Audition 3 on a Mac??

We love our Macs, but a few of us are not loving that Audition still runs only on Windows. However, with an Intel-based Mac running Leopard and a copy of 32-bit releases of Windows XP or Windows Vista, Boot Camp could be the answer for you. In fact, our team has found that running Audition 3 in Boot Camp is no different than running it in Windows on a laptop or desktop with good hardware specs (For Audition system requirements, please go to: http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/systemreqs/.)

When I want to record multiple tracks of audio with full effects and monitoring, I run Audition using Boot Camp. Audition works smoothly on an Intel Mac because Boot Camp runs Windows natively, just as any PC would. However, when all I want is to make some minor edits, restore some noisy files or perform some batch conversions, I run Audition from OS X using virtualization software from VMWare or Parallels. Virtualization has opened the door to all sorts of new possibilities for our application library making the OS less important as systems get more powerful, CPUs get more cores and memory gets cheaper. Both Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion allow you to run Windows sessions without logging out of OS X (you can even use them with a Boot Camp installed partition). And since the VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop hardware configuration is customizable, you can adjust the amount of RAM available, which USB or Firewire devices it has access to or several other parameters.

So basically, if you plan to use Audition on an Intel-based Mac for one-track recording, light multitrack mixing, or editing and restoration, both Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion will do the job. If you want to record and mix multiple audio tracks, you should run Audition using Boot Camp.

Durin Gleaves

78 Responses to Audition 3 on a Mac??

1. Hi there Durin,Thanks for the mention of VMware Fusion as a great way to run any Windows application on a Mac!Quick point of clarification: None of the virtualization products on the market right now support firewire peripherals passing through to the guest OS.That is, while you can use VMware Fusion to run a virtual machine whose file package lives on an external firewire drive, the guest operating system for the virtual machine, in this case, Windows, will not be able to see the firewire peripheral.So if you’re running Audition 3 in a Windows XP virtual machine, for example, that Windows XP VM won’t be able to read/write to firewire hard drive for example.Hope that helps, and if you have any questions about VMawre Fusion technical details, our user forums are a great place for those: http://www.vmware.com/go/fusionforums.~PeteVMware Fusion Product Marketing

2. Jean Pierre says:

Do you know that Win XP run really better and faster on a Mac Pro with Boot Camp than a conventionnal PC ?

3. Durin says:

Thanks, Pete. That is an important point to note, and for users with Firewire gear, starting up Windows via Bootcamp will be the best solution.It’s also important to note that Microsoft’s Virtual PC does not support USB devices, so it’s probably not the best choice for many of our needs.Durin

4. Louise Ping says:

The experience the team has had regarding the speed of running Windows via Boot Camp has been positive. It pretty much depends on the hardware specs of your Mac.

5. Joseph Carrello says:

Well gentlemen,it seems as if either you were both terribly lucky, or I am just terribly unlucky. After installing XP via bootcamp, I must say I have been TERRIBLY disappointed in the performance of Adobe Audition. It doesn’t matter if I’m using the Audition Windows sound driver or my ASIO, it’s extremely choppy and distorted at random.I bought this brand new Macbook Pro with the new 2.4GHz Penryn & 4GB DDR2 Ram (I know that only 3GB is accessible in Windows) with high hopes..needless to say I’m quite saddened that I can’t use my favorite software.:(Joey

6. Joseph Carrello says:

7. Durin says:

Hi Joey,I just quickly verified on one of the Macbook Pro’s in the office that playback wasn’t choppy or distorted, so maybe we can investigate a bit and see what’s going on. Once booted into Windows, Audition should behave as if it was running on a really nice system – even with the default drivers and settings.Let’s concentrate first on the default Audition Windows Sound driver and the built-in audio card. If you open Audition, switch to Edit View, select Edit > Audio Hardware Preferences, make sure “Audition Windows Sound” is selected as the driver, and open the control panel dialog. It should display “Sigmatel Audio” as the default audio device. Make certain the buffer size is set to 2048 and click OK a few times. Open a file and press play and see if audio is still distorted or choppy.If so, then we need to diagnose further before trying to look into ASIO drivers and whatnot. If you could send an e-mail to audbugs@adobe.com and let me know your results, we can continue to troubleshoot and get this running as expected.Thanks,Durin

8. Marnie says:

Joey,I’m with you there. When I bought my Mac awhile back, I was so excited to get Bootcamp so I could use Audition with it. It’s so choppy… and I’m so disappointed.Marnie

9. Michael B says:

“We love our Macs, but a few of us are not loving that Audition still runs only on Windows. However, with an Intel-based Mac running Leopard and a copy of 32-bit releases of Windows XP or Windows Vista, Boot Camp could be the answer for you. In fact, our team has found that running Audition 3 in Boot Camp is no different than running it in Windows on a laptop or desktop with good hardware specs…”This is too true. The one improvement over running AA at completely native speeds in bootcamp that I think is foremost in many users’ minds is, not having to use bootcamp or deal with any windows operating system. The reason I left windows, and I suspect this is true of many among us, is that I never want to have to use it again.Dual-booting or VM’ing is NOT an acceptable mode of operations in this case.I appreciate that it is difficult to port AA from its windows trench to the Mac OS, and that alone is a reasonable reason why Adobe does not want to take the time and spend the money necessary to do such a thing, but it is insulting to suggest that wasting 10 Gigabytes on a Windows partition and booting back and forth between what one clearly sees as a superior versus inferior system experience, is “no different” from running it natively in OS X.I know the quoted text above is out of context and that the full quote reads: “no different than running it in Windows….” But that is the key point isn’t it? Mac users do not want to use windows. It is frustrating and addlepated, antiquated and clunky.Just as it is reasonable for Adobe to withhold the port of this program, it is completely reasonable for me to continue to complain about it. Come on Adobe! I have money in my pocket that I am waiting to give to you.It is in the best interest of Apple-lovers and -haters alike to have this port competed: for the former it allows them REAL access to the most advanced and powerful DAW available, and for the latter it would show that formerly exclusively PC program can kick the pants out of a recently exclusively Mac one (i.e. the ludicrously misnamed “Logic Pro”).I am left only with text-based-begging… please please please please please … PLEASE make it so.

10. Roger says:

At my University we’ll NOT be upgrading to VistaME but are migrating everyone to OS/X.Respectfully Adobe…it’s 2008, please port Audition to Mac!

11. Charlott L says:

Hi,I personally like running Audition on Fusion for the Mac. I have this on my intel iMac and it runs beautifully. It is also a kick to have it run simultaneously with the Mac programs. I can have my XP up and running in one large window and simply move back and forth between xp pro and mac osx (no rebooting required). Fusion also accesses my usb jumpdrives and my CD/DVD’s.

12. James L says:

Hello,Please port Audition to the mac, I have a firewire audio interface which I’d like to record my mixes from. Cash waiting!!James.

13. Elis Jay says:

yes Michael B. you’re damn right! i have a macbook and is (at least) annoying that i have windows on my mac JUST for using Audition! and by the way Audacity SUCKS!Durin you can understand what Im saying, and i think its time that you guys have to addmit that there are too many voices demanding Audition for Mac! you cant just ignore us! and please dont underestimate this matter anymore, I mean you propably think its funny using windows on a Mac! well its NOT for godsakes!thanx for your time!

14. Christopher Hudson says:

I Agree with many of the comments above. I went from a PC to a Mac in the hopes I would NEVER have to deal with Microsoft EVER again. I have office 2008 for mac and wouldn’t you know it is the only program that doesn’t run flawlessly on my Mac. Every time my friend tried to install Windows his Mac, Windows caused major issues. He took it off and it all ran smoothly. i am noticing a trend. Mac good, Microsoft bad, no matter what platform your on!! Do us all a favor, Bring Audition to Mac. I love editing with it and the only thing I hated was that windows seemed to limit the ease of use and effectiveness of the program.

15. Terry Phillips= says:

Ok ok ok…Enough with the Fanboi crud. If you love your Mac/Linux/Windows great.It’s becoming like politics and the choice/pro-life debates… you know, the people who yell (or type) the loudest… are the most brainwashed, insecure, minority that makes everyone else (even if they are on their side) cringe.I own both.Neither is universaly more stable…Each has it’s advantages.Request software to be ported on your OS of choice, but Grow up… no side is “Bad” or “Evil”…(Insert eye roll here)

16. i had forgotten about that post…hahawell after alot of research i ended up installing vista via bootcamp….and as long as you disable the wifi card/graphics card…and kbdmgr, the choppiness is gone and the program works pretty good.still pretty lame adobe wont bring it to mac though.-joey

17. Dan says:

Hello,I have bought three Mac books for the Wife and Daughters. First ever. After running them for almost a year I am sold on them. I will keep PC’s in my office and Mac’s for the house. Now when the new MAC book pro comes out I will be running Audition on it. I hope to have a Mac based version of it. If you can do this for me Adobe I will give you Free front seat tickets to the Grass Valley BlueGrass festival and a signed copy of our new CD.Best Regards, Dan

18. Gary Shepherd says:

Less than a month ago I switched…to MAC that is. I have been a PC user since the early 90′s. I have four dedicated PCs on my network and attach two more laptops when necessary.I just bought a MAC Pro because of what I’ve heard about it being robust, ease of use, etc. So far I am enjoying the experience. And the learning curve is not as steep as I first feared.I am however a bit disappointed that I cannot get AA 3.0 for MAC. I just purchased a cross platform upgrade to Production Premium CS4 and was told by the sales rep that Soundbooth would be easier to use. I downloaded the trial and do not have a clue as to where to begin.I have used Audition since it was Cool Edit Pro. So I am accustomed to moving up with the changes. I don’t relish the thought of having to first of all purchase AA 3.0 as a separate upgrade and then running it in windows.I sure wish Adobe would listen to its longtime customers….like me and others…and make AA 3.0 available for MAC. I am still learning so I suppose I will just need to bite the bullet and make the adjustment:(

19. Russ says:

I really could use a copy of this for my Mac.I understand the politics may be a bid dodgy….So, is Audition ever going to be available for OS X?Thanks,Russ

20. Jason M Wagner says:

I will just be adding my name to the list here. Switched to a Mac and would like AA 3.0 for OS X. I don’t want to have to keep my old HP. I’d rather not have to install Windows on my pretty new Mac either.

21. Bryan Jones says:

I have the newest Macbook pro with a 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB Ram. Im running my Virtual PC with Vista buisness trying to get Adobe Audition just to play tracks and I cant seem to get it to work?It doesnt want to playback; it warns that maybe my card doesnt support the necessary playback. I get the following error:Device: Speakers (Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373)Errorcode: FFA-8-000d [888900f]info: Playback failed. The audio system does not seem to respond. Maybe card does not support full duplex mode.Any ideas as to what im doing wrong?

22. Lawson says:

Hi Bryan,Have you tried running this using VMWare Fusion or Parallels? We haven’t tested this on Virtual PC. My understanding is Virtual PC is not supported on Intel-based Macs.You could also trying using Boot Camp on Leopard instead.Regards,Lawson

23. JP says:

I’m NOT installing Windows on my new Macbook. I work at a radio station and I wanted to do some editing on my own and I’m using a Mac for Final Cut. Please have a version of Audition for Mac. This is redonkulous.

24. Smash says:

I am returning to windows because of this issue.

25. Scott Boggs says:

I was ready to buy Audition until I learned that it doesn’t run on OS. While I understand that Adobe doesn’t want to pay for cross platform development of a specialized product, it strikes me as bad form for a company that positions itself as supporting creative types. Some folks don’t want to buy or install Windows–and touting workarounds, i.e. “run it using Bootcamp”, is offering patches, not solutions.

26. Robb says:

Just adding my 2 cents. I just bought the latest and greatest Macbook pro and have been a long time cool edit/audition user. my opinion: come on already Adobe, grow a brain and give us a Mac version of audition. theres money to be made !!!

27. Leon says:

I’d just like to say I appreciate Adobe Audition 3.0 only being on Windows.It’s obvious all the development has gone into making this the best program and it just happened to be via windows because that’s how it started out.It would take a significant amount of development in an area that isn’t focused on the program itself but on porting it to a different os.It’s just a shame that Windows is so virus and especially spyware/malware prone, because I need to use internet on my daw because i download new sounds from the net all the time.I still commend Adobe (and cool edit) for creating this amazing program and continuing to develop it, better multi-band compressor then pro-tools plugins and wonderful editing tools.I haven’t recorded/arranged on it yet though, but plan to.I don’t mind Windows other then the internet threats and occasional compatability issues.

28. Balazs Varga says:

Well well… It’s almost July and no sign of Audition for Mac. I’ve got a mac and eagerly wait for a native version of Audition. We use Audition 3.0 at uni is very very impressive! But it’s on windows…

29. kameko says:

lol @ macs touting to be the ‘best’ for creative types, and yet doesn’t even have arguably the best audio sofware aka adobe audition available for it.

30. Valdemar says:

Hi guys, I recently bought me a Mac, under the belief there would be good audio editing software since I have been a long time user of Cool Edit/Audition, and now I have felt disappointed when I found out there was no way to make run my windows version using the virtual machines software.So I have left using my mac because of this and turned back to my Windows machine.BTW, did you know that OpenPC platforms under Windows run a “hackintosh” version of Leopard faster than macs itselves?Just my 2 cents.

31. R o n says:

PLEASE make AA available for Mac. It’s eevn better than Protools, the ‘stanadard’ for most profesional audio editors. I will never understand why Protools requires real time ‘bouncing’ of my audiomix. It’s a waste of time.

32. Yoyo says:

Seriously adobe! Create a mac version!! You know this software is the best one out there. That’s why you bought it right?!! Release a mac version and you will take over the mac market too. This program is the shit! Much better than pro tools, cake walk or any other app!Please have a mac version ready for CS5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. Nike says:

….. So is it done yet?? AA available in CS5 4 Mac?What are we doing today Adobe? Same thing we try every day… try to takeover the world!!Make it happen… please

34. Frodo says:

Please please please…port auditon on mac. A lot of people need this.I will be the first to buy it!Pleaseeeeeeeee do it!

35. Zdenek Cermak says:

I will be a second to buy it!!!!What’s going on? It’s so hard to understand, that Mac is better computer than PC and lot of people NEED AUDITION ON MAC, ‘COS IT’S THE BEST RECORDING PROGRAM ON PERSONAL COMPUTER???

36. Sage Kiwi says:

Do you need to hear it again? Not having Audition on my Mac is COSTING me ‘cos I have to hire facilities to use it. It’s been a year and a half since the first request – how’s it coming? Love Audition. Love my Mac. Don’t wanna have to buy another computer to run it (mind you my Sony software would at last be useful if I did.. why do they only make Sonic Stage for Windows??}.So has anyone had any luck finding other audio edit software similar? I downloaded Audacity but seems there’s bits missing. Like anything but split, cut & paste!

37. Ezra says:

Does anyone at Adobe even read this blog? Id like to see a corporate response to this obvious demand!!~Z

38. Lawson Hancock says:

Hi Erza,I appreciate the feedback from you and all the other folks who have made this request. And while I can’t comment on future release plans for Audition, I can tell you that we regularly monitor this blog, user forums, etc. for feedback as part of our release planning.Regards,Lawson

39. Steve says:

Same. Love Audition. Want it for my Mac.

40. Jamus says:

I agree with Ezra and many others. There is a large Apple audience that is praying to see Adobe Audition ported to the mac. If you could again pass this along to the higher ups so that they may realize this then that would greatly appreciated.Regards,Jamus

41. Alex says:

I would pay big money to have audition for Mac. Adobe has long been good to the Mac community, but this omission is a major problem. PLEASE HELP US OUT.Audition for Mac. 2010.

42. Frank says:

A D O B EeePort Audition to MAC

43. Frank says:

An official statement from ADOBE is here required…rather then keeping silent on this issue!Is their a plan to port Audition on Mac?Or Audition is sentenced… and Soundbooth is the way forward?I cannot understand how Adobe compare Sundbooth to Audition? It is like comparing nothing to everything!Frank

44. Lawson Hancock says:

Hi Frank,Audition and Soundbooth are for different users. Audition remains our flagship audio production tool designed for audio pros. Soundbooth is for creative pros that don’t have an audio background that need to clean-up audio for their video or Flash projects. And while there is some overlap in the functionality between the two products, the user experience is very different because of the different audio editing needs of these two distinct audiences. So comparing them is a bit of an “apples vs. oranges” conversation, but to be clear Soundbooth is not intended to be a replacement for Audition.While I can’t comment on the product roadmap for Audition, a Mac version continues to be one of our top requests. However, unlike Soundbooth which was built from the ground up as a cross-platform application, Audition has a very long history as a Windows application dating back to its origins as Cool Edit in the early ‘90s which makes porting it to the Mac a challenge.Regards,Lawson

45. travis says:

I bought Audition last year for my PC after using Cool Edit Pro for years. LOVED IT. I bought a Macbook Pro last week. LOVING ITI am returning my first-ever macbook pro because I need Audition. That’s actually why I bought a new computer- so I could run it smoothly, as I am embarking on a new music project. And I need to use an external audio interface (which connects via USB). Apparently running Audition via Bootcamp/Windows means I can’t use USB inputs?I can’t believe I have to return my flawless macbook pro and exchange it for a piece of plastic junk in order to use a flawless adobe program.Am I missing something? please help.confused,Travis

46. Durin says:

Windows shouldn’t have any problem accessing USB devices under Bootcamp – for all intents and purposes, you are just running Windows on a very well-equipped laptop. Make sure you’ve installed the Bootcamp drivers from Apple, and you’ll probably need to install the drivers offered from the audio device manufacturer, but there’s certainly no limitation I’m aware of. Even Firewire devices should work flawlessly under Bootcamp.Now there ARE some limitations when using VMWare or Parallels, both of which are virtualized Windows environments running within OS X. But even here, USB devices shouldn’t completely fail though performance may not be as wonderful as it could be.Can you describe the problem you’re experiencing and what devices you’re having trouble with? Feel free to e-mail me at audbugs@adobe.com if you’d like to discuss this via e-mail.DurinAdobe Audition

47. Filip says:

I work for AV dept. at my school and I want to switch to macs because I’m a mac guy, but we use Audition and the fact that there’s no Mac version of Audition is really a BIG concern because I can’t imagine working w/out Audition…

48. Dale says:

I’ve been using Audition since it was Cool Edit v0.7. That’s a long time. I know the programme backwards. No other programme comes close. I have recently switched to a Mac and have Production Premium CS4 – which is excellent, thank you Adobe for brilliant products. Everything is rosey. Except for the lack of Audition.I don’t understand why you can’t comment on the ‘roadmap’ for the product? Surely you know? Surely we, as the loyal customers we are, deserve to know?Irregular updates and no news. We are the people who use your products – yet we’re left feeling like you don’t care about the programme or our needs. How is this good?I remember requesting features from David (Johnston – I think), the chap who made the original Cool Edit way back in the early nineties and he would actually respond and talk to us. I don’t understand why is it so difficult for an organisation like Adobe to do the same?

49. Mike O says:

For the love of Adobe, please port audition to the mac!!!!

50. Marc D! says:

I work for a radio station and we are an all Mac shop. Right down to our automation software… it is ALL run on Macs. It put us in a crunch upon finding out that Adobe Audition still does not have a version for Mac. This has got to happen sooner or later (hopefully sooner… Adobe????)PLEASE develop a Mac version so we can do away with the one band-aid we have in an otherwise clean setup!

51. Elizabeth says:

I would like express the need of a MAC version of Audition 3. I am a musician and having a home studio. The reason I keep my slow Laptop PC for mobile recording is because I need to use Audition.I also have a iMAC and Macbook and it would be great if I can just do all the work on Mac.Please!

52. Parker says:

That would be wonderful, but would, I’m sure, require significant development resources.My question is: Will audition 3 run on a full size new (Intel based) Mac running windows, any version ? I suspect it would insofar as file handling is concerned, but I need to know about the sound. Can I configure the “sound card ” etc portion of Audition to run on a new Mac running any version of Windows ?

53. Durin says:

Hi Parker,While this article was written over a year ago, most of it is still quite accurate. The latest Mac systems are amazingly powerful computers and run Windows as well as any system from other manufacturers. Bootcamp really does make it simple to run a native Windows environment on your Mac when necessary.Windows XP and Vista have been well-tested under Bootcamp, and Audition runs great on the native hardware using the Bootcamp drivers. I can happily recommend Audition on any Intel Mac on these platforms.Windows 7 is a slightly different matter. Since you have new systems, it should work great once Apple finishes their support. (They’ve announced Windows 7 Bootcamp support by the end of the year according to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920 ) However, they note that several original Intel Macs will not support Windows 7. These include the 17 and 20 inch iMac’s from 2006, the 15 and 17 inch MacBook Pro’s from 2006, and the Dual Core Xeon 2.66 and 3.0 GHz Mac Pro from Mid-2006.

54. Parker says:

I took the plunge mortgaged the house and got a Mac Pro – LOVE IT !Have successfully installed ALL PC applications EXCEPT AA 3.0 under BOOT CAMP. It installed fine, but I’m having trouble getting multi -tracking/overdubbing to work.In windows you select your input source with the Windows Recording Mixer, and I would normally use Line-In. In this configuration, you heard previously recorded channels and could add the next with no problem.The Mac uses “RealTec HD” and as far as I have been able to determine, the only portion of the Windows recording mixer you can access is the line-in volume. I have been unable to obtain options such as ASIO.The bottom line is that I can’t get input from line input into AA 3.0, and the input that does get to the record channel is output from previously recorded channels. It is as if you selected “What You Hear” in the Windows recording mixer.There is an application “ReWire” which might help, but it doesn’t recognize AA 3.0.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

55. Durin says:

Hi Parker,You don’t mention whether you are running Windows XP or Vista under Bootcamp, and the instructions for configuring the default input for each are slightly different.WINDOWS XP:Right click on the speaker icon in your system tray and choose “Open Volume Control.” Then click Options > Properties in the menu and select “Recording.” Make sure that it displays “Line In” as checked and click OK. The application should update to display the enabled inputs and you should be able to select Line In as your default Windows input port. Recording should then function as expected in Audition.WINDOWS VISTA:Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and select “Recording Devices.” Make sure the Line In port is set as the default input port.This should resolve the issues you’ve described. If not, feel free to send an e-mail to audbugs@adobe.com and we can continue troubleshooting over e-mail.Thanks!Durin

56. eric says:

I’ve been using Audition since the era of Cool Edit. Needless to say the positive aspects of it. I’ve recently bought my first mac and I’ve tried lots of demos of different applications. The ones that could fulfill the features that there were in Audition are considerably more expensive, and the cheaper ones are far away to do that. Definetely, Soundbooth can not do the job.As this has been the longest waiting for the new release of Audition, I would like to express my wish/necessity of a Mac version; hoping it will be released in the following months.Is Adobe still reading this blog?

57. Lawson Hancock says:

Hi Eric,Yes we do still read this blog and your feedback is appreciated as the team is currently working on the next version of Audition.What specific features of Audition are you looking for on the Mac?Regards,Lawson

58. Eric says:

First of all, something as simple as a reverse function, which is not in Soundbooth. In the multi-track, the ability to draw envelopes not only for amplitude but also (very important) for panning. To be able to download audio units and/or vst plug-ins as well as vst instruments. Some built-in effects, like the doppler effect and wave generators, which are not available in Soundbooth. And, not really indispensable, but important as well, to be able to use MIDI files in the multi-track. All of these are features that the PC version already has, and would be enough for a mac version.Apart from that, as new features (take this as my letter for Santa Claus), I would like built-in effects to do modulation of frequency between two different audio files (not only with sinusoids), granular synthesis, and cross-synthesis, and probably a suite, as the ones you have for web designing, video, etc., but exclusively for audio purposes, which can include applications for mastering, score edition, and so on.Thanks a lot for your response.

59. john says:

Purely as a cosmetic exercise; when burning CD’s, display track number increments on screen during the process.

60. Luca Marcossi says:

I’ve personally found the analogic stretch plug-in extremely useful (in the time and pitch plug-in), especially during intense editing sessions. And of course the way in which Audition uses the destructive editing, which is so fundamental to me that when I switched to Mac (4 years ago) I wasn’t able to change to Logic or Digital Performer due to these two functions. So in the end I resigned to go back to Windows (on boot camp) just for that! Somebody just seemed to have forgotten how wonderful that tool is for discovering new interesting sounds!

61. chuck says:

I also very happily made the switch from PC to Mac a year and a half ago. Audition remains my all-time favorite program on any platform, and the only reason I bought Windows XP for my new Mac was to run it. The problem is that with this set-up, I can no longer use it to record, because my MOTU audio interface will not recognize the Firewire ports through Bootcamp (they’ve told me flat out that such a setup is not supported).So I’m faced with recording on the Mac side, and editing and mixing with Audition on the PC side. Not a very elegant or fun workflow.I would love to see Audition on the Mac, so I could lose Windows (which I’ve come to detest) and record and edit using Snow Leopard.

62. Jay Johnson says:

Okay I think this debate is a valid one. But was trained on CoolEdit which eventually became Audition.I was not frightened like many others I was ecstatic because I had been an avid Photoshop user and currently own both CS4 Video Suite and Graphic Design Suite (no that’s not the names I’m just distinguishing between them).I recently (in the last year) switched all of my home PCs to an iMac, Macbook Pro and a Mac mini (for the wife) and all are a dream come true.When I got the CS4 bundle, my first reaction was “Oh! Soundtrack Pro is basically like Audition…”I was wrong. I am not going to bash Soundtrack but truthfully it lacks the functionality that Audition has. Sure it integrates well with Premiere but truthfully I’d rather use the “short cuts” and my own presets from Audition.As a result I have to run a crappy VMware Fusion Windows XP which I hate and use only for Audition. I have over twenty years of experience in the production business. I have produced demos for up and coming singers and bands and podcasts and video audio.The agency I work for as my day job has ProTools but when the owner heard a radio spot I produced using Audition he was floored he said it was head and shoulders better quality. The reason – my level of proficiency with Audition.I am not alone.I have worked with several hundred radio professionals who live by it. Many of which still use CoolEdit because they feared Adobe would ruin their software. You didn’t. Audition became better and better and if it comes to Mac, I know easily over 200 consumers who would eat it up without question.I am one of them.I can’t wait for the MAC version.

63. TommyL says:

Dear Adobe Folks,Your loyal and faithful clientele have spoken. WE WANT AUDITION FOR MAC OSX. As far as business decisions go, it’s a no-brainer. You will have thousands upon thousands of people who make the purchase immediately. That means money in your pocket, a stronghold on the market, a better reputation, much more name brand exposure, and last but not least, customer satisfaction. A win-win situation. Currently, you are excluding an enormous section of consumers by making it impossible (or very difficult) to use the program. I am amazed that this transition has not already occured, but I suppose it’s better late than never. Any good company has several basic needs – profits, longevity, adaptability, and happy customers. And as for Mac users – we just want our favorite program. Don’t leave us stranded… Deliver.Patiently Waiting,Tommy Long

64. Chris says:

I just can plead for the same thing. We are a local radio station running a PC-Domain-Network with a Linux-Server and Mac-Clients at the editing suites and in the studios. The PCs all have Audition 3 and we are very content with using it, we also train new people on it. Not being able to use the same software on the Macs puts a huge dent in our workflow.At this point, we are so frustrated about this situation and the way Adobe deals with the complaints about it, that we are thinking about switching to a cross-platform audio editor and certainly it won’t be Adobe Software this time.I also know, that especially in the radio-world we are not at all alone in our frustration.So I would be eternally grateful, if Adobe just got their heads out of whereever they are right now and at least make a definitive statement about if and when there will be a native version of Audition for OSX!Thanks, Chris

65. B. Busby says:

Audio was poorly represented at NAB — CS5 concentrates (and probably rightly so) on Premiere and After Effects, but there used to be a “Knowledgeable Person” who could (almost always) comment about audio stuff.So, yes, I’d love to know if there’s a V4 of Audition in the offing (I started on V2 and use and like V3).Things I would like to see fixed:- “forgetting” master channel f/x after a bunch of session adjustment. Odd, that.- Crashing on VST lanes that are seldom touched suddenly getting touched (some sort of C++ exception something).- Using one processor for compression. At least for me, doing a mixdown on a twin-proc machine shows 50% system utilization, tops.You’ve got some great software here, and have paid off Smartsound (covers loopology and Soundbooth song generation stuff, no?)… so when will the next amazing product be available. Cash is in hand, and I’d be happy to beta test.

66. Rand Gardner says:

Dear Adobe Audition Decision Makers:Please add my name to the long list of Mac users who hope to run Adobe Audition without having to install Windows. I’ve been using CoolEdit/AA for over 10 years now and it only gets better with each new version. When the day comes that a Mac OS X version of AA is released, as it must due to popular demand, I will rejoice in the streets with wild abandon.Big fan,Rand Gardner

67. Lawson Hancock says:

There was a dedicated audio theater session every day at NAB last week. We also had folks available to answer questions at the “Ask the Expert” station. I apologize if you weren’t directed to the right place at our booth.As you mentioned, the launch of CS5 was the main focus for us at the show this year. However, we are actively working on the next release of Audition. Nothing specific to share yet, but your feedback is appreciated.Regards,Lawson

68. Hi Laswon,I use Audition every day, all day at work, and I believe it’s the best DAW for radio production. Here’s some thoughts from a heavy user:- I’d love to see a function that would easily and quickly convert all audio used in a session to a unique copy.- Some refinement to the clip stretching would be great (very useful tool).- Faster mixdowns would be nice, haha.- LOVE the customizable hot keys; absolutely brilliant. NEVER change this!- Mac compatibility would be the ultimate.- Some advanced quantization/beat counting tools would be very well received.- The cross fade handles were a small change in 3.0, but it probably saves me HOURS. BRILLIANT! Also love the easy amplitude adjustment in edit view

69. banele says:

Here is a challenge to every AA user out there. Click the help button and see if you can learn something new today, i bet you that most of us don’t take full advantages of our workstations. I’ve got a friend who is still a CEP user, says he is not ready for an upgrade but makes exceptional mixes. So when AA4 is released with new featueres, don’t confuse a feature that’s always been there and mistaken it as a new feature.I think Audition is an amazing piece of software and as for mac users, i’m sure it would be great to cross over and yes there are thousands of people on stand by to buy the software as soon as it released.lyric – south africa

70. Ernesto Fiks says:

Please new release of AA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

71. Richard Rock says:

For what it’s worth, I have been a long time user of this audio editing software, including every version from Cool Edit 2000 to Audition 3. Even when I went to audio engineering school and was AVID certified in Pro Tools, it didn’t take me long to go right back to Audition.I just want to say that I have been a very happy and loyal user of the Adobe Audition series and I am very patiently and enthusiastically waiting for Audition 4.When you can, please keep us up to date with its development. Thank you!-Richard from Washington, DC

72. Don McDonald says:

I could really use Audition for my radio production work and now it seems to exist:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqiyKNoexTE&feature=player_embeddedThere is no way this is fake. Someone, somewhere has it. When can the rest of us enjoy it? I will buy it the day it comes out!Thanks.

73. Mark Robinson says:

Well here’s the good news, posted 20 minutes ago.http://www.macworld.com/article/152215/2010/06/audition.html:DMark Robinson / Brainroom

74. Mark Lade says:

Anybody have any experience using AA 3.0 on MAC equipped with Parallels?

75. Mo says:

Today they released Audition for Mac as FREE BETA!

76. Scott says:

My Audition (Mac Beta) suddenly stopped playing back voice recordings as they sound in real life and is instead now playing them back as a garbled, growly Darth Vader. I uninstalled the program entirely and downloaded it again with the same result. Other audio recording programs record and play back just fine on the same iMac. Music tracks that I lay into Audition play back with the same quality that iTunes plays them back. Anyone have this same problem? Or even better, a solution?

77. Ken Halsted says:

I’ve used this since the Cooledit days also, and I bought Adobe 1, skipped 1.5, bought 2 and 3. I’m a huge fan and use Audition all the time. I have been waiting for a Mac version even though I don’t own a Mac. Now that I know you have the Beta, and probably will port it to Mac in full, I plan on buying a MAC just for the speed and reliability of it as a whole. I hope Audition keeps going forward for many, many years.

78. Mark says:

Hey guys, Quick question.
    Do the Adobe Audition Sessions transfer effectively from PC to Windows Bootcamp (or any windows running Mac program)?
    I have a bunch a sessions I desperately need to finish but require a more competent computer. My PC is crapping out on me and dont want to buy a new PC or spend the money fixing it this one. If I buy a Mac, do you think I will run into any trouble transferring the sessions?
    Thanks!