Customer Research: How Do You Use CFHTTP?

I’d like to find out the primary ways in which ColdFusion customers use the CFHTTP tag. Specifically, I’m interested in the following:

1. How often do you use it?
  2. What types of things do you use it for?
  3. Do you primarily use it for GET or POST operations?
  4. Do you use its more advanced capabilities like proxy and query support?

Please posts responses here, or send them to me directly at cantrell@macromedia.com. Thanks for your time!

13 Responses to Customer Research: How Do You Use CFHTTP?

1. Tarantor says:

1. How often do you use it?Everyday. Or every 15 min in order to check some sites if they are live or not.2. What types of things do you use it for?- Create site reports- Parse data- Create queries from text based information such as counters or logs (than QoQ).3. Do you primarily use it for GET or POST operations?Mainly GET but in same cases for reporting we have POST also.4. Do you use its more advanced capabilities like proxy and query support?Yes.:-)

2. I use CFHTTP quite a bit these days.I have put it into my personal home page of links to call my stocks off Yahoo! (and that uses the ability to make query columns in the CFHTTP call), but where I am really employing it is in a project to read XML off various web sites and display it as needed for a group web site, and also to concatenate it and re-set it into XML for reading by a third party.The project’s aim is to have various arts organizations be able to feed their events listings from their individual web sites into a group site, where they can be merged and viewed together, as well as exporting the merged XML as possibly needed. In these early stages, I am using basic RSS but the project will likely result in either the development of a new format which we might call PAES (Performing Arts Event Syndication) or possibly some extension of RSS 2.0.In each case I am employing GET operations.

3. jared says:

I use it everyday (7 or 8 scheduled tasks running anywhere from every hour to ever 6 hours) to do datamining of regional news sources for Total Information Awareness style analysis. I had all but given up on CFHTTP and was converting the code to PERL when 6.1 was released and subsequently solved most of the issues which prompted me toward PERL. I only use GET so far, and none of the proxy services. However I’m thinking about trying to start using some of the JSP Scrape tag-libs. These seem like they might be much more useful for my sort of work. (http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/scrape-doc/intro.html) email me if you want to see an example of the system.

4. 1. How often do you use it?Pretty much constantly.2. What types of things do you use it for?Pinging weblogs.com, sending Trackbacks, aggregating RSS, handling Sprint PCS photoblogging, taking advantage of various autodiscovery mechanisms, processing ping2talk requests, scraping the Fusebox forum to create RSS, and sending Metaweblog API requests.Less frequently, I also use it to scrape specific sections of dmoz.org to generate a cached directory.3. Do you primarily use it for GET or POST operations?Both.4. Do you use its more advanced capabilities like proxy and query support?No to both of those.

5. I use it every day, scheduled to run at off-hours, probably runs about 80 times a day.I have 12 different web sites downloading payment data from our credit/e-check/other processors. I have it log in, surf around and download data, parse it and stick it into our database. It gets tricky when they only put 10 or 20 records per page. Or worse yet, when they have CSV format, with commas in the product descriptions (cfhttp query chokes on that every time). Our finance dept uses this to make sure their records match ours. They used to do it manually– ugh.I wish these people would publish a web service with this info, but until then, it’s trusty old cfhttp.

6. paulH says:

1) as often as needed2) i most often use it to control CGI internet mapping program and to scrape info from other sites (like quake info from the USGS)3) mostly get, some post4) hardly ever

7. Brian says:

Love CFHTTP! I am currently using it in an e-commerce app to communicate with an authorize.net payment gateway (advanced integration method). Flash remoting services invokes a CF CFC method that utilizes CFHTTP to talk to the gateway and return the results. Use it for lots of other cool stuff too of course!

8. Brad says:

We use it extensively on our intranet portal in the following ways.1) Everyday2) Only get3)a) To grap stock info in real timeb) To grab investor news and place it on our intranet4) never.

9. motobass says:

I am using it primarily to turn text files into queries.

10. I’m glad you made me this question…1. lately, very often2. We use it in two ways:* to sindicate contents to clients without CF hosting. Our clients made a call with a script tag, with src pointing to a page that a) makes an cfhttp call to another page to query a database and compose the reply, b) edits the response in order to avoid linebreaks, single quotes and other things javascript didn’t like.* to authenticate users in applications that involve connections to a third part server.Must notice that I was in love with this tag, but our servers on MX are giving ‘connection failure’ errors without apparent reason from time to time, so we are thinking on avoid cfhhtp at all :(3. We use get in the first case and post in the second.4. No.

11. Mary says:

I prefer POST.

12. Quote: “Mainly GET but in same cases for reporting we have POST also.”Using POST is prefered since it masks the data in the query string. But GET is sometimes good in places where the user might press the back button (maybe in a searchable directory or something). With POST, going back would show an expired error in the browser

13. Aldon says:

Does anyone know of a prebuilt application in CFM to do datamining?