MXNA 2.0 and Character Encoding

Supporting so many different languages with MXNA 2.0 has forced me to learn a
great deal about character encoding, which I’m very thankful for. I have been
writing US/English-centric applications for too long, and I’m very happy to now
be supporting the international community. We are now aggregating 55 non-English
feeds in 16 different languages, and I have about a dozen more in the queue
waiting to be approved. I’d say we’re adding non-English feeds at a rate of about
25 per week, at this point.

This level of support has not been easy. Unfortunately, parsing, storing, and
displaying information in any language takes a fair amount of work, even with languages
like ColdFusion and Java. I have fixed several encoding related bugs over the last
few days, so if you have seen character encoding problems, please go back and try
again. Specifically, I have fixed the following:

  • When servers do not report a specific character encoding, or report the wrong
    encoding, MXNA can still parse the feed.
  • The character encoding for the generated
    RSS feeds and OPML files should now be correct (utf-8) and all characters
    should be rendered properly.
  • The character encoding for MXNA
    Mobile
    is now correct, and
    all characters should be rendered properly.

Everything in MXNA 2.0 should be encoded as UTF-8, and all languages and characters
should be supported with no exceptions. If you see any encoding issues, please let
me know so that we can continue to provide the international community with the
best support possible.

Oh, and if you happen to see some non-English posts that you don’t think are appropriate
for MXNA, please let me know. We’re counting on the community to help police
and approve content.