15, 2013

Actually , Acrobat Reader for iOS, that I use on my iPadMini, is the exemplary application in many aspects:
    – UI/UX is very delightful , clear , convenient and contemporary – it is in a stark contrast to e.g.desktop Acrobat Pro XI , that one of absolutely inconvenient app, that were built in 2012/2013 – it looks like from late 90-ies era , looks like the same folks continue to develop it for many years, without updating mindset – but Reader for iOS is absolutely different, probably anorher team, with a fresh and distinctive look on the matter?
    – moreover , it is one of the most convenient apps for iPad in category Office/Productivity – it use IPad screen real estate well, and cleverly designed workflow for usual things to be done here.

I am aware that more features to come..but for me the most important would be
    1. to be able to email not just one file but many(beware of selection from folders and sub-folders),
    2. to see overview of all comments and mark ups, in a side panel
    These two points are already implemented in Foxit Reader, that otherwise fails behind Acrobat Reader for iOS.

In general, I expect that ultimately all, at least mandatory features from ISO 32000, will e available , as otherwise the very essence of PDF format goal and mission will be lost.

For the second priority, it is to have easy option of jumping to “Previous view” , that is important when navigating by in-document links, and being able to generate sharing link as from files.acrobat.com on desktop.

I noticed that there is a new section in the app, that says Acrobat.com 5GB storage Free – and there is no any further glimpse what is meant here :)
    I guess with an introduction of CC for all apps on Monday, 17th of June, there will be some announcement about changes of the cloud storage too?

Since Acrobat.com is so much related to Acrobat Reader, there is an unclear point what is the maximum size of files for Acrobat.com..? I guess there was smth.like 100MB for Workspaces, but the limit was never articulated for Files? I have one file slightly above 100MB, that I was unable to upload, then I cut one page off, and it is like 99.7MB, and still it is not going through – that’s why I am curious whether the limit is 100 MB, and if so whether it is 100 Megabytes or just 100,000,000 bytes ..?

• By Kesner - 7:49 PM on June 16, 2013

Nice

• By Amanullahkhan - 10:37 AM on June 17, 2013

Pdf file not downloading my mobile phone

• By joiemikitson - 3:36 PM on June 17, 2013

Hi are you receiving an error message? What kind of phone are you using?

• By asher safdar - 10:55 PM on June 17, 2013

i waana use this for my personnal use

• By Dean Dillard - 9:36 PM on June 20, 2013

After I have opened a pdf and signed it, I hit the share button to email the document, but my emails are not being received by the recipient. What could be the problem? I have a bran new Android LG Optimus G Pro. My emails sent normally are being recieved but not when I try to share the document from Adobe Reader.

• By joiemikitson - 6:55 PM on June 21, 2013

Has the recipient checked his/her spam folder since it has been sent multiple times? You can also ask them to enable the ‘save in reader’ option so that you can save it to your desktop and send as an attachment. Let me know if that works! Thank you!

• By Dean Dillard - 1:02 AM on June 22, 2013

They and I have checked spam since I even sent one to myself to another email account. Not there. I am not sure about the “save in reader option”.

• By Dean Dillard - 2:01 AM on June 22, 2013

Aha! I finally got my emails from Adobe Reader to be received on the other end. All I had to do is reboot the phone. I had never turned the phone off since I purchased it 6 days ago; had no need to plus I wanted to see how long the battery would last in between charges. Apparently, since I had downloaded Adobe Reader from Google Play, the phone needed to be rebooted for full functionality. I appreciate the help in any event.

• By Shahrokh - 9:38 PM on June 24, 2013

• By Priscilla chiam - 4:37 AM on August 11, 2013

On my iPad, the adobe reader does not email out docs in general, though it accesses my email and sends it out. I do not receive the email/file. I have checked my email account and found that my email works well for ,ecand for other apps. So I’m sure the problem lies with the adobe reader app. I have deleted and re-downloaded the app again. Help!