Birthday Money

Today is my birthday, and since I’m notoriously difficult to shop for, my family usually just sends me money. I’ve accumulated a couple hundred dollars so far, but I’m having difficulty deciding on what to pick up. The next big thing I have my eye on is a new Handspring Treo 600, but I have to wait until AT&T supports it, which is likely to be several months. I’m considering:

• Playstation 2. I don’t have a lot of time for gaming, but I have a few friends across the country who think they can beat me online in Tiger Woods 2004 and the upcoming new version of SSX.
  • Apple iSight
  • Nike Shox. I’m in need of a new pair of shoes, and I think Nike Shox are the coolest ones out there.

Of course, what I really want is a new 15″ Powerbook, but I’ll need a lot more checks and gift certificates before that happens. If you had about $200 or $300 to blow before the end of the week, what would you do? (Hint: I already have an iPod and a GBA SP.)

13 Responses to Birthday Money

1. mike chambers says:

Hey, this should be a poll using pollster!mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

2. Rob Brooks-Bilson says:

Tivo Series 2 and a copy of O’Reilly’s Hacking Tivo

3. Christian Cantrell says:

I forgot to mention that I recently got a Tivo, but I don’t have the O’Reilly book.

4. Todd Fraser says:

Hey, it’s my birthday too!! So far I’ve gotten a couple of DVDs from my girlfriend (I too am rather difficult to shop for). Since I work on web development quite a bit as well, my Xbox seems to be collecting a nice layer of dust. Probably, the smartest purchase would be the shoes. I’ve seen those Shox, they’re pretty damn nice. Anywho, have a great birthday! 🙂

5. I’d say go for the PS2.

6. Greg Narain says:

Happy birthday! I got my Treo 600 on Monday. I think it’s pretty cool but I’ve had too much damned work to even pick the thing up.. combine that with being used to the Treo 300 menu and I essentially don’t know how to use my phone :)How about a digicam of sorts? Those are always cool and handy.. Gateway’s got a sweet MPEG4 camera that records only to SD.. it’a $199.00 :)I’m getting one of those next week.. haha. .seriously it’s all for work 😉

7. Christian Cantrell says:

Let me know how you like your camera. That’s not a bad idea. I have a digital SLR (Canon D30). It’s great, but big and heavy and doesn’t do MPEG4. My digital video camera is actually an 8mm, so that tells you how old it is.

8. Happy Birthday!GO for an XBox!

9. Christian: I’ll second Peter’s XBox recommendation… my PS2 has been virtually unused since the XBox and Gamecube were released. Plus, putting money in Microsoft’s pocket means you can pick up a copy of Halo today, and grab a copy of the upgraded GTA3/Vice City combo that will be released on Xbox here in a few weeks.

10. Alex Sherwood says:

Dont get the PS2! Wait for the PSX (soon to be released) that will have DVR functionality built in.For 200 bucks, you could put a dent into a nice DV camcorder….unless you’ve got one?!

11. Matt says:

SLIMP3 – http://www.slimdevices.com/Definetly one of the coolest things I’ve ever bought; I actually just got a second one for a growing whole house audio project.

12. I already did blow mine on the 15″ Powerbook and the iSight. I am using the iSight on my XP machine whilest they are building my powerbook. it is a great camera so far. You wont get as much use out of it as a ps2, but it depends entirely on taste

13. Scott Boms says:

Get the iSight. If you haven’t tried one they’re fantastic!