What’s New in Adobe Audition CS6

Adobe Audition CS6 is on its way, and we are now revealing all of the new and changed features in Audition CS6 and other professional video and audio applications in Creative Suite 6 Production Premium, including Adobe Prelude and SpeedGrade. Go here for details. Information on pricing and availability is not yet available, but stay tuned here for updates.

Note that Audition CS6 and all of the other applications in CS6 Production Premium will also be available as part of Adobe Creative Cloud. Stay tuned here for additional details about Creative Cloud as they become available.

If you’re at the NAB tradeshow, come see us in the Adobe booth (SL2624) 16-19April2012. We’ll have live demonstrations and presentations by customers and Adobe personnel. We’ll also be participating in the keynote address along with Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and Academy Award winner Rob Legato. Trainers will also be teaching CS6 versions of our professional video and audio applications at the Post|Production World Conference 14-18April2012.

Here’s a link to the summary of what’s new in CS6 professional video and audio applications, with short overview movies about some of the top features. These PDF documents are a much deeper look at what’s new, so be sure to check them out, too:

If you want to ask questions about these new and changed features, come on over to the Audition user-to-user forum. That’s the best place for questions. Questions left in comments on a blog post are much harder to work with; the blog comment system just isn’t set up for conversations.

Keep an eye on our Twitter feed (@audition) or this blog for regular updates. We will also be posting more in depth on some of the features below to help provide insight and details.

Audition CS6 Highlights:

Audition CS6 (nearly) Complete List of New Features:

Multitrack

• Session templates
  • Automatic speech alignment
  • Clip grouping
    • Suspend mode
    • Focus clip actions
    • Trim/fade grouped clips
    • Time aligned stretching of groups
  • Clip spotting – Manual entry of clip start or end time
  • Clip stretching – Real-time and rendered mode using iZotope Radius
  • Vari-speed clip stretching
  • Skip selection play mode
  • Metronome
  • Save all open files with session preference
  • Select all clips from playhead to end of track
  • Sum to mono per track
  • Bounce selected track
  • Reveal clip in files panel
  • Trim to selection
  • Send clip to back
  • Preference to play/hide overlapped clips
  • Mixer enhancements
  • Snap volume and pan envelopes at 0dB
  • Drag and drop file marker range to multitrack (as clip)

Waveform (Editor)

• Multiple clipboards
  • Skip selection play mode
  • Open append
  • Subclip marker support (Premiere and Prelude)
  • Improvements to spectral spot Healing
  • Pitch display

Effects

General

• Media Browser
  • Preview in Media Browser and files panel
  • Search/filter in Media Browser and files panel
  • Display markers for all files in markers panel
  • Access and open order fields in files panel (sorting)
  • Keyboard shortcuts (shortcut editor enhancements, copy to clipboard)
  • Adobe Graphics Manager Implementation to improve UI drawing
  • DLMS Integration to support additional video and audio file format import/open
  • OpenGL display for video including improved video display for improved performance
  • New spectral display preferences
  • Support for additional frame rates (23.976, 59.94 ndf/df)
  • Machine-specific device preferences (optional common audio hardware settings for all users)
  • Import most preferences from CS5.5
  • Pinch-to-zoom, rotate to scrub Mac touchpad support (Mac only)
  • Improved properties panel UI layout

Broadcast Specific

• ITU Loudness – Normalize files (batch) to ITU-BS.1770-2 (R128), view loudness level diagnostics
  • Native MPEG1-Layer 2 audio (MP2) import and export
  • Enhanced CART timer and metadata support

Control Surface/Automation

• Mackie MCU, native Avid EUCON, other controller support
  • Recordable track automation (Full Write, Touch, Latch support with undo)

Format support

• MPEG4, HD Video, and additional audio import (via DLMS)
  • Native MPEG1-Layer2 (MP2) audio import and export
  • Native APE, FLAC, OGG export and import
  • libsndfile export – export most formats supported by libsndfile
  • CD Import metadata support (via FreeDB)
  • Enhanced RAW format support

Output

42 Responses to What’s New in Adobe Audition CS6

1. Steve M says:

Finally grouping!!! Yes!!!! I’ve been missing that feature since the upgrade from Au3 to CS5.5 :D Even though samplitude has had it for a long time, I love that Audition now has the visual stretching too. :-) VERY tempting to upgrade.

2. Ronald Bell says:

Vinyl click & pop removal appears to have taken a back seat since Audition 3.0
    Please help me to discover where they are in the newer editions.

• durin says:

There are two click removal tools in CS 5.5 and CS 6. An “Automatic Click Remover” effect can be applied destructively in Waveform view, or non-destructively in Multitrack. Additionally, there is a more advanced tool in the Diagnostics panel which will scan and mark clicks, allow you to preview each, and control the amount of reduction and healing applied individually or in bulk.

3. Pingback: Adobe CS6 aangekondigd « ANIMOTION

4. mark lefty says:

Hi Adobe
    I would like to save /export in mpg4a format so it could be opened, played and stored in iTunes. This is important when correcting / editing analog to digital files and desiring a less compressed format then mpeg3. is it possible and have you implemented that in audition cs6?
    Mark Lefty

5. NO Re-wire ?

Every D.A.W. NOW N DAYS SUPPORTS THIS .. This is Adobe officially not carring about the musicians that supported this program since CEP .. Congratulations you could have been the next generation all around Powerhouse DAW . But nope .. Not now Aye !!

6. Laura Peters says:

There’s great training available for Audition from Larry Jordan – even the new version! http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/Store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=283

7. Bill says:

I agree Randall !

Im very exited with the new cs 6 feature but it would be nice have Re-wire to use a midi sequencer like Reason.

8. Greg says:

Maybe when they release CS 6.5, or who knows, even CS 7, they’ll put Rewire in there. I’m just happy to see clip grouping back in!!! I spend 8 hours a day in Audition putting together commercials and the loss of clip grouping in CS 5.5 made my life hell! I’m sure, like myself, the rest of my radio production brethren will be chomping at the bit to upgrade to CS 6, given the plethora of time saving features that are being added. Will they work as advertised though? That is the question. I think we all remember the horror that was Audition 2.0……..

• Colin Stefani says:

All we ask is that you give it a try. There will still be a 30-day trial from the Adobe.com site, so you can test drive the new stuff and see if it works for you (I’m pretty confident you’ll enjoy the clip grouping). Stay tuned for more info on release dates.

• Greg says:

I’ll be doing more than giving it a try. I’ll be upgrading! I’m pretty confident that all will be well. CS 5.5 works great! Just missing some desired features. CS 6 saves the day!

9. Jim Curtis says:

Please correct the mis-spelling of “separate,” and fix broken links (to CD features, etc.)

• Colin Stefani says:

done, and thanks, apparently the URL didn’t paste in correctly (along with my typos ;-)

10. Mike Russell says:

Thanks Adobe for creating another no brainer upgrade. When you released the Mac version I made the switch from PC to Mac and haven’t looked back – works a charm. I made a wish for control surface support and you have granted that too plus tons more great new features. Adobe Audition is our editing software of choice here at Music Radio Creative.

11. Alain Mazy says:

Hi,
    And the midi sequencer/Editor ?? For composing with VSTi or DXi like Konkat, EastWest, etc.. ?? Or write your sample player NI compatible.. Adobe Audtion is the best! Like Cool Edit was in 1998.. :-))

12. Matthew Culloton says:

I am wondering if you foresee bringing back the scrub tool from Audition 3. The scrub techniques mentioned for the CS.5 Audition are a far cry from that wonderful and necessary tool. Thanks for an otherwise great program!

13. rbl says:

Regarding m4a export – The Sonnox Fraunhofer Pro-Codec v2 should work with Audition when released in a few months.

14. PAPION says:

hi (and sorry or my bad translation)
    i am agree with Alain Mazy, i think adobe midi need an option for live exporting or mix-downing a file. this option should be about changing tempo live with mouse or keyboard for making a real music. when i want to create a virtual real music ;) i need to changing tempo in export, maybe a little faster or slower in a part of music.
    Audition 2 was the best in audio, not in music. but in new version we need thinking more about midi tracks. and i think if we can have a part for adding plug-in for example a plug-in for changing keyboard to piano ;) it can be good.
    thanks for upgrading this rare program.

15. Griff says:

So what happened to loop recording for punching in? In Audition 3 all I had to do was select a region, right click and choose “punch in”, and then select a slightly larger region than my punch in region for the pre and post roll. Right clicking on the record button allowed me to loop record forever, and then I could right click on the punch in field, choose the best take, and that take was automatically placed on top. Now, from what I can tell, I have to manually place the CTI for each punch in take. There is no loop record. I have to manually drag and rearrange all my takes so the best one is on top. Why does it always seem that with each new Audition release we get huge improvements like multi-core processing and a million other esoteric improvements that only appeal to a small group of users, but then we get huge take-aways of the most basic stuff like loop recording? I am tired of the Adobe line, “We’ll get around to implementing that in a future update.” Come on Adobe, Audition 3, a program that is 6 years old, had loop recording! I guess I’m going to have to go back to Audition 3 to get my work done, AGAIN. We all waited years for the wonder that was to be Audition 4, and instead we got the abomination that was CS5.5. Now we’ve got CS6 that is better under the hood than Audition 3, but is still inferior to Audition 3’s overall experience. I think it is time to look at ProTools or Sonar.

16. jackatnite says:

Glad to see clip grouping back, even though I figured out an easy workaround for it with 5.5. Still no AUTO PREVIEW. The simplest, most useful and sorely lacking feature that was lost in the conversion to CS 5.5. Yes, I like the fact that I can now quick preview a file in the open file window. I would like to be able to click on each file before opening it. I’ve only had CS6 for 10 minutes, but I can tell you now I don’t want to have to open a bunch of files so I can quick preview them.

17. jackatnite says:

Media Browser. Enable Auto Play. There it is.

18. Debbie Johnson says:

All of the problems that existed in Audition 5.5 have been added to 6.0. The most annoying thing is the markers.

This software was obviously designed by programmer-bots that haven’t spent a day doing audio editing/production. The markers move if you make any edit anywhere in the audio file. What’s the point of markers that shift and move? You cannot set the playback to play “from cursor to end of the current view,” and the view changes whenever you switch to another file and then go back to the file. Make an edit, and the view changes. You spend half your time trying to find and return to edit spots within the file because markers move and the view moves .If you want a audio editing program that works well, stick with version 3.0 (if you already own it).

19. Brian says:

Without going into specifics I’m more dissapointed with each new version since Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro or at least since Adobe CS3. I’ll be ‘downgrading’ to either Cool Edit Pro or CS3. Effects have been lost which seems to be in exchange for browsing and a few other housekeeping ‘conveniences’ which every program under the sun has these days! The program has become very bland. Not only Audition but photoshop as well. I’m going back to my roots to Corel Paint Shop Pro maybe CS7 will suprise me but I doubt it now.

• Brian says:

PS There are times I’d prefer the ability to forge/mould my own clips from a simple sine wave or generated noise as I did back in 2000, which was actually the last time I did that. Is that a thing of the past? Although Resource Central has a wealth of material I’m now having to search for other software to at least accompany the “Master’ Collection to. I was looking forward to purchasing CS6 MC but will reluctantly go ahead with this minus the excitment as I’ve become very dissapointed with the loss of features over the years.

20. Jeroi says:

I am also wondering why the program don’t have play selected, play from start or end marker features. It is so fustruating to move the cursor where you want to play instead of putting marker and quick key to playback. Also why does not click start new playback on selected spot when playing selcted audio cut? There are so many cotrolling issues with audition still that I wonder does Adobe use test group at all for their coding staff. Really fix the audio control issues with mouse atleast and add thos damn quick keys for playback from start and so on.

21. Pingback: CS6 Production Premium Reveal | Creative Layer

22. Taron says:

would like to see midi sequencer

23. Fletchesus says:

Is there a timed reocrd function in CS6? Thanks

• durin says:

This feature has not been implemented yet, but does remain in our feature database and is prioritized alongside other features. I’ll make a note in the feature of your request.

24. Troy B. Stauffer says:

I really need the “always on” scrub back. There was a feature in Audition 3 where if you held the Shift key and scrubbed, it would continue to play audio even when you stopped srubbing. this allowed you to hear exactly what the audio was at any point in time without having to back up and play again or loop.
    All the srubbing features are missed, but this one the most.

Is anyone from adobe even listening to this thread?

25. Phill says:

Hi.
    In ‘features’ it says: Expanded audio and video file formats
    Import, play back, convert, and mix down to more video and audio formats such as … HE-AAC, WMA”… but there’s a comment here asking for M4a exporting, and in the comparison table WMA is not listed for CS6, so, does it exports He-AAC M4a and WMA or not?
    are the same formats supported for Winows and MAC versions?
    Thanks.

26. Dissident Penguin says:

Although I must say I am vastly impressed by the improvements I have seen between CS5 and CS6, there is one feature that was removed that makes AA pretty much useless to me. Namely, discontinuing of XFM plugin format support. This format developed by the crowd of Syntrillium allowed for some features not possible with mainstream plugin standards (vst, au, direct x, etc).

This standard together with the impressive audio filters available in AA, made it a great choice even for scientific audio research since it was fairly easy to program your own processes. Now even the old sdk is nowhere to be found. Any chance of seeing this feature back in Audition some day?

Another feature I would like to see back in AA (I haven’t been able to find info on whether it is implemented in CS6, which suggests it isn’t), is session notes. For complex sessions or research work they are a must.

• TC says:

The discontinuing of XFM is definitely an issue for our company as we rely heavily on custom code written in this format. It would be great if this would continue to work!

27. Bill says:

Adobe, wake up please! I’m on Windows 64 bit but I can’t justify upgrading to CS6 until you at least implement rewire, and then MIDI sequencing support for VST instruments. I’m waiting, with Audition 3.0, but I’m beginning to look elsewhere for a new DAW. Cool Edit Pro/Audition has always been the best, and it pains me to have to learn a new program, but my patience is waning.

SEQUENCING, REWIRE, MIDI VSTi!!! even 2nd and 3rd rate DAWs have these. Get your act together and get it done. Save Audition before it dies!

28. Randall Arnold says:

Add back support for midi tracks, and I will abandon Sonar and Reaper. That’s all I need.

29. Gideon Kasozi says:

I do many many choirs in East Africa with AA3…possibly 3-4 a week. I prob spend 6-10 hrs a day working with AA every 6 days of the week. 10 years ago I started with CE 1, 1.5, 2, AA 1.5 and now AA3. There was a fantastic feature in AA1.5 called “append to session” which meant after mixing the 1st song (really well) of a choir I would append all the rest of their songs to the last settings. Alas, this feature disappeared in AA3. Is it back in ver 6?

30. Derek Shetterly says:

I’m also wishing there was a way to “punch in” and record pickups when narrating audio books – is there a way to do this in CS6?

• durin says:

The pre-roll behavior necessary for this to work properly has not yet been implemented within the Waveform editing environment. I believe this is an important improvement to the experience, and have prioritized this functionality pretty high in our feature backlog. I’ll add a note linking to your comment/request to help support the feature during review.

31. jerry says:

i am severely disappointed in the clip duplicate function being removed, this is hell on earth! and i liked the file preview they used to have, navigating through files was so simple and easy f#%@ this media browser. i want my versions 2-3 back

32. Winston says:

No ReWire? Why? Why, in this day and age, would you not have support for ReWire? Ridiculous.