Adobe Audition CS6 (5.0.1) update patch released

UPDATE (July 20, 2012):  Due to an issue discovered after the 5.0.1 build 6 patch was released, the Audition team has pulled this update and released a new 5.0.1 build 7 patch, available at the download links below.

Today we released an update to address several bugs in Audition CS6. Many were minor workflow issues, but a few could cause Audition to crash under certain circumstances.

• Download the patch installer directly from adobe.com:
    • Windows: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5419
    • Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5418

Bugs fixed in Adobe Audition CS6 5.0.1 update:

• APE files with metadata inserted by other editors cause Audition to crash (Windows)
  • If previous session directory no longer exists, Audition leaves the Folder Location field empty
  • Multitrack fades no longer respect the fade type preference.  (Worked in CS5.5)
  • Audition may crash when users choose to create unique copies of selected MT regions
  • Playback stutters when creating a unique copy of a clip while right-click dragging
  • Channel Mix settings not honored on export when not exposed in dialog
  • EUCON Soft Key set contains keys that do nothing
  • Session Tempo broken on systems using commas instead of decimal points
  • Bounce to New Track > Selected Track bounces AFTER passing through track output
  • If a favorite was recorded on subset of channels, the favorite will fail if those channels are disabled
  • Sending a stereo bus side-chained to a mono track may crash the application
  • UAD-2 plug-ins missing from Windows Effects menu
  • Audition may crash on launch when CoolType encounters certain installed fonts (Mac)

24 Responses to Adobe Audition CS6 (5.0.1) update patch released

1. Misha says:

Is there a reason why Adobe never adheres to Apple’s versioning guidelines?

Why is this 5.0.1×6 instead of just 5.0.1? The BundleVersion string should also reflect 5.0.1 (you can put the build number in the ShortVersion string if you insist).

Meanwhile, the Photoshop team is busy specifying 20120315.r.428 as the BundleVersion string (instead of 13.0)… at least the Illustrator team knows what they’re doing (16.0.0 as the BundleVersion, and 682 as the ShortVersion).

2. Lloyd says:

Durin,
    I did the update and found some of my effects in Dynamics Processing no longer working…most importantly “Classic Soft Knee.” This is an effect I use on all my voiceover projects. I will call tech support to see if I can go back to original version of CS6. Also, thanks so much for the team bringing Cart Chunk to CS6. You and I had a few discussions regarding this during beta testing.
    Lloyd

• durin says:

We have reproduced the Dynamics Processing issue as well and are looking into it now.

Thanks for the feedback on Cart Chunk and I hope the improved implementation was easy to learn and is more useful. Are you just using the metadata fields or are you able to use the Cart markers as well?

• durin says:

Lloyd, to get back to CS6, you can uninstall Audition through your Windows “Programs” control panel tool. Then reinstall from your original disk or installer, or download it again from adobe.com. I’ll post an update when we’ve corrected this.

3. Gavan Bruderer says:

Damn! I was really hoping for a way to save over an “exported” session while still working on it. I want to use CS6 sooo bad, but until I can continually update my session with copies of all clips (as I did in 3.0/1.5), I can’t use it at work :(

4. Lloyd says:

Durin, Tech support got me back to original CS6 and everything is OK again on dynamics processing.
    In regards to the Cart Markers YES LOVE THIS FEATURE. So much simpler when adding music into the system and already having that data ready to go. Great job!

5. Lloyd says:

In future updates, I would like to put in a request to build in the PreSonus Fader Port as part of Adobe Audition Control Surface. I have been using this in Logic Pro and has saved a lot of time while building music beds for production. However, for day to day operations in radio, I use Audition and this would save me hours of work being able to use this control surface instead of the mouse and keyboard. Just a suggestion.
    Lloyd

• durin says:

The PreSonus Faderport should work when set to Mackie mode. (Not HUI mode.) We have a feature request in for native Faderport support, but it is currently prioritized lower than many other features for the next release. I’ll add a note to the request linking to your support for it.

6. Pingback: Audition CS6 update patch re-released. Please read. « Inside Sound

7. Michael says:

I was hoping here was a fix for the “grayed out clip editing options”.
    The clip options and the selection icon tools are all grayed Out in CS6 5.0.
    I installed the 5.0.1. build 7 update now. Still nothing.

I hope there is a fix for it soon!

Thanks!

• durin says:

Hi Michael,

I’m not aware of any other reports of an issue like this. The Clip menu items won’t be active unless you’re in a Multitrack Session and a clip is selected in the timeline. Many of the Selection tools are only enabled while in Spectral Frequency editing mode and would otherwise be grayed out when editing in Waveform view or Multitrack.

• Michael says:

Hello Durin,

Thank you for your reply!
        I tried it and it worked indeed. But I think it’s very strange that it is impossible to edit a clip in Waveform view.

I searched and at several Adobe forms they talked about this same issue. They assumed it was a bug in the software.

In the past I used Cool edit pro and bought a earlier version of Audition. CS6 is working much better than the previous version of Audition so thank you for that! But this is the first version where you are unable to edit your recordings in Waveform view mode hhhmmm… :)

• durin says:

You can edit the CONTENTS of a clip in Waveform view by double clicking the clip. However, changes made in Waveform view are destructive – they modify the actual bits in the audio file and this change would propagate to any other clip or session that referenced that particular file. Modifications performed in Multitrack are non-destructive and are real-time changes to a stream of audio encompassed by the clip, but not actually writing those changes until you perform a Bounce or Mixdown, both of which generate a NEW file.

So the editing tools that select specific samples, enable destructive changes, or are spectral-frequency based are only available in the editing mode that makes sense. In Multitrack mode, since you’re not actually selecting audio samples, just a range of time in a clip that references some other abstract range of time in an arbitrary file, those tools aren’t applicable and would have no real action.

Did I ramble? Maybe. Hope it was a bit enlightening, though!

• Michael says:

Thanks for your explanation!
            If I double click the clip in Waveform view the contents in the clip is selected (select all).
            If I double click the contents of a track in Multitrack mode, it’s switching to Waveform view. So than the “circle is round” again. :D :)

I think I need to read some documentation about Audition CS6! haha!!
            Thanks again for your kind responses! I will not bother you any longer haha!!
            All the best!

8. Pingback: Audition CS6 Update 5.0.1 with bug fixes | NEXTGEN Producers

9. Anthony Castellano says:

Does this update make CS6 for Mac compatible with Mac OS X 10.8, Mountain Lion?

• durin says:

Anthony,

CS6 will work fine in Mountain Lion with or without the 5.0.1 update. This update simply fixes a few bugs that were discovered after release. If you notice any troubles with Audition after upgrading to 10.8, please let us know and we’ll look into it.

10. Simon in Paris says:

Tempo still not saved and restored in session, using 5.0.1 rel7 under Windows 7, french local (using commas instead of points). tempo remain unchanged when loading any session. Never worked under any version. VERY ANNOYING for production. Thx

• durin says:

Simon,

This issue should have been resolved in this update. Can you send me an e-mail to audbugs@adobe.com and we can troubleshoot this further? Meanwhile, I’ll setup a native French Windows 7 environment and see if I can reproduce under this specific scenario.

11. jeremiah says:

Why is the 5.0.1 build 7 patch NOT being detected/distributed through the built-in updating mechanism/Adobe Application Manager?

You have a built-in feature to update your application. And yet you deny your customers the ability to get the latest version — accidentally happening upon the information on some blog? Yet there it is posted in big red letters on the web, with ZERO notification from within the application.

All the trouble of requiring an internet connection to deal with activating and authorizing the software online — and yet software updates are inconsistently handled internally & externally.

Yes, the criticism may be harsh, but seriously? This is what fellow customers are paying for?

• durin says:

Hi Jeremiah,

I noted this briefly in the blog post, but to elaborate an issue was discovered introduced by the 5.0.1 build 6 patch shortly after it was released that forced us to withdraw the build 6 patch and quickly release a build 7. Unfortunately, the updater tool was not designed to accomodate “hot swapping” patches with the same version number and the internal process to change this to a 5.0.2 patch would have taken longer than we wanted to wait getting these fixes out. We filed a request with the updater tools team to facilitate this ability in future releases, though we must accept the blame for releasing a patch that broke existing behavior.

For the future, if your main workstations are offline, you’d be able to download the patch from the website rather than try to rely on the updater.

• jeremiah says:

Sounds like there are some horrible development/versioning policies at Adobe. You may want to consider sharing these comments to your management so they see how it negatively impacts your customers ability to get the latest versions of your production software.

As a customer running in to a crash/bug, I expect to get the latest software patches through a softwares built-in updating mechanism (which exists in the case of Audition). Is it not annoying to find out that there are SELECTIVE patches that I have to MANUALLY seek out in order to avoid bugs? You might as well discard the auto-update feature (and hopefully focus on bringing Audition up to par with the missing features from prior versions).