Now Shipping: Digital Publishing Suite, Professional Edition
Today, I’m excited to announce that the Professional Edition of Digital Publishing Suite is now available. Following the availability of Enterprise Edition, which shipped last March, Professional Edition is now available as a ready-to-deploy tablet publishing solution that allows publishers to quickly publish content to the iPad, BlackBerry PlayBook or a host of Android devices. Because Digital Publishing Suite integrates tightly with the new Folio Producer tools publishers can use the existing skills of their design staff to cost-efficiently produce this tablet publishing content.
The Professional Edition of Digital Publishing Suite includes services and viewer technology to get publishers up and publishing quickly on tablet devices. Publishers can create interactivity natively in InDesign CS5.0 or CS5.5 with the Folio Producer tools, then transfer those layouts through the new Folio Builder panel to the hosted services of Digital Publishing Suite. These services include:
- Folio Producer Service (newly released with the Professional Edition, also available to Enterprise customers) – after a designer uploads layouts from InDesign, the Folio Producer Service allows production staff to organize layouts via drag-and-drop in the cloud, add metadata, share content with others, and publish a final .folio file.
- Distribution Service – host final .folio files and deliver them across a variety of devices, including on iPad, Android and BlackBerry PlayBook
- eCommerce Service – enables publishers to support single-issue, multiple-issue, or subscription-based in-application purchases directly from within readers’ Content Viewer for iPad. In-app purchase for Android and PlayBook will be available by Q3 2011.
- Analytics Service – delivers insight into content performance via prebuilt dashboards, including .folio files purchased & downloaded, top content & ads and application installs
- Viewer Builder Service – allows publishers to create a publisher branded instance of Content Viewer, without restriction on number or file size of apps created.
Major publishers are excited about using Professional Edition to publish now to tablet devices. “We needed a method of creating apps that would seamlessly integrate with our current workflows here at Backpacker, and Adobe Digital Publishing Suite was a natural evolution,” said Anthony Cerretani, deputy editor, digital director, Backpacker Magazine. “Fairly quickly, we were able to take our Adobe InDesign CS5 base of knowledge and run with it, working off the strengths of our design, edit, and digital teams without skipping a beat. The intuitive nature of the tools was a huge plus for us. We didn’t want to reinvent the wheel when working with apps. Our goal was to extend the core service and mission of Backpacker into an exciting new medium. With Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, we didn’t have to outsource anything; we did it all in-house. That makes us nimble in a digital environment that evolves daily. We’ve already launched one app, www.backpacker.com/survivalschool, using the Adobe tools and we’re on track for launching a number of others, the next focusing on our annual Editors’ Choice Awards. So we’re already on the move and going digital, thanks to Adobe.”
Reader’s Digest, the world’s largest paid circulation magazine, is also using Digital Publishing Suite to engage its readers across a variety of tablet platforms. Learn more about how Reader’s Digest is using Digital Publishing Suite in the video below.
In addition, a variety of business publishers like the US Marine Corps, EMI Music, Credit Suisse and Mercedes-Benz are now using Digital Publishing Suite to engage their audiences with interactive publishing content. Read more in my earlier blog post about business publishers.
Professional Edition pricing includes a platform fee plus a service fee. Today, we’ve also updated the pricing (for Professional and Enterprise Editions) to include Gold Support now included as part of the platform fee. More information about Professional Edition, including detailed pricing, is available using the links below. As mentioned, Enterprise Edition shipped previously in March and is also available for publishers that need integration with backend publishing systems. To purchase Enterprise Edition or Professional Edition, please contact a Digital Publishing Suite partner or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- View updated features and pricing on Adobe.com
- See how Reader’s Digest is using Digital Publishing Suite at Adobe TV
- Contact sales for a consultation at email@example.com
- Follow the team on Twitter @AdobeDigitalPub