Maptacular on Diggnation

A few of us went up to the Digg offices the other day to show them Apollo, and had a really good meeting. I demoed an application I wrote called Maptacular which Kevin Rose mentions in the latest episode of Diggnation. There’s also an interview with Kevin Lynch at the end which was conducted at Apollo camp and is worth watching for a quick summary of Apollo, and a brief history of how and why Apollo came to be.

If you watch the entire episode of Diggnation, I feel I should warn you. Apollo has the distinction of being mentioned in the same episode as "Craziest Urinals From Around The World" and something about a woman’s foot that I’m not going to elaborate on here. May or may not be work-safe, depending on where you work.

Just curious — anyone know how Maptacular got its name? Nobody has mentioned anything about it yet. Hint: it’s related to Mike Chambers’ MP3 player application called Ascension.

8 Responses to Maptacular on Diggnation

1. Stacy Young says:

Did they offer ya a cold one when you walked in the door? 😉

2. Nate says:

I was at apollo camp and thought maptacular was the coolest thing there. I can’t wait for the source.Keep up the good work!

3. Sean says:

Hey Chris, nice work of you, saw some nice things of you in Apollo, but I was wondering when you’ll be releasing Scout 😉 I think some of us are interested in using it, as it offers even more info than FireBug itself.

4. John Perkins says:

ChrisWhat version of Webkit does Apollo Scout use?Scout is very useful.ThanksJohn Perkins

5. Adrock says:

Maptacular and Ascension…..I could tell you on May 16 at 12AM, that is, it you wanna get pwned!XBL: SyndicatePh0biaXBL: Adrocknaphobia

6. baby says:

Hmmm… I’m beginning to wonder who, amongst the bookmark application sites etc. is going to win the bookmark battle. A quick look at some blogs, and the amount of ‘reddit’s’ and ‘digg this’ and whatever this little buttons i’m seeing is getting a little ridiculous. I’m all for competition, but I’m struggling to see the real difference between one and the other, besides that some sites have managed to nail down a particular niche of topic or something.Anyway, I still need to check out Digg completely and see what the hype is all about.

7. “Maptacular is a Flex and HTML Apollo application which lets you drag vCards from your local machine onto a Google map in order to map them. I’m going to release the source pretty soon — I just have to find the time to clean up the code a bit.”very good idea thank you

8. It’s almost a year now and yet I haven’t heard any update about the source you mentioned here. Is it still ongoing or has it been released?