A few of the team in Adobe Professional Services have been working on a port of PMD to work with ActionScript.
From the overview:
FlexPMD is a tool that helps to improve code quality by auditing any AS3/Flex source directory and detecting common bad practices, such as:
- Unused code (functions, variables, constants, etc.)
- Inefficient code (misuse of dynamic filters, heavy constructors, etc.)
- Over-complex code (nested loops, too many conditionals, etc.)
- Over-long code (classes, methods, etc.)
- Incorrect use of the Flex component lifecycle (commitProperties, etc.)
A report is produced describing the violations of a given rule set. FlexPMD includes a rule set that is broad ranging and continually growing.
We have been using this on my current project, and it’s a great tool. Especially handy is the ability to edit or create the rule set. This also integrates well with continuous integration tools, providing updated reports ever time the build scripts run.
Check out on Confluence, the Adobe Open Source website (you may need to log into Adobe to view the link):