Dreamweaver MX 2004 for ColdFusion Developers

I’ve seen some comments out there about Dreamweaver MX 2004 not offering ColdFusion developers any new features. It’s true that a great deal of emphasis for this release was placed on CSS support and designer tools, but aren’t these features just as important to ColdFusion developers as they are to anyone else? Anyone who uses ColdFusion should be looking very seriously at CSS, if not already using it full time. As far as I’m concerned, features that are good for web development in general are good for ColdFusion developers.

There are several other features that I think are huge wins for ColdFusion developers. Although I haven’t had time to really familiarize myself with Dreamweaver MX 2004 yet, as I read through the list of new features, the following really caught my attention:

• Siteless file editing (thank you!)
  • Keyboard shortcuts for snippets
  • CSS support (including CSS code hints and cross-browser validation)
  • Secure FTP
  • Built-in graphics editor (very cool!)
  • Right-click coder tools

And finally, if you try Dreamweaver MX 2004 and still think it just isn’t for you, it comes with a new version of Homesite+!

7 Responses to Dreamweaver MX 2004 for ColdFusion Developers

1. Rob Brooks-Bilson says:

Christain,The biggest *missing* features that have prevented me personally from upgrading to Dreamweaver MX (the rest of my team uses it) is lack of support for CVS and the inability to deploy code to multiple servers (as in a cluster). I have both of these abilities in Homesite +, and absolutely can’t live without them. After reading over the new features in DWMX 2004, I don’t see these mentioned anywhere, so I guess all I have to look forward to is Homesite + 5.5.

2. John Farrar says:

I am looking foward to using the new Dreamweaver, as the current one is used regular. Yet, the editor is still oriented for doing manual page by page editing. Yes, there are templates… and these are very cool for doing a site for Contribute… but if you want to do an nTier site (my favorites style … or say the fusebox community now uses MVC), then we are not strongly supported. The logic, data and presentation run over each other… and from the enterprise application mindset, DW still cries out to manage code manually. It is moving ahead… but this is more of a presentation leap than a strong upgrade for a Coldfusion developer. (Just give us a little more next time.)

3. Andy says:

The siteless file editing is definately a bonus, but like Rob, the lack of CVS support is a major headache. We all still use Dreamweaver but we’re having to do the CVS pushing an pulling manually…. which is definately a pain.

4. Stacy Young says:

MM’s lack of CVS across all their products baffles me to no end.Some must-haves appear to be in DW2004 but it’s still a ways from being a coders tool from what I can see. I’m optimistic though, will give her a shot when it rolls out…

5. Mike says:

What is CVS?

6. “The biggest *missing* features that have prevented me personally from upgrading to Dreamweaver MX (the rest of my team uses it) is lack of support for CVS and the inability to deploy code to multiple servers (as in a cluster).”Don’t worry, I’ve heard rumors that the upcoming MX will come with CVS suport built in!!

7. RJ Latherow says:

I just dont get the CVS issue either. Homesite uses a generic MS (SCCAPI) architecture that lets you choose a source control provider. This has let my team use CVS using the Jalini Igloo or PushOK CVSProxy.All dreamweaver needs is what homesite has had for years.I have had to ask my developers, most of which have been happily on Dreamweaver for the past 9 months, to switch back to homesite because of this.