Flex Scheduling Framework – Adobe Labs Release

A couple of months ago, I announced the creation of an Open Source Calendar Component for Flex 2.

Despite saying at the time that it’d be ready when its ready, I’ve been pretty much inundated with requests asking whether its ready, when it would be ready, why it wasn’t ready or could an early version be made ready. I nearly added the word ready to my email spam filter.

However, during the intervening time, something else happened; my thinking around what ready meant actually changed – I realised that it wasn’t just a Calendar Component we were building, but a fully fledged Scheduling Framework. I also realised that saying whether it was ready or not was not really my decision.

You see, a framework like this cannot just be built with no regards to how it will be used. We’ve built some samples which we’ll be releasing alongside the framework, but it’ll be the real-life applications that will truly test-drive the APIs, the scalability and the performance of the framework.

So, I’ve decided the framework won’t be released when its ready after all; it’ll be released when its nearly ready. And nearly is within the next couple of weeks, hopefully by the time I’m presenting at Max 2006.

It has also been decided that this early-release version of the framework will be released on Adobe Labs.

So, keep an eye on my blog and I’ll let you know more soon. In the meantime, here’s another screenshot of the Scheduling Framework in use.

calendar.gif

13 Responses to Flex Scheduling Framework – Adobe Labs Release

1. jay says:

Thank you for this update. I’m just one of many ppl longing for this realease. I hope youre able to make it around MAX time or.. keep your SPAM filters ready!!!!! Haha, just kidding 😉

2. Mike says:

hmm! When will it be ready? 🙂 🙂

3. Daniel Nall says:

I’d like to thank you as well. I, too, am one of the people anxiously awaiting the release. Will this framework have printing support built-in? And, if so, will it print in both traditional Calendar layout as well as planner? Thanks again for this.

4. Mitch Aunger says:

This will be put into use almost immediately if i can help it… so awesome – and perfect timing… not only am i 2/3 way thru Flex 2 training but i have a project that can use this. THANK YOU ADOBE. (Wish I could be at MAX next week – first one i’ve missed in 4 years boohoo)

5. Awesome! I tryed tackling this a few month ago in Beta 3 with minimal success.
    Thanks!

6. Hi Daniel,
    The first release of the framework will have no special printing support built in.
    It is something we have in mind, but its definitely not an A-list feature in the first instance.
    Regards,
    Alistair

7. George says:

Im confused. Its MAY 2007 and I still dont see the Framework. Only in labs; is it ever going to be released?

8. Hi George,
    It is released – on Adobe Labs.
    This isn’t and will never be a supported component – its something that evolved from a client engagement and something we’ve donated to the community.
    Are you using the component or do you have some feedback or suggested enhancements?
    Thanks,
    Alistair

9. Anass says:

Hi Alister,
    The only release that I found on labs is the alpha one : flex_schedfw_alpha_102306 !!
    Is that the final release of this framework …
    I’m working on a project of scheduling workitem to resources, I’m using an ajax componenent from componentgo.com but the perf is not good !!! do you know if the framework will support items drag and drop in a future release ? I’m looking for flex/flash component to do like that : http://www.componentgo.com/Demo/WebScheduler/Resolutions.aspx , can you help me please ??
    Thank you.
    Anass

10. milan says:

(Is this re-posted? If so, sorry.) Drag & drop is definitely needed enhancement, requested also in discussion on labs. I think the problem is that this great idea/project is hanging there like a dead duck, and people are afraid of alphas… so everyone is waiting for final release. Maybe you could spent some time and at least rename it to final release 🙂
    Milan

11. 2 items

org.nevis.cairngorm.samples.store.dao.ConnectionManager
    //configuration.load( ConnectionManager.class.getClassLoader().getResourceAsStream(“F:/JARS/store.cfg”) );
    configuration.load(ConnectionManager.class.getClassLoader().getSystemResourceAsStream(“store.cfg”) );
    -your clearAll() call in setup releases the connection Handle??
    –why release a NULL connection handle in setup?
    org.nevis.cairngorm.samples.store.test.TestCase
    protected void setUp() throws Exception
    {
    super.setUp();
    new ProductDAO(true); //.clearAll();
    }
    BTW: Bear Gryll did a show in Cairngorm on Man Vs Wild

12. Vicky says:

How can i add a current time line to the schedule view. when you click the ‘now’ button I would like a vertical line to be drawn on the schedule view?
    how can i go about doing this, or do you have a demo of this?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Vicky

13. Rajat says:

First serious implementation of this framework can be found here at –