Adobe AIR for Linux Beta is out!

We just released the beta version of Adobe AIR for Linux on Adobe Labs!
This Labs release of AIR has all features implemented for Linux, except support for DRM and badge installations. Major new features include support for system tray icons, keyboard shortcuts, localization, internationalized input (IME support), filetype registration, SWF and PDF in HTML, multi-monitor support, fullscreen mode, encrypted local storage, support for V4L2 cameras and printing.
The list of supported distributions has also been updated to:
1. Ubuntu 7.10
2. Fedora 8
3. OpenSuSE 10.3
Any AIR application that works on Windows/Mac AIR release version 1.1 should ideally work on Linux too, except if it uses DRM features. Let us know if you face any issues.
Release notes provide more details about system requirements, installation instructions and any known issues.
Go get some fresh AIR and let us know how it works out for you!
airlinux_fma_557x232.jpg

21 Responses to Adobe AIR for Linux Beta is out!

1. Vadim P. says:

Oh, awesome! 64bit installed fine now.
    Sort of unrelated request, but could you guys release the theme you’re using for the installer? The previous one and this one? They look so nice!

2. @Vadim P.
    The installer UI is Flash based and is not a desktop theme. Good to know the beta works for you on a 64-bit system!

3. Vadim P. says:

Okay, I ran into a bit of an issue… I was confused over why there isn’t a “download” button on the air application pages. Turns out it’s a flash one, that breaks on ndiswrapper (acrobat.com doesn’t work for me either. grey screen. but youtube and 95% of other flash apps work okay).
    This flash button does AIR detection and then gives the link I guess, but when broken, it looks like this: http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/bild/3335/screenshot_04_dfYuNm.png
    And it breaks everytime asap as I go onto a page (I see something appear and then a grey box).
    Do you think you can provide a direct download link…?

4. Michele says:

I really wonder why DRM are not implemented… Patents problems? Or just DRM are not welcome by Linux users?

5. Carl says:

Any idea when Ubuntu 8.04 might be supported?

6. @Carl
    Though Ubuntu 8.04 isn’t in the officially supported list, it does satisfy all dependencies of AIR. Things should run just fine on it (though there might be some bugs specific to that distro). In fact, the screenshot above is from Ubuntu 8.04 🙂

7. @Vadim
    You’re right – the install button/screenshot is a Flash one. This feature (badge installation) doesn’t currently work – it will, after Flash Player 10 releases. We’ll try to provide a direct download link. Till then, you can find the path of the AIR application in the HTML source of the download page on Adobe AIR Marketplace, by searching for “.air”.

8. @Michele
    DRM will be implemented before the final release. Whether or not DRM is welcome by Linux users, we’re eager to know.

9. Vadim P. says:

OK, I now tried installing a real AIR app (the google analytics).
    Some tips for you,
    – look at this, to make the gksudo message nicer. Atm it says “Application “/opt/whatever” wants your permission”, which doesn’t look very polished!
    – no! not my desktop! please :(. I’ve become spoiled by the nice Applications menu, it makes things so much neater and manageable. Could adobe air programs go in there, and not on my desktop? if a user wants it on their desktop, they can just “drag it out”, but not many do that as the neatly-organized applications menu works great.

10. @Vadim P.
    – Thanks – we’ll try to polish the gksudo message before the final release.
    – The application installer has a checkbox “Add application icon to my desktop”. You can uncheck it to not have the desktop shortcut created.

11. Vadim P. says:

Oops! Indeed… I missed that option. My apologies.
    But could you please work on categorizing applications a bit more, instead of stuffing them all into “other”? 🙂
    I found the .desktop specification here if that can help you. Though I think it would be easier to just look at some of the existing ones for examples.
    I’m certainly impressed with AIR though – Flash beat Java in applets, and now it’s coming over to the desktop.

12. Vasko Z. says:

I’ve tried to get Air Linux Beta on 2 different linux distros, and here are my unsuccessful results.
    1) Ubuntu 64-bit
    getting ELF class error because Adobe Air seems to be compiled with
    32-bit, but is trying to use my machine’s 64-bit libraries.
    2) Redhat WS 4
    Error loading the runtime (/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version
    `CXXABI_1.3.1′ not found (required by /tmp/air.UiOa2T/build/opt/Adobe
    AIR/Versions/1.0/libCore.so))

13. Vadim P. says:

Okay, last “tip” for today. I found out that air programs install in apt too – awesome! But could they please be given sane names? Something like “air-” would work. So for example, Adobe Media Player’s package would be “air-adobe-media-player”.
    Also! I found out how can you make your application appear in Applications – Add/Remove (I got a hold of it’s author :)). I documented the process here. Would it be possible to add that, so AIR applications can be removed (and installed, if you get a repository later on) from Add/Remove?
    Thanks!

14. Faryshta says:

Thanks.
    This is a great work, is on beta so I wont make any complain and will try to send all the bug info by the apropiated media.
    Again, THANKS.

15. Steve Morris says:

I am having problems with an air program Market Samurai the company keep telling me its to do with a problem with the encrypted store not working properly under Linux , and air fails to read from or write to it. any news as to when these problems will be sorted ?

16. @Vasko
    64-bit systems are currently not supported. However, if you have 32-bit versions of all dependencies, AIR should run fine.
    RHEL WS4 is not supported – it does not satisfy the minumum set of dependencies.

17. @Vadim
    We’re looking at adding an entry under Add/Remove (for Ubuntu systems) for the next release. The issue with ‘sane’ names is that they are not unique (different publishers could have applications with the same name/id) and there’s no other unique internal identifier in native package management systems.

18. @Steve
    We checked the app at our end and the encrypted store worked fine for us in the Beta build (as well as in the latest internal build). You could try clearing out $HOME/.appdata folder to make sure that there’s no mismatch between Alpha and Beta builds if the Alpha was ever installed on the system. I’d encourage you to file a bug report at http://www.adobe.com/go/wish, esp. mentioning the distribution you’re using (Also, do you get a dialog asking you for a password to open your keyring/kwallet?)
    We could see the application being able to read from and write to the encrypted store on both GNOME and KDE based systems.

19. steve says:

I’m using Ubuntu 8.04 and no it does not ask for a password the problem lies with the saving of registration details after activation of the product this is the message I received off of tech support
    In fact, the issue is with the Linux beta of Adobe AIR: Market Samurai uses a part of AIR called the “encrypted local store” to save registration details, so that they are secure. We’ve discovered, unfortunately, that the Linux beta of Adobe AIR often fails to read from or write to the encrypted local store, which means the registration details are not saved.

20. @Steve
    1. gnome-keyring might not be accessible. You could launch gnome-keyring-manager and see if you can access the keyrings. We’ve seen systems where the manager itself is not able to access keyrings.
    If this is the case, you can remove previous keyrings (mv ~/.gnome2/keyrings ~/.gnome2/keyrings_old). Then launch keyring-manager and create a keyring called “default”, and try to run the air application.
    2. The keyring daemon process may be defunct.
    If this is the case, kill any running keying daemons. Start a new daemon (gnome-keyring-daemon). When this command is executed two variables get set (GNOME_KEYRING_PID and GNOME_KEYRING_SCOKET). You’ll need to export those variables to the current session and then launch the AIR application.

21. Nick says:

I was able to install it fine, but nothing seems to be working. If I try to install a program using adobe air, nothing happens.