Replacing Trackbacks with Google References

You may have discovered by now that Google recently released their new Blog Search beta. So far, as always, I’ve been impressed. I’m experimenting with replacing the concept of trackbacks on my blog with Google References (see the "References" link in the post footer). This should use Google Blog Search to find all the blogs that link to specific posts of mine. Maybe a few people will link to this post as a good test case. I wonder how long it will take Google to index the references.

If you’re interested in doing the same thing, just check out how the link URL is constructed, and it should be pretty clear. If you’re using Movable Type, here’s the code:

<a href="http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?q=link%3A<$MTEntryPermalink archive_type="Individual"$>">References</a>

11 Responses to Replacing Trackbacks with Google References

1. Pete Freitag says:

You could also take it a step further, and grab the Atom feed and list the top references?I don’t see the link in the footer, not there yet?

2. Pete Freitag says:

To clarify – the references link is on the main page but not on the permalink page.

3. Not a bad idea. I’d put the ref link on the detail page too though. I may add this to BlogCFC.

4. I’ve added the link to the individual archives now, and several other pages.

5. Dave Carabetta says:

Just a heads up that the code snippet box doesn’t render correctly in IE (v6 on XP). It’s completely collapsed and there’s a horizontal scroll bar only.

6. I just found this entry via Google Blog Search!Your first commenter mentioned pulling the feed for your search and listing all the links of those linking to you. I’ve actually just finished doing this for my blog, am still in testing mode.There are two ways (at least) of doing it.One, a javascript inclusion of the feed, might be workable. I’ve tried using Feed2JS for this. The other is a plugin for including feeds into Movable Type, which is the route I’ve taken because javascript isn’t always enabled in browsers and Feed2JS sometimes returned an error. Here’s a link to my latest entry on the process: Hacking Into MT.

7. Mike says:

I am so impressed with this new search and with Google itself. I like now that when I search the web I am not puling up blogs in the top results I am actually pulling up what I am looking for.

8. Steve says:

Very cool, I would love to be able to use this, as most of the blogging portals I use do not accept the trakcback feature, and I would lov eto use it! Perhaps this will be more widely used one day.Not sure if I got the link right, is there an documentation for using the blogger trackback with yahoo 360?Looks very promising!

9. Another Google success story. I will put a link on my MT blog and see if it works.

10. DVD says:

Are you going to post any good ones that people send in to you? Would love to see what others come up with.

11. GDS says:

I’d put the ref link on the detail page too