The Move is Almost Over

I haven’t been blogging much lately because I am still in the process of moving to San Francisco (two weeks after it started). The good news is that I actually got into my house on Saturday, so now it’s primarily a matter of unpacking and getting services turned on. My top priority is an internet connection, and I’m currently investigating both DSL and cable. I’ve used both in the past, and had great luck with both, so at this point, I’m pretty much just comparing pricing.

So my question for you this morning is DSL or cable in the San Francisco area?

11 Responses to The Move is Almost Over

1. Charley Lu says:

Cable is faster in SF.

2. John Dowdell says:

Do you know what type of video and telephone services you’ll want? There’s a lot of bundling going on these days… SBC is said to be starting up an innovative project soon.(Translation: “innovative project soon” means “it sounded interesting to me at the time but I forgot the details and am admittedly too lazy to search right now”…. 😉

3. Tyler Fitch says:

I picked the cable modem when I moved here from Portland two months ago. Mainly because I’ve always used a cable modem. I’ve never had anything but a cell phone and couldn’t get DSL w/o a real phone. Now I’ve added a VoIP phone for my SF house to have a local number here and kept the same # on my cell phone so my old friends can call me locally back home.Having a VoIP phone on a DSL connection that you generally already have a phone with seemed a little lame. It swayed me from the DSL service.That’s my $0.02.

4. Jennifer Larkin says:

Insert typical engineer answer here: it depends.We went with Sonic.net DSL, which allows us 8 static IP addresses and whopping download speed. Upload speed didn’t increase when we went from the 4 static ips account to the 8 ips account, but download speed went up considerably. I’ve had houseguests stunned by our download speed.Our connection has been quite stable. We have outages when our power goes out, which would happen with cable too. Other than that, we’ve only had about 2 serious problems in two years, one of which was caused by a virus behind our firewall.The good news is that in San Francisco, there are a lot of DSL options. The bad news is that in the end, all the DSL options go through the phone company and the phone company’s support can really suck. It can take a while to get DSL turned on at the phone company, and even then, your internal wiring makes a difference. But then, talk to Tyler about getting cable in his house. It all works now, but sheesh.I recommend that you talk to your neighbors. Since the stability of both cable and DSL depends on the hardware that you connect to, poll the neighors and see if they have had problems with either of them. If they have, you can pretty much guarantee that you will too. All of the wiring issues, distance from the phone company hardware, stability of cable issues are localized to the building.Bake something, pass it out to the neighbors and use the food to distract them while you ask them what kind of connection they have. 🙂

5. mike chambers says:

>Bake something, pass it out to the neighbors and use the food to distract them while you ask them what kind of connection they have. :)Or invite them over to play some halo!mike

6. Mihir Sanghavi says:

Dear Christian,I am also a Casio twincept watch fanatic. I truly love the idea of a digital overlay over an analog watch. It also gives you the ability turn off the digital overlay if you want the watch to look a bit more formal. I bought the Casio WVX100DA-7AV watch (check it out at http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.archivedproduct&CATALOG=Watches&SECTION=Waveceptor&Product=WVX100DA%2D7AV ) on the internet only to later find out that the watch is no longer available because Casio discontinued it. It is very disappointing that Casio would do such a thing with so nice a watch. In fact, in the months after they discontinued it, I was hoping that they did so because they were bringing a better watch like that into the market, but that never happened. Do you have any idea why they would discontinue such a watch?Take care,-Mihir.

7. I’m personally a fan of DSL, but mostly because I host my website at home, and have a hosting friendly ISP. I have DSL without a regular phone line, but use a VOIP service (Lingo) for home phone service.But yeah, it really depends I suppose.. do you care about upstream bandwith? Is the cable company in SF evil? etc etc…

8. Jennifer Larkin says:

The cable company in most of SF is Comcast, take that as you will. I think there is a small secondary one, but cable is divided up by region. There are actually multiple comcast listings for SF on the tv-guide site. You basically have to compare the list of channels that comes with your cable box to the lists on tv-guide to figure out which version of Comcast you get.One thing that I forgot to mention about my DSL service — the second time we had a major outage to our DSL connection, SBC “accidentally” turned off DSL connectivity for everyone in our area who was not a Comcast DSL subscriber, late on a Friday afternoon. Sounds convenient, eh? Point is, we’ve never had a major DSL outage that was the fault of our DSL provider.Honestly, my cable goes out more often than my DSL. But the cable wiring in my building is so screwed up that it stuns cable repairmen. The wiring apparently exits the house about 3 times after entering the house.

9. I have Comcast and get 2.2Mbps download (last time I checked). DSL offered faster uploads but slower downloads.Definitely YMMV…

10. Christian Cantrell says:

Thanks for all your feedback. I decided to go with cable television (over satellite) and a cable internet connection, primarily because my house already has coaxial in every room, so I can try it with no contracts, no commitments, and no installation. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll go the DSL satellite route which, interestingly enough, actually comes out to be almost the exact same cost. Probably no coincidence.