Apollo Application Demos

Mike Chambers interviewed me the other day about what I do on the Apollo team, and asked me to show a couple apps I’ve been working on. You can check it out the Google Video, or download the mp4.

27 Responses to Apollo Application Demos

1. Nice! :)May be a tabbed interface for future versions.And also what about to integrate with Windows desktop? An interactive desktop would be a good idea to follow up daily work with integration mail or task applications. 🙂

2. fro says:

Nice demo Christian. I can’t wait to see more.

3. Zac Belado says:

What codex was the video saved with? Playback was very choppy on my Mac. I actually wasn’t able to watch it at all.

4. Hey Christian,I can’t wait. Looks like you’re having a blast building test apps. Very impressive dragging addresses onto the map. Good work.

5. mike chambers says:

–What codex was the video saved with?–mp4 h.264It is pretty high resolution, 720P. It runs fine on my intel macbook pro, but might push the limits on some older machines.The version on google video is lower res, so that should run better, but, of course, it is lower res so it doesnt look as good.mike chambersmesh@adobe.com

6. –And also what about to integrate with Windows desktop?–We will have tighter desktop integration (both Mac and Windows) in future versions of Apollo.Christian

7. Campbell says:

Man you have the best job in the world….go make cool stuff with the latest cool stuff!!! Looks good bro well done.

8. Ross says:

Cool video, nice to see some Apollo in action, and I get to find your blog in the process – I am thinking you may well have one of the coolest dev jobs available at the moment :)I’m not sure if I missed the question or not, or just mis-understood it. Mention was made about integrating with the desktop in the form of the Dock or the Notification Tray (or whatever), but will Apollo be extensible in the form of shared libs etc? If I wanted my PNG, for whatever reason, to be rendered with ‘native’ code? I am thinking things like integration with Address Book, iCal etc.

9. Stephen says:

You do have the coolest job in the world. I’m really looking forward to Apollo, got plans for it already.

10. Can you provide some details on how the “add to my watchlist” button that you added in Amazon communicates with the desktop app?Is it by loading a special url, like “apollo:data”, or a MIME type association, or by having a flash object loaded as part of the Amazon page (with a special communication channel between the two Flash components)?

11. I can’t complain about my job. It’s a lot of work (lots of apps, lots of specifications, lots of meetings), but it’s a ton of fun, and the Apollo team is first rate. I’ll probably release all these apps once Apollo is available, so stay tuned.Christian

12. Ross,We are not planning on enabling native extensibility in Apollo 1.0. Is there a specific use case you have in mind?Christian

13. Julien,I wrote a Firefox extension to insert the button into Amazon product pages. The button uses LocalConnection to communicate with the Apollo application. We will continue to support LocalConnection communication between web applications and Apollo desktop applications so this type of integration will be (and actually already is) totally possible. We will also be adding some additional features to Apollo to make this type of integration even smoother. Details to come.Christian

14. scott says:

Christian, I have a few questions if you don’t mind. I’ve been using Flash to build multimedia CD’s for while now. Here are some examples if you want to check them out. This one was for a music class (these are flash movie projectors by the way): win | mac.This one I built for ACM, it’s the homefront links on the middle of the page. How difficult or easy will it be to convert the swf’s for this content to Apollo? Will it maintain the external links to the video?, and what about the sandbox security settings currently in place with flash, how will those be handled?Thanks,Scott

15. Hey Man,Cool demo. I like how the second VCard dragged on then provides the directions, slick! Ya VCards suck! Since I ditched to Outlook to Thunderbird/Thunderbird/Gmail I’m in a world of hurt!Have you seen Dave’s demo with an Ajax Grid and Google Maps? You can copy addresses from Excel into it the Ajax Grid and then they get plotted on the map. http://blogs.nitobi.com/andre/?p=204 – I’d love to get this running in Apollo, I’m going to chat with Dave about it.Let’s build some cool shiznit!Andre.

16. Paulius Uza says:

Chris,Will Apollo applications have the ability to use mouse right-click for custom actions (not to show the built-in menu like in FP)?We are looking into game development with Apollo and it would be a really cool feature.

17. I’m curious about it to work with Apollo too.Hope this will be soon ;)And as you said it, Chris, a form of alerts and all that would really cool!So hope to see more demos like this one! ;)regards,Johannes

18. Paulius,Yes, you will have full control over the right-click menu.Christian

19. michael says:

Christian,I love the video. I’m trying to build a desktop-web integrated photo application and I’m playing with Flex right now. Problem is, I can’t figure out how to get access to the filesystem? I can’t get Javascript/ActiveX to do the trick.Do I need to wait for Apollo to do this — or turn to Zinc?

20. Steve Harris says:

Christian,I’ve been watching Apollo for sometime as technology option for converging some of our organizations web and desktop projects.My only concern in adopting it is support for integration with native, Java or similar libraries. We can’t solve all our requirements with web services alone. Some direct interaction with other desktop applications or API’s are required.What is the plan for this and can you provide any timings for this sort of support?Many thanks – I’ll be continuing to watch Apollo’s evolution with keen interest.

21. Bryan Wills says:

Christian,I am trying to get localConnection to work from a browser based swf to an Apollo app. Can you explain how you did this? I am getting null status and a”SecurityError: Error #2000: No active security context.” when I try to debug it in Flex. The documentation is kinda limited at this point so any help or sample code would be awesome! Thanks-b

22. dekorasyon says:

I am trying to get localConnection to work from a browser based swf to an Apollo app. Can you explain how you did this? I am getting null status and a”SecurityError: Error #2000: No active security context.” when I try to debug it in Flex. The documentation is kinda limited at this point so any help or sample code would be awesome! Thanks-bPosted by: Bryan Wills at March 21, 2007 09:31 AM

23. Steve says:

I get this error too and no documentation anywhere!

24. m trying to get localConnection to work from a browser based swf to an Apollo app. Can you explain how you did this? I am getting null status and a”SecurityError: Error #2000:

25. I am trying to get localConnection to work from a browser based swf to an Apollo app. Can you explain how you did this?

26. asli says: