Cairngorm 2.2 Released

The beta version of Cairngorm 2.2 for Flex has been kicking around for some time now, and, on Friday, I eventually got around to getting the release version up on Adobe Labs. You can read the release notes here.

The main change in this release is the externalisation of dependencies on the Flex Data Services library (fds.swc) to a separate set of downloads called Cairngorm Enterprise.

The full list of changes in this release are as follows:

• Removed dependency on Flex Data Services (fds.swc) – externalised to Cairngorm Enterprise
  • Flex SDK SWCs are no longer linked into Cairngorm.swc (produces a smaller Cairngorm.swc)
  • Added support for setting remote credentials
  • Fixed bug with Web services not loading the WSDL (no need to call loadWSDL() explicitly)
  • ModelLocator interface has been deprecated. Added com.adobe.cairngorm.model.IModelLocator
  • Added deprecation metadata for compiler support
  • Added dispatch() helper method to CairngormEvent class
  • Commands are now added to base Controller with weak references
  • Added removeCommand to FrontController
  • Made commands instance variable protected in FrontController (was private)

If you want a more general overview on what Cairngorm is, and what it can do for you, visit the Cairngorm page on Adobe Labs.

I’ll give the motivation behind many of these changes in future blog posts.

13 Responses to Cairngorm 2.2 Released

1. Ben says:

Hi Alistair,
    I am loving dispatch() and the smaller SWC, but I’m having some trouble with ActionScript-based ServiceLocators. I documented the issue in this post, could you take a quick look?
    Thanks,
    Ben

2. Ben says:

Can you confirm that 2.2 does not support AS-based ServiceLocators?
    Thanks,
    Ben

3. Hi Ben,
    I can’t see any reason why AS based service locators wouldn’t work. Are you seeing something that indicates otherwise?
    Alistair

4. Ben says:

Yes, the details are in my flexcoders post referenced above, but the gist is this: I think there may be a problem related to using the accessors collection returned by describeType() in AbstractServices.as. It doesn’t seem to include items declared in AS.
    My code works in 2.1, but stopped as soon as I moved to 2.2.
    Thanks,
    Ben

5. Ben says:

Hi Alistair,
    I’m sure you’re very busy but can you please indicate whether or not the problem I’ve described is in fact a bug?
    Thanks,
    Ben

6. Hi Ben,
    Sorry, meant to get back in touch with you. I’ve replied in flexcoders.
    Alistair

7. Robert says:

When I try to add Cairngorm 2.2 (Cairngorm.swc) to my project I get the following error:
    “unable to load SWC Cairngorm.swc: multiple points”
    I don’t have any problems with Cairngorm 2.1. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Robert

8. praba says:

“unable to load SWC Cairngorm.swc: multiple points”
    I don’t have any problems with Cairngorm 2.1. Any ideas?
    could you please help me.

9. Tyler says:

Hello everyone. I’ve finally set up my website, and to kick things off with a bang I’ve created a Flex application called Cairngorm Creator, that enables developers to quickly define and create a Flex application skeleton based on the Cairngorm micro architecture. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

10. Al says:

“unable to load SWC Cairngorm.swc: multiple points”
    I don’t have any problems with Cairngorm 2.1. Any ideas?
    could you please help me.

11. prashant says:

Hiii,
    When I try to add Cairngorm 2.2.1 (Cairngorm.swc) to my project I get the following error:
    “unable to load SWC Cairngorm.swc: multiple points”
    I don’t have any problems with Cairngorm 2.1. Any ideas?
    could you please help me.
    Thanks,
    Prashant.

12. nabi says:

unable to load SWC Cairngorm.swc: multiple points
    error
    -> Adobe Flex Builder 2
    Version 2.0.1 <- Point!!!!
    Version 2.0.1 14…. <- No!

13. Nabi says:

unable to load SWC Cairngorm.swc: multiple points
    Flex Builder Version 2.0.1 !!!!
    Version 2.0.1 14…. NO!!