I Need Some RSS Aggregator Feedback

As you probably know, Macromedia is pretty invested in RSS/weblogs/aggregators/etc. We’ve been blogging for well over two years, and we’re aggregating over 300 feeds with MXNA with about 35,000 Macromedia related posts archived. Developer Center content has been available as RSS for about year and a half, and now TechNotes, security bulletins and product update information is available through the Macromedia Product RSS Feeds.

But what I’m interested in today is aggregators, and other ways people access not just Macromedia news, but any kind of news. Aggregators have come a long over the last two years, and at this point, options abound. There are great online options, offline options, and even iPod options. What I want to know is:

1. Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one? If not, why?
  2. What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?
  4. How many feeds are you aggregating?
  5. How often to you use your aggregator?
  6. Anything else interesting and aggregator-related you want to share?

Feel free to leave any type of comment you want, and/or take the survey on the right (you can reload the page to answer the poll multiple times). Thanks!

33 Responses to I Need Some RSS Aggregator Feedback

1. David Bisset says:

Using FeedDemon at the moment, everyday. Aggregate everything from Flash to web development to gadgets to games. At least 1000+ feeds. Probably closer to 1300 or 1400. I’d say about 60%-70% of them are above average.

2. ericd says:

pulpfiction for OSX.

3. Jeremiah says:

> Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one? If not, why?Yes, NetNewsWire.> What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?Real News (Fox News Channel, BBC, Y! Reuters, CS MonitorMac News (MacMinute, MacNN, MacCentral)Tech News (/., C|Net, SpaceToday.net, Wired)Web Dev (All you Macromedia people, several Mozilla people, the new IE team blog)Online Journals (friends, LiveJournals, etc.)Online Communities (LiveJournal communities)> What do you like about your aggregator? What do you dislike? What could make it better?Atom support, HTML rendering, Small resource usage, Dock icon notification of new posts, folders for grouping like-topic feeds,> How many feeds are you aggregating?47> How often to you use your aggregator?It checks hourly and it’s always open.> Anything else interesting and aggregator-related you want to share?Atom rocks. Everyone should put the full content of the post within the feed. Quick access to a posts comments page would be nice.

4. joe rinehart says:

>1. Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one? If not, why?Yes and no? I use fullAsAGoog and the MXNA. I don’t use dedicated aggregator software because, frankly, I’m lazy and would rather have someone else maintain what feeds I’m reading. For real news, I’ll just hit CNN.COM.2. What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?Just industry news.3. What do you like about your aggregator? What do you dislike? What could make it better?Again – I don’t have to maintain it. Dislikes: OT posts, but that’s the penalty for me not maintaining my own.4. How many feeds are you aggregating?N/A – out of my control.5. How often to you use your aggregator?Whenever something is taking a while to load in another Firefox tab.6. Anything else interesting and aggregator-related you want to share?Nope, that’s pretty much it from me.

5. 1. Aggregator:I use Sage for Firefox but used to use NetNewsWire. Sage is convenient (one less tool to keep open) but doesn’t seem to reliably refresh feed data :(2. What kind:Lots of CF / Fusebox / Mach II / Macromedia blogs, some Flash, some Java, some Mac OS X stuff, assorted random personal blogs, BBC News, Slashdot, The Register, some Open Source stuff.3. Likes / Dislikes:Likes: integrated to a tool I already use. Dislikes: fails to update feeds reliably. I’d like to be able to filter based on category (for blogs that use them); requires you to be online to read posts (the offline aspect of NetNewsWire was great). I may switch back to NNW at some point.4. How many:Just over 100 at the moment.5. How often:Open all the time. I force an update at least once a day, usually two or three times.6. Other:Having full text posts in the feed is great (saves having to visit the website).

6. Marlon Moyer says:

1. Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one? If not, why?Bloglines!2. What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?Lots of CF stuff, CNN, Dilbert, TechBargains!3. What do you like about your aggregator? What do you dislike? What could make it better?Great interface. Thin Client, who wants to have 1 more app running on their machine. Also, it collects feeds 24×7. I don’t have to worry that Slashdot had too many stories overnight and I missed some. Also, the recommendations based on your current picks are spot on. The clippings feature is pretty cool also.4. How many feeds are you aggregating?475. How often to you use your aggregator?It’s in a tab on Firefox at all times

7. I do likes certain way in understanding various weblogs systems,most interesting.

8. pi says:

one of my blog tools is dreamweaver.dw is aware the blogs site structure.//contribute should have blog templates.

9. Steve Ray says:

ditto on Sage for Firefox.

10. Roland Collins says:

1. NewsGator – it’s an aggregator that is integrated with Outlook, which means I get email, calendar, and rss feeds all in one interface.2. Techie blogs and tech news feeds mostly.3. It’s integrated with a client I use already use, making my life a _lot_ simpler. No major complaints.4. 25-305. Daily.6. Being able to apply Outlook-style rules to my Newsgator-collected feeds is invaluable. It allows me to be immediately notified of items I’m waiting for, while leaving less important items for later.

11. 1. Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one? If not, why?Newzcrawler on the desktop… which is an appalling omission from the poll, by the way.JournURL on the server… I use the integrated aggregator to create an edited, theoretically fluff-free Coldfusion-related feed.2. What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?All kinds. Literally.3. What do you like about your aggregator? What do you dislike? What could make it better?Newzcrawler… the best client on the market, with FeedDemon as its only real Windows competition. Best feature: threading of blog comments. All it’s really missing is a slightly improved newspaper view, which is coming in the next release.JournURL… I’m biased, so I’ll simply say that a downside is that it doesn’t yet support Atom feeds. Although with something like Feedburner out there, that isn’t the end of the world.4. How many feeds are you aggregating?Newzcrawler… a couple hundred, although that number is misleading. Some of them are synthetic feeds, encapsulating dozens (or more) individual feeds. And some of them are utilitarian things like referrer feeds from various blogs.JournURL… around 30 CF-related blogs.5. How often to you use your aggregator?Constantly.

12. Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one? If not, why?Yes indeed. Bloglines. I can access it anywhere. I also use FeedDemon.What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?ColdFusion stuff mainly but also the Macromedia feeds, full-as-a-goog, etc.What do you like about your aggregator? What do you dislike? What could make it better?It’s free and it’s fast.How many feeds are you aggregating?48 feeds at the moment.How often to you use your aggregator?More than once a day.Anything else interesting and aggregator-related you want to share?Nup.

13. Mark says:

1. Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one? If not, why?Feeddemon2. What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?Tech blogs, news, MM technotes, product updates (sourceforge) and our CVS repository3. What do you like about your aggregator? What do you dislike? What could make it better?If the browser was not IE I’d be a lot happier.4. How many feeds are you aggregating?100 or so5. How often to you use your aggregator?Couple of times a day.

14. Kenji says:

1- Bloglines2- blogs, linux stuff, mobile news and forums, gadgets, news3- server agregate, interface, I can browse my feeds everywhere. It could be better if it had a better PDA interface4- 995- more than once a day

15. 1. FullasaGoog, Macromedia MXNA, InternetRetailer, DrudgeReport,Newsmax,Ecommerce-Internet.com2. I use DesktopSidebar to grab my rss newsfeeds it emulates longhorn’s sidebar plus a ton of nice features.3. I think the next step is having an aggregate research and encyclopedia.So that we can research thru time, using previous blog posts to help educate and learn…Blogging is about personal sharing of knowledge, wisdom, experience, skills, humor, daily life.So it behooves us to create tools to help create better ways to assimilate the best of aggregated blogs.Also for blogging to grow it needs to provide more technological resources, to help allow more programming and more options for advertising and so forth…

16. Graham Pearson says:

I use Newzcrawler and have RSS Feeds from Macromedia, SecurityFocus and selected Topics that help in my day to day operation of Web Application Developer. In all I have approx 500 different feeds being updated on a daily basis

17. Greg Bair says:

> 1. Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one? If not, why?Yes, Bloglines>2. What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?All kinds of stuff. News, Word-a-day, blogs, Art, email> 3. What do you like about your aggregator? What do you dislike? What could make it better?The fact that it’s web-based. It’d be hell keeping two aggregators current at home and work. I don’t like that if I accidentally click on a feed, the feed I was just viewing loses the info. Add some code that counts how long it’s been since I checked out that feed/folder, and if it’s under a certain amount of time, then show me the old stuff, too.> 4. How many feeds are you aggregating?111, though that’s down from the 180 I had before I decided to simplify and higher than the 50 I simplified to. I’m a junkie.> 5. How often to you use your aggregator?All day, every day>6. Anything else interesting and aggregator-related you want to share?No, because then you’ll steal my ideas :o).

18. I’m using Central. I like it, though I wish I could make it not grab certain feed categories except for ondemand and I’d really like to be able to set preferences for what feed category is focused and expanded when it loads. Other than that I think it’s cool. Unlike the weather and movie apps, it gives me information that’s even useful from London 😉 I’m not grabbing too many feeds at the moment – maybe 20 or so… but there are a lot I’m going to add soon. Just haven’t had the time.

19. William Peckham says:

Personally, I use feedreader. It lacks some of the newer bells and whistles, but it has everything I need. An important advantage is that it keeps its feed database in an XML file that I can manage using PERL. I realy like that.

20. Tom Kitta says:

I just started using an agregator. They are gaining some popularity, but still not mainstream AFAIK. The initial impulse to use an agregator came as both a test of my blog at my web site (www.tomkitta.com) and to read blogs of other MM product users (including this one).

21. Tom Kitta says:

22. 1. Bloglines2. BBC and other news, plus a variety of business, web dev, journalism, blogging, SEO related sources & blogs. Oh and Garfield!3. Find it more convenient than having yet another piece of software. Can’t find fault with them.4. 71 feeds as of today5. Daily, often several times

23. Ben Jacobson says:

blogexpress, feedemon (for 30 days), sage, i can’s seem to find one i really like, i do like the sage intigration with firefox, but its not as fast as blogexpress.mostly tech news, friends blogs, art news, and news newsI have about 100 that I skim, but i only read about 30-40 of them.in the morning, and at night.but if Macromedia came out with a streamlined, easy to use, simple yet looks good, reader, I would use it, you could end up leading the rss news movment.

24. Deb Fleming says:

1. Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one? If not, why?Yes, I use Bloglines, because i use multiple computers at work and need to keep the feed history syncronized.2. What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?General news (nation/world), local, tech, advice columns, comics, weather, religion, book reviews, professional, celebrity gossip, new product feeds at some web stores, freinds’ blogs, community blogs. Bloglines also lets me have an email address that shows up as a feed, and I send newsletters for sites that don’t have RSS to that address.3. What do you like about your aggregator? What do you dislike? What could make it better?I like that I can use it from any computer, anywhere. I like almost everything about it. I dislike that my display preference for the frame size is not saved.4. How many feeds are you aggregating?665. How often to you use your aggregator?I probably average twice a day.6. Anything else interesting and aggregator-related you want to share?I’m to the point where there are very few info sources I’ll check via the web if they don’t have RSS or a newsletter. People will lose the tech-savvy audience if they don’t jump on board this trend. Not ebing able to advertise is a specious argument – if they offer story summaries in their feed, people will still click through to the site to read full stories, where advertising can be served. The New York Times is using that model, and I think it works well.

25. Paul Peterson says:

I use Bloglines to monitor about 60 feeds. Because Bloglines is an online aggregator, I can keep up with the feeds at home and at work, on a PC and on a Mac.

26. eyezberg says:

Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one?My own: http://www.eyezberg.com/menu/Flash_Blog_Viewer/What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?Flash blogs and some other stuff…What do you like about your aggregator?It’s “Flashy” so I like it :-)What do you dislike? What could make it better?Include images (need to make an AS2 version)How many feeds are you aggregating?Flash: about 150, + some others..How often to you use your aggregator?DailyAnything else interesting and aggregator-related you want to share?Include one WITH PHP backend on the next DRK!

27. deb Overbey says:

1. Do you use an aggregator?I use the on-line aggregator Blog-lines. Its functionality is great and the most important feature is that I can check it from any Internet connection, anytime.2. What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?I aggregate about fifty feeds which I check once daily. I keep them very specific and limited so that I don’t get overwhelmed with information. My first priority is soccer information : ) and then I get down to business:web developmentlibrary industry newsbooks and authorsTom Toles!Comment – I am a recent convert to RSS. I had avoided it thinking that the e-mail subscriptions were serving me fine. One of those Library newsletters mentioned how the lightbulbs came on during a hands-on session trying Bloglines and so I gave it a try and, almost instantly, was amazed by how much easier it is to digest all the different aspects of news that I’m interested in – without becoming overwhelmed.

28. Peter Breuls says:

My answers to the questions can be found on my blog: http://blog.breuls.org/2004/08/16.html#a28

29. Tim Goral says:

Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one?Yes, I use NetNewsWireWhat kinds of news and information do you aggregate?My favorite blogs and the news sources I rely on.How many feeds are you aggregating?20 (and counting)How often to you use your aggregator?several times a day

30. 1. Do you use an aggregator? If so, which one?Yes. A very hacked-up Feed on Feeds, with my own enhancements/bugs…2. What kinds of news and information do you aggregate?Weblogs, news sites, images, links, any sort of data…3. What do you like about your aggregator? What do you dislike? What could make it better?It’s open-source, I can enhance it anytime I like, it’s server-based, it uses MySQL…4. How many feeds are you aggregating?257 and counting…5. How often to you use your aggregator?Anywhere from zero to a few times per day…6. Anything else interesting and aggregator-related you want to share?Nope!

31. Slick says:

I use My Yahoo’s RSS Beta.I like that it’s web-based.I dislike that I cannot use it offline.It would be better if I could load feeds to my Palm M515, and my tablet PC (like MSNBC’s Wireless Traveler).I receive about 100 feeds.I use it daily.

32. I am using sharpreader daily. I have around 100 newsfeeds I am following moreless. I am no longer reading more than a headline and once a day i go thourgh 10 my favourite subscriptions.