Editing External ActionScript Files

I’ve asked about ColdFusion editors before, but now I’m specifically interested in what people are using for ActionScript editing on both Windows and OS X. The built-in editor? Dreamweaver? BBEdit? TextPad? EditPlus? SubEthaEdit? Emacs? What kind of highlighting are you getting, and does anyone have any type of “insight” features working? What do you like about your editor, and what is it lacking? What version of ActionScript are you editing? Don’t hold back!

15 Responses to Editing External ActionScript Files

1. bokel says:

eclipse with colorer plugin

2. Cesar says:

SciTE|Flash for AS1 projects, and PrimalCode for AS 2.0 projects

3. Daniel Dura says:

I was a scite junkie, but bounced between it and eclipse. There is no doubt that with a little development of some AS geared plugins, eclipse would kill any of AS editor. Now that IBM is building plugins for Flex, maybe we can convince them to build some for just standard flash AS development 🙂

4. aral says:

Using the Flash MX 2004 editor and hating it. Sometimes switching to PrimalScript. Having intellij / Eclipse to compare it to doesn’t help. Dreamweaver is a royal pain in the you-know-what and really deserves a class action suit for all its faults.So you could say I’m fervently waiting for the AS2 plug-in for Eclipse. I hope you guys are working hard on it with IBM. What? You haven’t started yet..?

5. Scott Boms says:

BBEdit 7.1 with ActionSctip Language module (primary), SubEthaEdit with ActionScript 2.0 syntax plug-in (second choice) and on occasion Flash MX 2004’s built-in editor.I still find Flash MX 2004 7.01 pretty buggy on the Mac even though 7.01 is an improvement in some areas.

6. Michael says:

I currently use VIM with the code highliting for JavaScript for all my external action script files. I started off using HomeSite+, but I found the overhead an instability not very nice, even though it is better then Dreamweaver.I know some other Software Engineer’s at my comany use JEdit to do some ActionScript editing as well.

7. Michael says:

8. Peter Elst says:

Have always been using SciTE|Flash, and SE|PY for AS 2.0 stuff.For collaborative projects I prefer Homesite because it integrates very well with TortoiseCVS.

9. JesterXL says:

Flash for _root and small components.Dreamweaver 2k4 for external components & classes.SE|PY when I’m feeling adventurous.I like Dreamweaver because of it’s search & replace w/ regular expressions (I use rarely, but when I need them, a life saver), it’s tabs, and it’s code hinting for Flashcom (back in MX). I also liked it’s colors being different for ASC vs. AS back in MX (both are the same, but Flash’s MX internal editor colors are different). Additionally, goes well when doing HTML stuff at the same time as well as doing all my XML stuff in it, too.I don’t like Dreamweaver’s lack of component code-hints, have no clue how to extend it like you can using CustomActions in Flash, 2k4 seems to have lost the AS template (but still has Flashcom and Flash Remoting), and it’s a memory hog (feels like it anyway). I don’t like how on Windows you have to Control + Alt + } to indent, where as in Flash it’s just Control + }.I like SE|PY’s function browser, but do not like it’s initial color scheme nor the ways in which I have to change the color scheme (a GUI guy).All in all, I could still live the rest of my life in Flash MX/2k4’s editor (maybe I’m the only one), but maybe tieing in Dreamweaver a little more with Flash’s CustomActions, maybe adding a compile button + keyboard command, and maybe a “open AS in dreamweaver” command in Flash, through JSAPI or whatever.

10. PrimalScript 3.1 (currently in beta).1. Full code hinting for custom classes (very similar to how intellisense works)2. Class browser3. Context sensitive integration with Flash’s help system4. Function drop down5. Fast6. RegExp searching across files7. Integrates with TortoiseCVS (via shell)8. Project workspace management9. Bookmarking features10. and some more 🙂

11. Brian LeRoux says:

I am using the internal editor and SE|PY but like Jesse I do not like SE|PY’s color sceme all that much. The class browser is a godsend though.Think I’m going to go checkout this primal script…..

12. Samuel Nef says:

PrimalScript for all the reasons Chafic mention. By far best IDE for AS2. Other things I’m working on adding to PrimalScript via tools extensions:1. Generate SWF via JSFL and view within PrimalScript tab.2. View trace() output within PrimalScript in an Output tab via LocalConnection conduit.Both have been proven doable via prototypes, just have to find time to actually finalize them.Note to anyone who wants to check it out, the AS2 support version is still in beta. Hopefully will be released or public beta soon!

13. Peter says:

Dreamweaver is the best!

14. jemma jones says:

Using the Flash MX 2004 editor but find this really difficult have to switch to PrimalScript!