The Adobe AIR 2 runtime is now publicly available for download (Windows, Mac and Linux) at http://get.adobe.com/air.
In addition to enabling AIR applications to consume (up to 30%) less memory and perform better, this release packs a large number of features – some of the major ones are:
- Native Process API
- Open documents with the user’s default application
- Microphone data access
- Mass storage device detection
- Updated, faster WebKit with enhanced support for HTML5 and CSS3
- Multi-touch and gestures
- TLS/SSL sockets
- Global error handler
- New networking support including UDP and server sockets
- Screen reader support
- Reduced CPU usage on idle
- .rpm and .deb installer packages for the runtime on Linux
- Native installers for applications (.exe, .dmg, .rpm, .deb)
For more details, please see the release notes and Arno’s blog post at blogs.adobe.com/air.
The AIR 2 SDK is expected to be available early next week (06/15).
As always, please let us know if you run into bugs or have feature requests.