Disclaimer: The following opinion is personal; it does not in any way reflect the opinion of Adobe.
UPDATE (01/18/2012): Some benchmark numbers posted below. More to come.
If you found yourself gaping in shocking disbelief at the premise in the title of this post, congratulations! You are the target audience for this post.
Sample numbers for Tamarin’s test/performance/jsbench benchmarks (running time in seconds for maximum datasizes in each case):
- SOR: 23.1 (V8), 4.6 (Falcon + type inference + AVM)
- LUFact: 138.7 (V8), 23.3 (Falcon + type inference + AVM)
- HeapSort: 10.0 (V8), 14.7 (Falcon + type inference + AVM)
- FFT: 75.6 (V8), 31.1 (Falcon + type inference + AVM)
- Crypt: 25.1 (V8), 7.4 (Falcon + type inference + AVM)