Audio CD Burning in Adobe Audition CS6

Back by popular demand, CD Burning has been re-introduced in Adobe Audition CS6.  As many of you know, CD Burning workflows found in Audition 3 and earlier were not implemented in the first cross-platform version of Audition and we heard your reaction to that loud and clear.  Because of the continued popularity of this feature and the extremely large number of customer requests, the team worked hard to re-implement CD Burning for this release.

Users familiar with the CD list view in earlier (Windows-only) versions of Audition will find the new implementation very familiar.  Audition CS6 allows for the creation of CD layouts for organization of audio tracks with the ability to save these layouts into our .cdlx file type.  Just like Multitrack Session files, Audition CS6 also allows users to open and work with more than one CD Layout at a time if desired.

Other components of the new CD Burning feature include the ability to treat CD Track marker ranges as CD tracks in the layout, deep support for the creation of CD-Text, ability to create more than one copy at a time and the NEW ability to burn audio directly from the Waveform Editor. This enables users to create quick edits and burn a waveform direct to CD in those cases where a full CD layout would not be required.

Here’s a deeper list of what you can expect from the CD Burning workflows added to Adobe Audition CS6:

1. CD Layout support which includes a way to organize CD tracks and save them to our .cdlx format.  CD Layouts can include any audio format Audition can import including selections of audio within a CD Track marker range.
  2. New “CD Track” marker type to automatically snap selections of audio to 75fps for CD.
  3. Preference to change the default pause between CD tracks.
  4. Enhanced Properties Panel layout which includes a CD Text section for easy insertion of metadata for the CD.
  5. Additional export command for “Burn Audio to CD” which allows for direct burning of a single audio file from the Waveform Editor. If the audio file contains CD Track marker ranges we will also automatically burn each marker range as a different track on the CD.
  6. The Burn Audio dialog includes the ability to test or burn, set speed options, choose the number of copies to create and an optional steps of final verification or ejection when complete.

So for those who pushed hard for the team to bring back CD Burning and make it available for Windows and Mac, Audition CS6 has what you need. For those who have asked for even more improvements to the feature over the years, we think you’ll find that the workflows have improved to allow more flexibility and control as well.

21 Responses to Audio CD Burning in Adobe Audition CS6

1. Joel says:

Will a beta be available? What mastering engine is in use? Still using PFC-based code?

• Colin Stefani says:

Joel – no beta, but there will be a trial version available for download that we encourage all to try before buying, once we ship (yet to be announced but will be soon, so stay tuned). Audition CS6 CD engine is not PFC, we have a new cross platform engine from Sonic (now owned by Rovi) that works and tested equally on Mac and Windows. For more Q&A, I encourage you to head to the audition forum here: http://forums.adobe.com/community/audition/audition_general?view=discussions . I’m sure there are more users who might want to discuss this particular topic too.

2. karthik says:

is there a working mac os x version available?

3. carlos says:

I’ve been using audition 3 to burn master cds. I can’t find the track ISRC embedding option on cs6. has it been removed? thank you.

4. Dex says:

I cannot thank you folks enough for putting this feature back in. Unlike a certain fruit company, Adobe listens to what their customers want, and doesn’t try to corral them into doing tasks the way they THINK they should be done.

5. J M Scott says:

Is it possible to email an audio file in CS6?

6. Joshua says:

Can you burn CDs with error correction code?

7. Hudson says:

I have previously used Audition 2.0 on a windows box, and when I started with CS6 on my mac I went to burn a cd. But apparently you have to actually set the entire range on a mac to burn a cd… Why doesn’t it automatically generate the track range similar to 2.0 so all I have to do is just add the markers and let audition speed up the cd burning process????

8. Mark Learey says:

Why am I getting a message telling I’m not allowed to burn a disc longer than 78 minutes??!

• durin says:

This limitation was removed in most locations, but one burn path was overlooked. We hope to release a fix in an update soon.

9. Michael says:

Audition CS6 won’t write to CD-R (drive works, other CD burning software works). Disk spins, can’t cancel operation, can’t close application, can’t eject CD. Windows 7(64)

• durin says:

Hi Michael,

I responded to you via e-mail but wanted to ask what CD drive you are using? Which brand and model and is it internal or external?

10. kd says:

is the cd length limited to 74 minutes or can it accommodate an 80 minute disc? not sure if that question was ever answered.

11. Mark says:

This was a good announcement but now where is the help for this function in CS6? Looking for instructions on how to achieve all this in CS6 Audition from Audition itself gives me this page as the best help resource available. Useless.

• John Newland says:

Where can I find a set of step-by-step instructions for burning a cd with all track markers (Shift-M) in place?
      I am accustomed to doing this with Audition 3.0.1.

John Newland
      ============================

12. I have a problem. Although CS6 is able to burn a single file on CD, split into tracks using CD-markers, it doesn’t work. For some reason the CD editor still sees my file as a single file and doesn’t seem to take notice of all de markers I have put in. They are all set to CD marker.
    What can I do? Is there something I have missed?
    Sincerly, Remco Ruijgers

• durin says:

Dragging a file into the CD Layout editor, whether it contains CD Track markers or not, simply inserts the file as a track. If you open the Markers panel, and enable “Show Markers of All Files” by clicking the button in the top-right corner of that panel, you’ll be able to drag the CD Track markers for your files in as individual tracks. You’ll also want to make certain that your CD Track markers specify a duration. The simplest method to convert cue markers to range markers is to select tall the markers in the Markers panel, right-click and choose “Merge Selected Markers.”

If you have a single file with CD Track markers, you can also use the menu shortcut File > Export > Burn Audio to CD… This will look for existing CD Track markers and quickly burn a CD creating a separate track for each range, chronologically.

13. Christopher says:

In CS6 what exactly does the CD verification feature do? A “Verification of CD failed” notification came up at the end of a burn but the CD seems to check out fine.
    Also is there a way to choose to rip a CD with multiple trks as one file and or multiple files?
    I liked very much #3 but this is much!!! faster its just taking me a while to get used to. Setting up short cuts is a bit difficult so far. Thanks very much…

• durin says:

The “Verify” option performs a bit comparison between your burned CD and the original source data. A failed verification isn’t necessarily indicative of a bad CD. While the quality of media or the burn speed can certainly affect the accuracy of the data written, audio CDs have a lot of error-correction built in that minimize failure or data loss.

While you can import a CD to multiple files with Audition CS6, it does not yet offer the ability to extract to a single file. While I can’t yet go into detail about what features are coming in the next release, I’ll hint that this may no longer be an issue.

14. rhoda says:

I am having trouble burning a CD in CS6 with Win XP. Never had a problem before. Needing some kind of solution soon.

Thnaks!