Flex 2 and Automation – My Max Talk

Max 2006, the Adobe Conference, starts in a little over two weeks and I’ve been putting the finishing touches to my talk.

This year, I’ll be talking on Flex 2 and Automation.

Some of you may be asking what Automation is. Without pre-empting my talk, automation is the automatic control of software, be that building, running or testing.

A large part of my talk will center around automation and testing. In particular, I’ll talk about and show a demonostration of Mercury Quick Test Professional being used to control a Flex application, as a means to functional testing.

I am seriously impressed with what the Flex product team has done in their efforts to make Flex applications testable in this manner and I’d urge enterprise development teams to consider its use.

If you haven’t already signed up to go to Max, you’d better hurry up. Did I mention that it’s in Las Vegas – what better excuse do you need? Who knows, you might even bump into Elvis…

13 Responses to Flex 2 and Automation – My Max Talk

1. Mark Fuqua says:

What with the current ad campain for Vegas (‘what you do in Vegas stays in Vegas’) I didn’t even consider talking to my wife about my attending. I, for one, wish they had chosen another location.

2. Sounds good. Hope I can make it.

3. Kelly Brown says:

Do you know of any documentation or samples on-line for using QuickTest Pro with Flex? I’m evaluating QuickTest Pro for use on a Flex project, but I can’t find any Flex specific documentation. I ran a couple test and it tracks Flex as an activex control with click points and such, but I’m assuming there is a deeper level of integration than that.

4. Joel says:

In your slides from MAX you mentioned that the Mercury Quick Test Pro plugin for Flex is available in beta. I have looked everywhere for this and haven’t been able to find it. Is there a way I can get my hands on it so we can use it for a project I am working on?

5. Nathan Weber says:

I’ve been trying to get Quicktest to work with flex for the last few days.
    I believe I’ve found the plugins but I can’t figure out how to install them.
    Quicktest sees a FlashActiveX plugin but it doesn’t see the actions taken in flex. It only sees the flex properties if I set a checkpoint.
    Any help would be appreciated; I can’t get Quicktest to do anything.

6. Lachie Knox says:

I am also interested in the Quick Test add ins for automated testing with flex apps. Where can I get them? The Adobe sales/support operators know absolutely nothing about them and have sent me round the houses in my quest for info. It appears the add in is only available as part of the data services package which is way outwith my requirements and budget.
    Any help would be much appreciated

7. Arian says:

Hi McLeod!
    Do you have any idea if will be possible to work with Flex AT and Rational Functional Tester? And when?
    I´m a Rational Functional Tester user and I´d like to know if will be possible to work with Rational and Flex AT together.
    I had ask the same question to IBM, but they still haven´t answer me.
    In the presentation you said that will be release something like custom adapters. How much future?
    Thanks in advance,
    Arian

8. firestorm says:

I have installed the QTP 14day trial and the neccesarry plugin.
    Problem is the plug-in sometimes work and sometimes not.
    When I start our flex App I get the following error:
    “Adobe Flex 2 Plug-in for Mercury Quick Test Pro could not find the Flash Player within the HTML page.
    This can occur when the value of the OBJECT tag’s id attribute is missing or contains a period or dash.”
    When this happens no flex automation works from QTP.
    Now I dont believe the advice given by the pug-in error is correct, because sometimes it works fine and other times not on our flex App(same build, no changes inbetween)
    Anyone out there that can help me?

9. sarang says:

I ‘m Rational user .RFT does support for Flex control.there are 66 Flex controls and right now around 8 already supported by RFT.Please try with RFT 7.0.0.2 it can support.IBM develop on demands if any Flex contorol specific.

10. Filipe says:

Hi,
    Is there a plan to flex provide some framework like HTTPUnit or JWebUnit beyond the QTP libraries in order to develop functional tests?

11. Sujith J Salyan says:

Hi
    Our application built on flex 2 and we r planning to use QTP Pro for automating the testing ,my question is Can i get trial version of QTP (demo version) with flex plug ins. if yes can u guide me to get it ?

12. Venkat says:

I opened this URL (http://weblogs.macromedia.com/amcleod/archives/2006/10/flex_2_and_auto.cfm) in firefox and it simply dumped the source (output html + Javascript..) whereas it opens find in IE.
    In perusing the code, I found the following “comments” tag not closed properly (not sure if this is the problem) towards the bottom of the page:

13. Montali says:

I have to automate the regression testing (functional) of a web based application which is developed in share point and c#.net. Can someone please let me if QTP can be used for this. Do I need some special plug ins? and which one? Thanks