Day two at Adobe (and why my email address is changing)

It’s still strange to say I work for Adobe now, but the integration is going well. For the most part, the change is gradual, but a few things have happened overnight:

  1. We now have free sodas. With all the complexities of merging two big companies, someone actually took the time to make sure our sodas were free on day one. Nice touch!
  2. Email. I spent most of the day yesterday getting Outlook reconfigured. My favorite email client is Apple’s, but when I switched to Windows a few months ago, I decided to go all the way and give Outlook a try. Despite the fact that it’s woefully lacking in some areas, and not overly easy to work with, it’s pretty powerful when combined with Exchange. Anyway, my Macromedia email account (folders and messages) was migrated, but not my filters, so I spent a large portion of the day yesterday unsubscribing from email lists, resubscribing with my new Adobe email address, and creating new filters to keep my mail organized.

I was also informed yesterday by the Adobe IT department that my external Macromedia email address accounts for 77% of all virus related email inside of Macromedia, and 40% inside of Adobe. That’s quite a distinction to have bestowed upon me. I don’t have any viruses myself — those numbers refer specifically to virus related email being sent to me. The reason is most likely because my Macromedia address is very public. It’s posted everywhere, and apparently it is in a lot of infected Outlook address books. Anyway, the upshot is that my old external Macromedia email address,, is getting shut down to reduce email traffic, and I’m switching to this one:

The old address will get shut down at some point today at which point this will be the best way to reach me.

function alertNewEA() {
var ema = ‘ch’;
ema += ‘ris’;
ema += ‘tian’;
ema += ‘.’;
ema += ‘cant’;
ema += ‘rell’;
ema += ‘@’;
ema += ‘adobe’;
ema += ‘.’;
ema += ‘com’;