Installing ColdFusion MX 6.1 on OS X

I have seen a few people experience difficulties installing ColdFusion MX 6.1 on OS X. Not to worry — it works fine. You just have to make a few adjustments.

The problem people seem to be running into is with the graphical installer. There seems to be an issue with the graphical installer and Sun’s 1.4.1 JVM for OS X. There are two ways to fix this:

1. Run the installer in console mode like this:

% java -jar ./coldfusion-61-other.jar -i console

(Don’t actually type the “%” — that is meant to represent your command prompt.)

This is not as scary as it might sound. The console installer is just as user friendly as the graphical version, except for the fact that you have to type paths in rather than navigate to them.

2. Run the graphical installer with Java 1.3.1 rather than 1.4.1. This is perfectly safe and doable on most configurations since the OS X software updater does not remove the old version of Java when installing the new version (rather, it installs the new JVM right along side the old one and simply changes some symbolic links).

Here is the command for running the graphical installer with Java 1.3.1:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Home/bin/java -jar ./coldfusion-61-other.jar -i gui

The command above may have broken onto two lines in your browser — make sure you run it as a single line.

20 Responses to Installing ColdFusion MX 6.1 on OS X

1. Do you still need Jrun to perform a new install of CFMX 6.1 or does 6.1 have a J2EE server built in for OS X?

2. Christian Cantrell says:

You still need JRun. These instructions assume that you already have JRun 4 installed.Christian

3. Lola says:

Is JRun 4 still the same version as the one included in this install package?

4. Christian Cantrell says:

Which install package? I have always installed them individually.Christian

5. Lola Lee says:

I was talking about the package just released, 6.1.

6. Ken Azuma says:

Now I’m preparing Japanese DEVNET article for installing CFMX 6.1 on OS X. Thank you for GUI installing info. I will add this to my article.

7. Scott Boms says:

Hey Christian,You should note that there’s an error in the online instructions on the Macromedia site for doing this install.The line for the command line install is wrong on the page and is missing the “-i” switch at the end of the command.It should read, as in your instructions as:java -jar coldfusion-61-other.jar -i consoleinstead of:java -jar coldfusion-61-other.jar consoleCheers!

8. Christian Cantrell says:

Thanks, Scott. I’ll pass that along.Christian

9. Stephen Rogers says:

Question: I have a developer CFMX running on Jrun4 on Mac OS X. According the the MM install notes, the package includes the latest Jrun4 (r2), however, the CFMX 6.1 installer only looks like it will create a 6.1 EAR or WAR (at least in the ‘update’ option) – not update Jrun. The Jrun4 Updater2 still hasn’t been released for Mac OS X (as evidenced on the Jrun4 updates page). So, finally the question, do I need to do fresh “Developer” CFMX6.1 install to get the updated Jrun4, and if not, do I follow the same instructions for Deploying CFMX6.1 in my currently installed Jrun4 as I did when I deployed CFMX? Thanks for any tips.

10. Scott Moore says:

any os x users tried installing on tomcat yet?

11. Christian Cantrell says:

Sean Corfield runs ColdFusion MX on Tomcat, among other configurations.Christian

12. Ken Azuma says:

Hi all,If you can read Japanese, please check this DEVNET Japan article. Thanks.Ken Azumahttp://www.macromedia.com/jp/devnet/mx/coldfusion/articles/cfmx_on_macos.html

13. Sam says:

Can you use the integrated installer to install JRun and CFMX on OSX at once like you can on Windows?

14. Ken Azuma says:

No, we can deploy .war files on JRun or Tomcat. We can not install at once.

15. Christain, We are waiting for the JRUN 4 Update 2 for OS X. I know MM has a lot on their plate, but it is clear OS X is a great dev environment, and we’d like to be on the same place via JRUN as our production.Cheers – Kudos for the blog

16. Tina says:

Hello,I am having trouble installing jrun on os x.I believe it has something to do with the fact that I’ve already updated my jvm to 1.4.1.This assumption is based on your blog entry http://www.markme.com/cantrell/archives/003019.cfm.Now this entry is very helpful in stating how to perform a command line install of coldfusion mx, but do you know how to perform a command line install of jrun4?Thanks for any help you can offer.

17. peter says:

Just swithced to Mac OS X for Windows.It’s a new Mac and I too am having problems installing JRun4. It does not seem to create a bin just two folders containing docs like Install log etc.

18. thewolf says:

Hi,any news on the JRun Updater2 release for Mac OS X?Thanks.

19. For me, installing ColdFusion MX 6.1 on OS X was a breeze.I have gotten it working on the new Jaguar as well. You guys should buy Jaguar and try it out. Apple has really made some great user interface changes that makes it even easier to use!!! (I never thought they could os x better, but those tech monkey did indeed get it done 🙂

20. UK domain names says: