You may find that when producing a 2D Datamatrix barcode for ZPL printers, the barcode is incorrectly produced. This is linked to the fact that Central’s escape character for the FNC1 control character is also part of ZPL’s “special characters” set. It is possible (and necessary) to customize the escape control character for the FNC1 byte. Configuration for 2D Datamatrix barcodes for ZPL is defined in …\Adobe\Output Designer 5.x\Config\barcode2.zpl
At the end of the file, the comments state:
; 2nd white value - escape control character ; Number representing the ASCII value of ; Zebra escape character used in the ; data. Not currently supported.
Changing the value however will take effect correctly (ignore the fact that it says “unsupported”). To do this:
In the barcode2.zpl file, edit the BarcodeWhite line appropriately of the 2D Datamatrix barcode section at the end of the file, above the comments, and save. For example, to use the dollar sign “$” as an escape character, edit as follows:
BarcodeWhite 6 36 1 1 1
Where 36 is the ASCII value for the dollar sign character. It is advised to remain with 7-bit ASCII values
- Open your form design in Output Designer
- go to menu File > Presentment Targets
- Select the presentment target (be sure it is highlighted)
- Click on the Font Setup button under the list of targets
- Make sure the correct fonts are selected – in this case, Barcode2 should be selected (if afterwards this does not work, try selecting all fonts – this will cause a bigger MDF though) Click OK to cause the changes in the barcode2.zpl file to take effec
- Re-compile the form to MDF; use this new MDF with your data.
2D Datamatrix barcodes should now come out fine.