Credit Suisse publishes “bulletin” magazine using Adobe tools + vjoon K4
In previous entries on this blog, I’ve highlighted traditional media publishers (like WIRED) who are using the Digital Magazine Solution to engage their readers and provide an immersive content experience. In addition to these traditional publishers, corporate publishers are also finding that digital magazines help them reach their audiences in new ways by combining the richness of print design with digital interactivity.
For example, earlier this week global financial services firm Credit Suisse launched the digital edition of its customer magazine bulletin. Published five times a year, bulletin provides highly focused information about banking, the economy, and technological trends to Credit Suisse clients.
But to find out why the firm chose to launch a digital edition, I posed the question to bulletin editor in chief Daniel Huber.
“The bulletin magazine of Credit Suisse is considered to be the first banking publication in the world,” said Huber, who notes that it was established in the late 19th century. “We felt obliged to be up front once again and push the magazine to the next technology level.”
With consumers expected increasingly to read magazines on tablets and other devices, Credit Suisse fittingly focused the first digital edition of bulletin on mobility – including the future of mobile devices.
As part of the firm’s foray into digital magazines, Credit Suisse also wanted to extend the publication’s editorial content and offer additional information to its readers. “We wanted to show additional pictures, add an interview to a story where there is just a quote, implement a video or audio file,” said Huber. “We don’t think that this app is a substitute for the print version, but a kind of encore on top of it. It offers a totally different experience.”
On the iPad, the digital edition of bulletin includes interactive features to immerse readers in the content, including:
- Interactive multi-state objects, including a touch “map” of smartphone applications
- Embedded audio that allows readers listen to an article about perpetual motion while reading the text
- Hyperlinks that display information from external Web sites to the reader, without leaving the magazine experience
- Videos, including portions of TED talks on the future of technology
The digital edition of bulletin was produced using a pre-release version of the Digital Magazine Solution, in conjunction with the Cross-Media Publishing Platform vjoon K4. A publicly available release of the Digital Magazine Solution will be available on Adobe Labs in late summer 2010.
For more information
- Download the bulletin digital edition from the Apple App Store
- Bookmark the Digital Publishing page on Adobe Labs and check later this summer to download the additional publishing technologies
- Read the vjoon/Credit Suisse press release
- Learn more about the digital magazine workflow
- Try or buy InDesign CS5