Creating CDs in Adobe Audition: Part 1

Adobe Audition CS6 offers several different ways of creating audio CDs. In this first post, I’m going to show you the quickest, simplest way to create a  multi-track CD from a single file recording.

For this example, I downloaded an hour-long Grateful Dead performance * from archive.org and opened it in Audition.  My first step is to make a selection around each song and create a CD Track Marker.  CD Track markers automatically conform to the minimum increment durations defined by the Red Book Audio CD standard, and are used by Audition when exporting a file to CD.  You can use the SHIFT+M shortcut to create a CD Track marker from any selection, or change the type of existing Cue Markers in the Markers Panel.

Making sure the regions I want in my final CD are set as CD Track Markers

Making sure the regions I want in my final CD are set as CD Track Markers

With each song identified and marked, I’m ready to burn a CD for the daily commute to work.  By selecting File > Export > Burn Audio to CD… from the menu bar, I can quickly create a CD without having to create a full project.

A quick option for burning an Audio CD.

A quick option for burning an Audio CD.

Some details about the Burn Audio to CD command.

Some details about the Burn Audio to CD command.

A few options for the burn process.

A few options for the burn process.

A CD ready to pop in the car!

A CD ready to pop in the car!

That’s it!  The Burn Audio to CD command makes it quick and simple to burn a multitrack CD from a single, long-form recording.  It’s a great solution for breaking down long takes into chapters or tracks, such as lectures, book readings, or live performances.  But what if you want to produce a more professional CD with tracks from different sources?

Up next in this little series: Creating structured audio CD’s with Audition’s CD Project editor.

Still on the fence about Adobe Audition?
Why not get it through Adobe Creative Cloud? Creative Cloud includes all of the Adobe desktop applications, so you can try out other applications like Adobe Premiere Pro, Muse, Lightroom. With Creative Cloud you keep all your Adobe applications up to date for one low monthly fee – including future versions when they become available. Try it now for free!

* While archive.org offers this performance as separate tracks, I had previously combined them into a single FLAC file.

9 Responses to Creating CDs in Adobe Audition: Part 1

1. Kevin Byrd says:

How do you put in the Name of the Artist and The Title of the Album in the Disc? Is there a CD Text Window to do that? Do you have a You Tube Video Channel for everybody to view online?

• durin says:

I’ll go into more detail about the CD-TEXT metadata in a later post, but if you expose the Properties panel while you’re building a CD Project you can enter CD-TEXT for the entire album. If you want to modify the metadata for each individual track, right click the column headers in the CD Project panel and enable the fields you wish to modify and view. These include fields such as Artist, Genre, ISRC, etc. To modify a field, simply double-click and it should convert to a text entry box.

2. Kevin Byrd says:

Conforming To Audio CD Format—–> What does that mean? Is that a Process that has to Happen before the Software and the Hardware begins to Write the Audio Disc ? Can you override it?

3. Russell Elledge says:

Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I followed the process outlined above to the letter, yet what gets burned to CD is one continuous audio track. Did I miss something?

• durin says:

You may not have converted the marker ranges to CD Track markers. This command will only create separate tracks for those particular marker types. You can select them in the Markers panel, right-click, and choose Change Marker Types > CD Track.

• Russell Elledge says:

Yes, I’ve confirmed that the markers are “CD Track”. Still getting the same issue. Tried with 2 different audio tracks. And have even upgraded from CS6 to CC since I first posted it. No change.

4. David Moodley says:

Could you please help me, for some reason after burning a CD using the CD Editor and altering the CD-TEXT options to the specified Artist, Album, etc. Another Artist’s or Album’s name appears on the CD when opened or played using various software and sources. I suspect that it may be the “Gracenote Media Database”, but how does one fix such a problem? I know the CD-TEXT I inputted works because it appears in my car radio and the text in the comment I typed appears everywhere, even when the Artist and Album is different.

Thanks,

• durin says:

Most software players do not support CD-TEXT, instead drawing their primary details from Gracenote or other CDDB-compatible databases as you mentioned. You may be able to find a preference in the player to override this behavior and use CD-TEXT, but it is up to the player software or device where it pulls its metadata from.