Spark DateField and ColorPicker

We also ran out of time to do a Spark-based DateField/DateChooser and ColorPicker. It is on the list for future releases. I was able to hack a DateField and ColorPicker using all Spark components. I have no idea if the version we ship in the future will look anything like this at all and I’m sure there are bugs, but it will give you an idea of the flexibility and consistency in the Spark architecture. The components on the left are the ones I created, the ones on the right are the old mx versions.
Usual caveats apply.
Run Demo
Download Source

18 Responses to Spark DateField and ColorPicker

1. Mark says:

Any idea when a Spark DateChooser might be coming?

2. JabbyPanda says:

2Mark: You can try my DateField4 extension for Flex 3 DateField component that fixes a few bugs/issues with international formatted dates and improves the usability with inline date value editing:

3. Thomas says:

I am a fan of Flex, working on Flex 3 all the time, it looks like Flex 4 is just a bad joke, I mean, its 100% the same thing than Flex 3, except there are skins, so why it takes so a long time to wrap it ?

• Alex Harui says:

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “wrap it”. The Spark components have a longer list of requirements and thus are taking a bit longer to complete than we’d like, but we’re working on it day and night.

4. Kenneth Garee says:

I pulled your source sans mx components into a Flex Mobile(4.5) application and the color selection and focus is broken. Any suggestions on how to enable color selection with your source?

Ken

• Alex Harui says:

Not sure what “broken” means. You can add the mx.swc to a mobile project to see if that’s really the issue or if it is something else.

5. Kenneth Garee says:

Added mx.swc and sparkskins.swc – that doesn’t seem to be the problem. You cannot select a color from the colors dropdown. Attempts to select a color doesn’t change anything.

6. Keith says:

Found out that if you push enter while hovering over a color, instead of clicking, it will register the change event. My code uses the alpha channel, so I also had to add that.
    ex. 0 x FF 00 00 00 opaque white

• Patty says:

I am having the same problem selectedItem is -1 when you click instade of pressing enter with cursor hovering over a color selection – have spent 2 days trying to work around it – does anyone have a solution?

7. Antonio says:

Hi, i can’t use DateField4 on FB 4.5 mobile project, i get this error:
    Description Resource Path Location Type
    ‘DateField4’ declaration must be contained within the tag, since it is not assignable to the default property’s element type ‘mx.core.IVisualElement’. DetalleTarea.mxml /Prueba1/src/views line 127 Flex Problem

I’m a newbbie flex developer, any help? Thanks

8. sydd says:

I have had some time and made your DateChooser component more complete – now one can barely tell the difference, between Spark and MX datechooser.
    You can see it at http://visualscripts.blogspot.com/2011/10/spark-datefield-and-datechooser.html
    (It has two skins, one will display a datechooser, the other a DateField)

9. Thanks for the colorpicker example, Alex.

Any tips on how to get similar performance to the Flex 3 colorpicker? The spark one shows up much slower than the mx:ColorPicker, making the UI feel sluggish.

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Alex Harui says:

I would try to create the dropdown “early” maybe on an IDLE event or via callLater after the application is up. Or even on rollOver the colorPicker.